• Done waiting!!

Disneyland RV Park Yesterland

Anybody else remember the official Disneyland RV Park? It was where the parking structure is now. I remember staying at it right before they bulldozed it. It was GREAT! Perfect mix of a decent RV park and Disney magic. They showed old Disney movies at night and it was staffed by regular Cast Members so the guest services were outstanding. I wish they'd bring it back in some corner lot that Disney owns nearby.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland RV Park Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by goofypirate View Post
    Anybody else remember the official Disneyland RV Park? It was where the parking structure is now. I remember staying at it right before they bulldozed it. It was GREAT! Perfect mix of a decent RV park and Disney magic. They showed old Disney movies at night and it was staffed by regular Cast Members so the guest services were outstanding. I wish they'd bring it back in some corner lot that Disney owns nearby.
    There was also a KOA campground in the area - this was all north of the hotel along West Street (now Disneyland Drive north of Katella. They had a lot of fun stuff going on there).

And who could ever forget...the Watergate motel...on the corner of West and Ball...all a part of Yesterland now...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• living to haunt

Oh those were the days. The first time we went to DL with our daughter we stayed at the camp grounds. We had just come from Calico Ghost town for the weekend and she had no idea where we were going. Thanks for the memory. Yesterland is getting pretty full...

My husband worked the Disneyland campground for about 5 yrs, up until the day they closed it.

Whenever we go to the park and we park in the structure out comes the old stories and memories!!
    www.reveles.net
    "a whole lot of nothin"

Not too far from there, across the street, and towards DH were some tennis courts. Disney use to have tournaments for CMs.

Anybody else remember the official Disneyland RV Park?
    Yep. It was called "Disney's Vacationland Campground." It was actually built, owned, and run for many years by an independent company as just "Vacationland." Disney eventually purchased it (and the KOA Campground just next door) and began operating it. I seem to recall when Disney purchased it, that it was never with the long-range intent of keeping a campground there, but was with an eye toward future development.

It was separated from the Disneyland Hotel and the tennis courts by a strawberry field (not to be confused with the strawberry field on Harbor).

Vacationland had some very nice facilities and their own pool and such, but guests at Disney's Vacationland also had full use of all the facilities at the Disneyland Hotel, as well.

A lot of old Vactionland Guests that I've talked to over the years, fondly recall going to sleep or waking up to the toots and bells of the Disneyland Railroad and Mark Twain.

Got some stories and photos of it around here somewhere in the Opus Archives. Will post them when I come across them.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And who could ever forget...the Watergate motel...on the corner of West and Ball...
    Oh yeah. And the all the wrangling Disneyland did when the Watergate first opened boldly advertising "Closed Circuit XXX Movies In Rooms!" Disney never did get them to back down. But the original owners sold the place to someone else and at least the sign went away! The Watergate was never much of what you'd call a "family" joint.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 03-15-2007 at 10:41 AM.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    A lot of old Vactionland Guests that I've talked to over the years, fondly recall going to sleep or waking up to the toots and bells of the Disneyland Railroad and Mark Twain.
    Quite fondly...

------------------

I've stayed several times both at Vacationland and the KOA. Vactionland was better but the KOA was very nice too. I loved staying at these campgrounds because we only had a short walk to the Disneyland Hotel and from there a quick tram ride or Monorail journey into the Park.

Vacationland had a large field where people(mostly teens and pre-teens) could actually pitch tents...it was kinda cool being a kid and having your own campground away from the adults in their rvs. Lots of people from other countries would stay there too; it was so cool to talk to them while playing, swimming, or just walking around.

The KOA had really nice bath and shower facilities which included a unisex family shower....of which I was unaware of until one morning, while shaving I looked down the counter to see my cousin(a girl!) at the sink brushing her teeth....I ran out of there so fast I tripped Only to find out that it was a "family" bath The Asteroids machine at the KOA laundry was a favorite way to pass the time between park visits while the adults were napping.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Yeah, I was one of those tent people! LOL Pitched camp a few times with a buddy in the years right after high school. Ah youth! No air mattresses, either! Oh boy.

But Vacationland was a nice place. Very clean. And yes I remember a whole busload of tourists from Europe one time. And yes, the haunting whistle of the Mark Twain echoing across the dewey grassy field was wonderful.

Great memories -- although there's no way I could handle the regimen back then: Day One = drive down from Bay Area, set up camp and perhaps peruse the Hotel and take in the Fantasy Waters show before hittin' the hay (dirt, actually -- and not very soft, either!); Day Two = rise and shine at crack of dawn (or earlier), hit the showers and walk across the street to make Rope Drop and kick start our day with a huge fritter from that little walk-up pastry window place in New Orleans Square. Full throttle until park closing (usually 1 am)! Crash back in the tent, get maybe 4 hours of sleep, then Day Three = repeat Day Two! All fueled on a combination of latent adolescent zeal, adrenaline, sugar and pure Disney magic!

As my friend and I "aged" towards our venerable mid-twenties (!), we abandoned the camping and splurged on a $40-something per night motel called "The Adventurer Inn" on Ball Rd, just east of West St.

I also stayed at Vacationland a few times with my family, but in RVs. That was fun, too!

Anyway, those were the days....thanks for the fellowship of reminiscence.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    It was separated from the Disneyland Hotel and the tennis courts by a strawberry field (not to be confused with the strawberry field on Harbor).
    Thank you! You just won me a bet that has been outstanding for some time. I knew there used to be strawberry fields over there.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Banned User

When did they bulldoze it down?

• A Pirate's life for me!

The groundbreaking for the Parking Garage.

Remember it well.

Now when we stay in our motorhome, we stay in OrangeLand RV Park, right around the corner.

You get to pick and keep all of the oranges that you want. Mmmm good!

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    When did they bulldoze it down?

BTW...it's my understanding that to collectors of those Disney pressed pennies...the Disney's Vacationland ones are highly collectible. Seems most people never realized there was a official Disney pressing machine over there, and therefore not a whole lot of them got made and few are in circulation in the collectible market.