Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pin Trading

• It's all nonsense

Pin Trading

Anyone ever buy cheap (still official Disney pins mind you, just not $7-10 brand new ones) pins off of Ebay and then trade CMs for a pin you like to save a few bucks?

Of course this method will not work if you're looking for a specific pin, but it sounds fun.

• Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Pin Trading

I don't pin collect (I don't own any, except for the couple that come with the YOMD lanyard), but...as for your plan...
    "I see the excellence of this device..."

We purchased 45 pins from a local ebayer for $1.75 each prior to our trip to DL last month. This worked out great and saved us a ton of money vs. our WDW trip last year.

Last week I stopped by the Disney Outlet in Burlington, WA and was able to pickup another batch of 40 pins for our next trip. They had a few different pins in the $1.29 to $2.65 range that are perfect for trading. The store is open until April 15th so I might make one more trip back (It is an hour and a half drive for me so I can't just hop up there on a whim).

Purchasing pins beforehand is the only way to go. One of the best investments you can make to save money on your trip.

Skawt

Off topic: Thay have one of the best books I have ever picked up, Disneyland Then, Now, and Forever for just $3.99. Also they change their prices alot, the lowest priced pin $1.29 was $3.19 a week later but there were still many (Hundreds) of pins in the $2-$4 range.

•   
    • Senior Minion

If you live near Los Angeles you can always check out the Frank & Sons Collectibles show. They have lots of pins for $2-$3 each so you can stock up right there, plus they also carry some of the more hard to find pins ... which are a bit more expensive ... but if you're a collector this is the place to check out (besides Disneyland).

I went last weekend to see what I could add to my collection and I picked up the following: It's A Small World 2006 Stitch pin ($10), Sleeping Beauty Castle Crown pin($10), and a Cast Member Cheshire Cat Mad About Pins pin($20). Not a bad deal, and they had a good number of CM lanyard pin sets as well.

Do they have a "I don't understand pin collecting" pin? Is Cruella on it?

• It's all nonsense

I found a few Ebay auctions that are a grab bag style deal for $2.39/pin with a flat shipping rate for 1-10, 11-20, etc pins. So I got a few and will se how it turns out.

This all started when we went to DLR in Feb and my cousin's kid traded a CM for a 50th Mickey pin that my wife paid $8 for during the 50th.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Do they have a "I don't understand pin collecting" pin? Is Cruella on it?
    I used to be that way ... then I got introduced to it by a friend ... now I can't stop myself!

• I have returned !!

in the *off* season.. we sorta use EbAy to pin trade a whole new way buy and sell..... since we cannot be there all the time and I am addicted to the pin life.. we purchase stuff online a lot. then again i sometimes am a pin hoarder... i leave the trading to the kids and wont trade the good ones off my own lanyard

Does anyone else have the urge to use a vest instead? my darn lanyard is heavy.

Mickey's cool but Johnny Depp Rocks !

Got Tiger? I do !!

LAST DLR Trip ? POTC: AWE PREMIERE !! 5-17~5-24
    next trip?? Dec 2007

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by idzy View Post
    in the *off* season.. we sorta use EbAy to pin trade a whole new way buy and sell..... since we cannot be there all the time and I am addicted to the pin life.. we purchase stuff online a lot. then again i sometimes am a pin hoarder... i leave the trading to the kids and wont trade the good ones off my own lanyard

Does anyone else have the urge to use a vest instead? my darn lanyard is heavy.
    Two weeks ago I went on a weekday, and there was a guy pin trading with a vest ... and EVERY INCH of it was covered with pins. He would trade ANY character pin with one on his vest ... I ended up traded pins throughout the day to get a character one, but the pins I got in trades were so good that I didn't feel like trading any.

On that very same day as well I came upon a CM who had all four of the silhouette pins on her lanyard! Too bad you can only trade two per lanyard ... so I got Mickey and Minnie.

• I love this place!

My wife worked at the Disney Store back in the days of the "100 years of dreams" pin series and a few others as well. She was able to purchase a bunch of pins cheap when they closed them out. I've been using them as trade-bait the last few years, and am now down to my last 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    I used to be that way ... then I got introduced to it by a friend ... now I can't stop myself!
    **resists the TikiLiz influence by holding wallet tightly closed with both hands**

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    **resists the TikiLiz influence by holding wallet tightly closed with both hands**
    I don't blame you ... as it is now I look online at the pins that are coming out every month that I want and then budget for them.

Feb $24.85 ... March $29.90 ... April ... $93.65! And that doesn't take into account the VMK Pirate Pins I buy at the park. Maybe I should let you hold my wallet ... what do you think?

**generously offers to hold all of Liz's vast fortune**
    **awaits wire transfer**

• Progressive Disneylander

When I last went to Disney World, they gave me a free pin of the Magical Express bus as a part of my resort package. The Magical Express?? Who really wants/needs that on a pin?!? As soon as I got that one, it was immediately on the trading block.

I checked out a lot of CM lanyards, but they really have a lot of other guests' junk hanging around their necks for the most part. It was no surprise to see those silly buses on most CM's lanyards.

I finally found a Mickey pin that I was OK with after days of looking, but after that experience, I'm not overly thrilled with going through that process again. I mean, it was kinda fun, but also a lot of work!

• For You!

We don't buy any pins in the park - we get pins off ebay or from different websites. Then we just trade and have fun. But, I usually spend about $50.00 a trip on traders.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast