Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Yeah...I'm cool

The Former Tahitian Terrace

Now I know many people here are calling for the return of the Tahitian Terrace restaurant. I loved that place, the atmosphere, In my opinion, was better that the Blue Bayou.

But, besides bringing the Terrace back, what other uses could be done with this space? I for one, in keeping with the dinner theme, would love to see an Indian themed restaurant, maybe even themed to Indiana Jones (can already hear the groans!!!)

Open up the back wall and expose it to the Jungle Cruise ala POTC, the Skippers could even incorporate it into their schtick.

What are your ideas?

• Yeah...I'm cool

Re: The Former Tahitian Terrace

Sorry, wrong Forum, is there a wa to move?

• Can see my car from here

I would like to see a restaurant there again too. Great location on the water and all. You mentioned Jungle Cruise, and one of my favorite memories of that restaurant—coming around the corner at the end of the cruise at night and seeing those Tahitian Fire Dancers performing. I seem to remember someone mentioning that the kitchen that used to serve the Tahitian is in shambles though. I guess we would only get half-baked potatoes

Let's hope that a cool new restaurant are among the plans for that area!
    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mikerscope View Post
    I would like to see a restaurant there again too. Great location on the water and all. You mentioned Jungle Cruise, and one of my favorite memories of that restaurant—coming around the corner at the end of the cruise at night and seeing those Tahitian Fire Dancers performing. I seem to remember someone mentioning that the kitchen that used to serve the Tahitian is in shambles though. I guess we would only get half-baked potatoes

Wouldn't they have to tear down the sad Aladdin's Oasis?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Wouldn't they have to tear down the sad Aladdin's Oasis?
    Yes...though most people on this board wouldn't be sad to see it go.

If you have a full-fledged Aladdin musical playing over in DCA, I don't see the point of also having a small, somewhat cheap children's theatre show in Adventureland when the land desperately needs a restaraunt.

I don't know if I ever had the pleasure of going to Tahitian Terrace, but I do remember when the Aladdin show and restaraunt was going at the same time. I remember a chocolate lamp. That was awesome.

If and when a restaraunt is put back in that spot, I'd like to see a large selection of different Eastern foods. Not only Hawaiian, but Mongolian, sushi, etc.

I guess we shouldn't expect anything until Bengal BBQ goes away for an expansion of Riverbelle Terrace.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

That would be me. BTW the last time I was there, less than a month ago, I snuck through the back door of the Pavillion Complex (Plaza Pavillion and the old TT/Aladdin shared a central kitchen space) and they'd cleaned things up quite a bit from December...but still no evidence that they'd be ready to re-open one or the other anytime soon).

I would be delighted to see the Terrace, perhaps in some new Polynesian form (maybe Lilo and Stitch even) as a table service restaurant.

But it's a bit too early to start making "ressies" if they'll ever be made at all.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Great location on the water and all. You mentioned Jungle Cruise, and one of my favorite memories of that restaurant—coming around the corner at the end of the cruise at night and seeing those Tahitian Fire Dancers performing.
    That was a great view to see! And it was also great to hear the beat of the drums and music from the show as your 'rounded the bend back to the docks of the Jungle Cruise attraction.

Even before the Tahitian Terrace opened in 1962, that "side" of the Plaza Pavilion facing Adventureland was always Polynesian themed and had tables and served food, and even had lite tropical entertainment.

Here's a couple of shots from 1955. The first one is a view from one of the Jungle Cruise boats just past Trader Sam, looking up at a simple trio of Polynesian performers (slack-key, guitar, singer) entertaining dining guests:

It would be 7 years from when that photo was taken before the full blown Tahitian Terrace restaurant and floor show would appear at that same location.

The next shot is just a wider view of the entire area:

• Can see my car from here

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    If and when a restaraunt is put back in that spot, I'd like to see a large selection of different Eastern foods. Not only Hawaiian, but Mongolian, sushi, etc.
    Yes I agree! To take your thought even farther, maybe it could be some sort of "Foods of the World" place—an adventure in cuisine. Vietnamese, German, Polynesian, Thai, Sushi, Chinese, Persian, Spanish, etc. etc. Represent foods from all over the world. Also, the shows could change throughout the day as well. Maybe one performance is a Japanese Tea Ceremony, the next maybe Polynesian Fire Dancers, the next maybe those Turkish twirling guys, etc.
    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

I think a Lion King theme would work well there too. The Bengal BBQ menu would fit right in.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post

Just how pretty is this!? I'd love to visit this place.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Yes I agree! To take your thought even farther, maybe it could be some sort of "Foods of the World" place—an adventure in cuisine. Vietnamese, German, Polynesian, Thai, Sushi, Chinese, Persian, Spanish, etc. etc. Represent foods from all over the world. Also, the shows could change throughout the day as well. Maybe one performance is a Japanese Tea Ceremony, the next maybe Polynesian Fire Dancers, the next maybe those Turkish twirling guys, etc.
    Totally

Opus...I just friggen love all of your posts on this board.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post

I think I have told the story that when I worked in the Pavillion complex, we would take our breaks in unused JC boats sitting in a small canal that ran behind Main Street a bit.

When I worked as a dishwasher at the Terrace, we hated the final Aloha of the show because that meant break time was over for us as every party was about to leave their tables for the next group to come in.

We got to know all the dancers very well, and when I was a cook we always saved the large tins that the salad oil and such came in...they'd hollow out the insides and they made great drums!

Great memories and thanks for the pictures, as always, Opus1guy.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Down Pluto!

Anything but that insipid storytelling. That's a segment of my life I'll never get back...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Wow! Look at the lack of trees!
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Radiobarry - I actually know and still see some of the ex-tahitian food CMs, funny!
    I was always afraid of falling into the water when 'rock hopping' from backstage into the Jungle exit dock, and the Jungle skippers saying like 'Ahhh lookit there the hardly seen black footed rock hopping CM".
    That's also where they held my/our five year luncheon for being a CM.
    Great pics by the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast