Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Quick fix for Motor Boat puddle

I really think the back part of the MBC is going to be the queue for the subs. I have ridden on the monorail various times last week and they are clearly putting in a meandering trail that goes from this area, under the Autopia bridges and looks like it may utilize some of the lagoon cliffs at some point...

Seeing what they are doing, and if this is really a part of the queue, I am really looking forward to it! (the ride and the queue)

• ...TWO BITS!

I read Disney was relocating the ship to another part of Fantasyland in the redo (perhaps it was Motorboat area...). Anyways, the structure wasn't sound enough so they had to demo it.

There was an argument AGAINST the ship and skull rock in Motorboat because there's currently the same theme in the DL hotel pool...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I like these ideas, I really do...but what I really want is more motion. I still remember my very first visit to Disneyland....we arrived via Monorail and entering the West Side of the Park with all the movement....Motor Boats, Peoplmovers, Rocket Jets, Skyway buckets, Bobsleds, Steam Trains, and motor cars......even one of the buildings was moving.

I want that back; and as much as I would take a nice static display over a swamp, I'd rather they put back a motor boat attraction in some form or another.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

From the graveyard at Walt Disney World

• Minion

Having gone over that area the other day in the Monorail too, if they are using the back Motor Boat waterways as a queue or escape path, it doesn't seem to be affecting the forward lagoon part. If a queue snakes by there, all the better to put in a Nautilus to look at!

It's such a shame to waste these anyway - - and it's the perfect locale...

Last edited by merlinjones; 03-19-2007 at 12:32 PM.

• ...TWO BITS!

This just occured to me in the Northeast section of DL.

Air= Monorail
    Land= Autopia
    Underwater= Submarines
    On water= Motorboat cruise

So I guess with a boat ride, it keeps a sort of consistency and motion in this area...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

>>Air= Monorail
    Land= Autopia
    Underwater= Submarines
    On water= Motorboat cruise<<

Air = Skyway
    Over Land/Water = Monorail
    On Land = Autopia
    On water = Motor Boats
    Underwater = Submarines

Walt was so cool!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

If they decide to put the Nautilus there the area around it would have to be redesigned as well to look more like the sub lagoon. That would be awesome because they could use that area as an extended queue.

• Minion

>>If they decide to put the Nautilus there the area around it would have to be redesigned as well to look more like the sub lagoon. That would be awesome because they could use that area as an extended queue.<<

Yeah - some new rockwork and ironwork and tarps would complete the picture. And the music, of course.

The benches already on the motor boat pier have frilly roccoco grill work - - probably be fine for Captain Nemo just repainted.

• Minion

Nautilus would also provide a nice scene for the Monorail, which goes right over that area. The empty swamp looks bad from the train now.

• Infinitized!

The Nautilus is good, but I'd prefer more pirates!

...just kidding.

No more pirates the sub will be fine.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The fate of the Florida subs.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20kride.com
    For a while after the shutdown the subs were hanging around in the lagoon, but they were eventually removed and sent to the back lot scrap yard. Disney auctioned off numerous portholes from the subs on ebay and sold them in the disney store for $125 each. Years later 8 of the subs were auctioned off to a scrap dealer who tore off every other imaginably desirable part and sold many of them on ebay. It is reported that these 8 subs have since been literally ground up and buried in a landfill, apparently so decayed and picked clean that they were just dangerous fiberglass hulls. Apparently the remains had to be buried in sealed containers because the paint contained lead, and Disney even tried to recall some of the parts the scrap dealer had bought. However, an owner of some parts did a lead test on the paint and found none. It could just be that Disney wanted the parts back because they hadn't realized how much they'd be worth to people. But still, just to be safe, if you got a 20K part on ebay, don't lick it!

Not quite all the subs met this sad fate though. For a time one sub that was cut in half length-wise was moved into a pool to decorate the queue area of the Disney MGM Studios Special Effects Tour, but it has since been removed. It was last seen wrapped up on a trailer to be moved somewhere. Its debated whether that sub was actually one from the ride though. One of the subs is reported to have been buried on Disney propery as part of a ritual they observe when a ride is retired. There was also a fun rumor that one of the subs was donated to the Smithsonian Museum, but this has been confirmed as false.

More exciting is that two (possibly three?) of the subs were sent down to Disney's Caribbean resort island, Castaway Cay, which is where all Disney cruises end up. One of them was completely submerged and you could scuba dive near it! The latest reports are that the Caribbean subs have gone MIA though, and are presumed to have been removed by Disney, destroyed by a hurricane, or simply crumbled away.

• Minion

Well that's depressing.

I wonder if any survived Castway Cay - - or they could dig up that last one at WDW.

What a stupid way to treat priceless assets. We could have had a nice decoration at Disneyland for years now.

• Infinitized!

John Stamos wasn't lucky enough to get one of the subs?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast