Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Rocket Rods Queue Question

The 98 Rocket Rods attraction's loading platform was the old PM rotating loader platform up above Tomorrowland. But the queue actually started from the door to what is now BLAB, wound around that building, down "under ground", across the plaza and up into the guts of the loading platform via a staircase. (Am I recalling correctly so far?)

Questions:
    * Where about was the tunnel in relation to the surface today?
    * What is the tunnel portion of the queue being used for now?
    * Did the tunnel exist in any form before the 98 makeover? Or was it built for RRs?
    * Are there any rumours of making use of the platform building in the future? (Other than the occasionally musical whatsit that's up there currently)
    * Do these pants make my butt look big?

Please post any pictures that may illustrate things...
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

Re: Rocket Rods Queue Question

Yes you were recalling the queue correctly. You would enter in through the old Circle-Vision door then go into the room with all the old Tomorrowland stuff on display (pre-show room for Circle-Vision) then into the main circle queue room (actual Circle-Vision room) then out the old exit doors down the added stairs to the tunnel of doom! While in the tunnel you would SEE a great map of how they wanted to "expand" the RR to go to the Pond and other areas of the OC, HEAR one of the songs from The Happiest Millionaire done kinda as a theme for the attraction, and SMELL some of the worst BO and other things ever. Then head up to the load platform enjoy you ride on the RR's (till it broke down on you) then exit via stairs down to the tunnel again then up to the store which is now Little Green Men Store Command.

Questions:
    * Where about was the tunnel in relation to the surface today?
    Where the pathway angles up toward the extra seating.

* What is the tunnel portion of the queue being used for now?
    If anything storage, but there was not a lot of space down there. It would have to have some other entrance due to the staircase that lead up toward the back area of Little Green Men Store Command now.

* Did the tunnel exist in any form before the 98 makeover? Or was it built for RRs?
    It was built for the RR's. It worked well....as long as the air was working down there.

* Are there any rumours of making use of the platform building in the future? (Other than the occasionally musical whatsit that's up there currently)
    Always rumors of them trying to get the Rocket Jets back up there....doubt it will ever happen

* Do these pants make my butt look big?
    Not at ALL!!!!

J
    Last edited by Jerm; 03-17-2007 at 07:41 AM.
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• Never Look Back

I worked in Tomorrowland Stores, and all they used the Rocket Rods queue for was storage, or for events. A lot of it isn't there anymore, but a good portion is still in tact.

The door to the queue is in Buzz Lightyear's Store Command, in the corner. (where you used to come in after the ride) Sometimes we used the queue for big pin releases. They would enter through a door on the back side of the observatron tower, and then enter in the store through that door. Like I said it was rare that we used it, but when I was working there I could count three times it was used.

It was freezing down there too, the air conditioning was always on in there...

Blog Entries

Other than plain old noseyness, one of the reasons I ask is; If TDA ever make something of the PM track, where will they put a queue? There's no way the old PM queue system would work with today's park attendance numbers. If BLAB has totally blocked off the RR's queue tunnel system.. then .... what now?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Other than plain old noseyness, one of the reasons I ask is; If TDA ever make something of the PM track, where will they put a queue? There's no way the old PM queue system would work with today's park attendance numbers. If BLAB has totally blocked off the RR's queue tunnel system.. then .... what now?
    If they ever were to put in the peoplemover as it was they would pull out the planters around it and make a small but good queue then rip a hole in the tower and you would walk up like you used to for RR. Till that first few week went past and all the AP's and HUGE Disney geeks that just had to ride it do. Then it would be back to the way it used to be where no one would ever go on it and it would not have any wait at all.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• Never Look Back

Who knows...?

I am sure they are thinking of something now. They need to let the Nemo Subs high die down a bit, before they open anything else in Tomorrowland. Blocking off any part of TL during this time due to construction, wouldn't be the smartest plan...IMHO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    If they ever were to put in the peoplemover as it was they would pull out the planters around it and make a small but good queue ...Till that first few week went past and all the AP's and HUGE Disney geeks that just had to ride it do. Then it would be back to the way it used to be where no one would ever go on it and it would not have any wait at all.
    LOLS! Mean, but from what I remember of pre 1995, accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Maseca View Post
    They need to let the Nemo Subs high die down a bit, before they open anything else in Tomorrowland. Blocking off any part of TL during this time due to construction, wouldn't be the smartest plan...IMHO.
    Is true. Maybe Nemo's queue will start in the Hub something like Indy's did for a while when it first opened.

LOLS! Mean, but from what I remember of pre 1995, accurate.
    I don't mean to be mean, I loved the Peoplemover. But that was how I would gage if the park was busy or not, if the PM had a wait. I would love to see it come back for no other reason then it gave you a great tour of Tomorrowland and was a great peacefull 14 minutes. We all have a bit of a different take on attractions of the past because we are Disney nerds. We would love to see Country Bears, ATIS, PM, and some of the other older gone attractions come back, but not for any other reason then we miss them. The normal park guest might have nothing more then a fleating memory of some singing bears that they used to have to walk forever to get to or a ride with a HUGE eye looking at you. Yes more people remember the Peoplemover and the Subs cause they had what was left of them taunting them every visit. I am glad the Subs are coming back, but even more glad they are coming back improved...I don't know about you but the old subs were a little cheesy!!!!

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Blog Entries

I don't know about you but the old subs were a little cheesy!!!!
    Shhh! Don't let anyone hear you say that. They were total cheese. But I loved them anyway. It's just a shame that by the time I was riding the subs they had let the maintenance slip to a degree that was very noticeable on-ride. But YAY! They're coming back, with an all new show. So all's well in the (Disney) World.

I'm not sure if anyone's noticed, but the old Astro/Rocket-Jets' staircase is also missing...

I'm not sure if anyone's noticed, but the old Astro/Rocket-Jets' staircase is also missing...
    It didn't have a staircase, it had a elevator that used to be to the right of the platform on the Space Mtn. side.

When they "re-did" Tomorrowland in 96-98 they lost a lot of things that would be needed if they ever wanted to bring any thing back. But most of the things can be redone or adjusted to work in todays world.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Blog Entries

It didn't have a staircase, it had a elevator that used to be to the right of the platform on the Space Mtn. side.
    That's the thing I meant Long time ago... hazy memory...

That's the thing I meant Long time ago... hazy memory...
    No problem, come on give me more things to waist time at work doing
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Actually, there was a small switchback staircase that went from the peoplemover platform to the rocket jets platform. I used it once when the elevators stopped working while I was on the rocket platform. The swithcback comes out to the Goodyear sign. If you study the posted picture a little, you can see the staircase and the break in the rocket jets platform (look between the peoplemover cars). However, the normal way to get up there was via the elevators.

Triton
    Last edited by Triton; 03-17-2007 at 09:16 AM.

• The Fantasyland guy

I seem to remember my parents saying that there was a tunnel in tomorrowland before 98. (my dad was in security.)

He called the tunnel "the security tunnel." said it was near the location of the RR tunnel. I wonder if this was the same tunnel that they used, but they just converted it to queue for RR.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I seem to remember my parents saying that there was a tunnel in tomorrowland before 98. (my dad was in security.)

He called the tunnel "the security tunnel." said it was near the location of the RR tunnel. I wonder if this was the same tunnel that they used, but they just converted it to queue for RR.
    That tunnel has been one of those questions forever. They have a tunnel from backstage to the stage at TT and the trash tunnel. But this tunnel had a lot of work on it before RR was opened in 98
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast