Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1

    • Hiding from the Sheeple
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    591

    50th Merchandise Event is another "Black Sunday"

    I was very excited about the upcoming 50th Merchandise Special Event prior to signing up. As I have been talking about Disneyland’s 50th for some time, I wanted to spend this special day with my wife enjoying wonderful activities and reminiscing about what it must have been like on opening day. Sadly, it seems this event is turning out to be another “Black Sunday” and I would like to solicit the thoughts of others who are signed up for this event.

    Problems so far:

    1) It has been widely reported that there were numerous signup problems for the registrants of this event when it was placed on sale on April 22, 2005.

    2) The addition of 28 people to the Walt’s Dream package and the addition of 47 people to the Lillian’s Inspiration package when they were sold as “strictly limited”. These guests were added (according to WDES) because of their problems with registration on 4/22/05.

    3) The outright lie by Walt Disney Event Services to participants at all levels saying “few, if any (people) were added to each package“. A 56 % increase to Walt’s Dream package and 34 % to the Lillian’s Inspiration package does not seem like “few, if any“.

    4) For those registered at the Walt’s Dream level, the undisclosed cancellation of their participation in the Disney Legends Induction Ceremony. This event is clearly noted on guests event registration and was cancelled without notice or substitution.

    5) The cancellation of the Fess Parker Wine Experience. WDES admits they did not properly anticipate demand for this experience and that they gave guests too many offering to choose from, yet the paying customer is the one who has to suffer due to poor planning on behalf of Disney.

    6) The addition of the Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony (a somewhat similar experience to the Disney Legends Experience) that cost an additional $105.00 per person. In my opinion, this should have been offered gratis to those who had their Fess Parker package cancelled or those who had the Disney Legends Ceremony pulled from their package.

    7) When signing up for the Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony, registrants were required to enter a unique confirmation number for each participant (you must have already registered of the overall event). Those who are attending the 50th event with others on the same reservation had no way to register their friends or family. Only after calling WDES were registrants given unique numbers for each person with an apology that this was “a major oversight” on behalf of WDES.

    8) Confusing and ambiguous terms regarding the Random Selection Process. The website says a catalog will be mailed to all while an email to event registrants says it will be handled strictly “online”.

    9) After some have submitted RSP’s, an update on the website indicates a vast reduction in quantity from previously advertised numbers for available merchandise. The edition size will remain the same, but participants in the event will be offered a reduced number of these items.

    In the end, regardless of why you participate in these paid events (merchandise, experience or both) WDES is not delivering on what was advertised or sold to us. This discussion is my attempt to send WDES a message that there is much needed change for future events. Of all of the events that I expected to run smoothly, it was this one. Instead of adopting a take it or leave it attitude, I believe that positive change will come when we voice our opinions. What are your thoughts?

  2. #2

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933
    I am concerned about a couple of things...
    (1) When are we going to be contacted with info about the seminar/workshops that are to be part of this event?
    (2) The merchandise aspect of the event. Disney has produced a lot of merchandise for the 50th anniversary, and I understand that it is not all being produced for the "Magical Memories" event. Some of the 50th merchandise is being released early with this event. However, my disappointment lies in the fact that anybody who has signed up for this event has PAID for access to this merchandise. I am concerned about the reduction in merchandise quantities that are being offered to individuals that have signed up for the event. With up to 810 attendees, some merchandise will not last long.
    I know that part of the reason for limiting access is because some people sell merchandise from these events on ebay. But with open editions of merchandise, why can't every event attendee get at least one of an item that is available? :confused:
    The Radko ornaments are another example of confusion. There have been 1955 Christmas ornaments made of the 50th Anniversary Sleeping Beauty Castle , Frontierland, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Adventureland and Main Street, yet they are limiting the Sleeping Beauty Castle ornament to 300, while limiting the other ornaments to 500. :confused: Most people will probably get a complete set, but some people won't. Why? There are 1955 editions of each ornament!

    It bothers me because I know that they have enough of this stuff, they have people who have paid for the opportunity to buy it, and they won't sell it to us.

    Here are some examples of merchandise that WDES has produced for the 50th anniversary in limited quantities and the further reduction of those quantities that will be available to attendees of the " Magical Memories" event.

    (1) SWAROVSKI "Sleeping Beauty Castle Broach"
    Retail: $195
    Edition Size: 300
    Quantity available via RSP: 100

    (2) DISNEYLAND® 50TH GOLDEN ICON CHARM BRACELET
    Retail: $98
    Edition Size: 500
    Quantity available via RSP: 200

    (3) HALCYON DAYS "Sleeping Beauty Jeweled Castle Enamel Box"
    Retail: $175
    Edition Size: 750
    Quantity available via RSP: 25

    (4) HALCYON DAYS "Sleeping Beauty Jeweled Castle Enamel Clock"
    Retail: $345
    Open Edition
    Quantity available via RSP: 15

    (5)DEPARTMENT 56 "Sleeping Beauty Castle Box"
    Retail: $45
    Open Edition
    Quantity available via RSP: 150

    (6)SLEEPING BEAUTY JEWELED CASTLE CROWNS by Makrita(PORCELAIN BOXES - SET OF 5)
    Retail: $325
    Edition Size: 500
    Quantity available via RSP: 75

    (7)LENOX Sleeping Beauty Castle "50th Anniversary Edition"
    Retail: $195
    Edition Size: 1,955
    Quantity available via RSP: 175

    (8)WALT DISNEY CLASSICS COLLECTION "Donald, Daisy, and Nephews:Family Vacation"
    Retail: $299
    Edition Size: 1,955
    Quantity available via RSP: 75

    (9) CHRISTOPHER RADKO ORNAMENTS Radko Sleeping Beauty Castle Ornament
    Retail: $44
    Edition Size: 1955
    Quantity available via RSP: 300

    (10)Radko Frontierland Ornament
    Retail: $44
    Edition Size: 1955
    Quantity available via RSP: 500

    (11)Radko Adventureland Ornament
    Retail: $44
    Edition Size: 1955
    Quantity available via RSP: 500

    (12)Radko Fantasyland Ornament
    Retail: $44
    Edition Size: 1955
    Quantity available via RSP: 500

    (13)Radko Tomorrowland Ornament
    Retail: $44
    Edition Size: 1955
    Quantity available via RSP: 500

    (14)Radko Main Street, U.S.A. Ornament
    Retail: $44
    Edition Size: 1955
    Quantity available via RSP: 500

    (15)ALICE DAVIS THAILAND "it's a small world" Doll Sketch Giclee
    Retail: $180
    Open Edition
    Quantity available via RSP: 300

    (16)KIM IRVINE "ENCHANTED TIKI ROOM" Tiki's Giclee
    Retail: $195
    Open Edition
    Quantity available via RSP: 300

    (17)Walt Disney's Animated Animations Happiest Homecoming on Earth Sericel
    Retail: $395
    Actual Edition Size: 500
    Quantity available via RSP: 200
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  3. #3

    • Hiding from the Sheeple
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    I am concerned about a couple of things...
    (1) When are we going to be contacted with info about the seminar/workshops that are to be part of this event?
    Circarama brings up a valid point and one that I missed in my earlier post. To add to my list of concerns, here is my 10th gripe or problem with this event:

    10) The “Illusions, Illustrations & Inspirations” seminars/workshops were to be selected (and in some cases materials that need to be paid for) via the Random Selection Process. The RSP has already started, but there is no information regarding these items or any indication that there will be an isolated RSP just for the seminars/workshops.

    In addition, why can't all event attendees buy an OPEN EDITION T-shirt? If it is not a limited edition, why limit the number that event participants can buy? This makes no sense. With 811 possible registrants, WDES has limited the event sale of this shirt to 288.

  4. #4

    • done
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,331
    I do think having the availability information is important in filling out RSPs. Knowing the edition size is 500, for example, is different than knowing that only 50, for example, are going to be available for RSP. And edition size does determine the order one would probably put an item down on the RSP.

    I think we've known for some time now that not all the event merchandise would be exclusive, even without the "anything left over will be sold in the park" method they've been doing for a while now, so it can't really be that much of a surprise to anyone. The registration page did say something about "first opportunity" to purchase items, so from the various edition and availability numbers, it appears that some are designed to be exclusive to the event (presuming they sell out) and some are designed just to have an earlier opportunity to purchase them without having to wait in line at a store. It's pretty much as advertised.

    Apparently, some people go to these kinds of events just for the merchandise, but I have to say that I've never understood that sort of thing. I can't imagine going to an event that I wasn't all that interested in only for the opportunity to buy something. For me, it's the experience that I want. For all the events that we've been to (except the 75 Mickeys auction, but that's different), I'd still have gone even if there had been no merchandise available. I've seen some event pieces that I've really liked, but it was at a convention or something that I wasn't interested in. One time, there were some left over, so we were able to purchase one after the fact. In most cases, I only ever see a picture and never see the piece itself because it sells out.

    The only real disappointment I have with the merchandise is that it appears none of the event logo merchandise is dated, even the t-shirts. The logo is specific to the event, but having the date is a fairly important extra for me and many others. I thought Disney understood that because they had previously been putting dates on things like t-shirts and sweatshirts, even in unobtrusive places, but they seem to be moving away from that. It's a shame. With a date imprinted on a t-shirt, I'd definitely buy it, even though I so don't need another t-shirt. Without the date and with just the logo, I can't really think of a reason to buy it.

  5. #5

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15
    All I can say to this thread is why didn't you people get the refund they offered you????? Maybe I missed it but it doesn't seem to me like you are happy about one thing that is going on with this special event. I don't get why you are so upset about so many things!! Who cares how many they are going to let the RSP purchase? At least we get a chance to purchase some of the things. Do you really believe that you should get one of everything and that the people who aren't going to this event shouldn't have the chance to purchase any of these things? I don't agree with that at all.

  6. #6

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933
    Quote Originally Posted by KTHoover
    All I can say to this thread is why didn't you people get the refund they offered you????? Maybe I missed it but it doesn't seem to me like you are happy about one thing that is going on with this special event. I don't get why you are so upset about so many things!! Who cares how many they are going to let the RSP purchase? At least we get a chance to purchase some of the things. Do you really believe that you should get one of everything and that the people who aren't going to this event shouldn't have the chance to purchase any of these things? I don't agree with that at all.
    So, we should be happy that although we paid for access to this stuff, it's okay if we don't get it? :confused:
    What is the justification for selling 500 Disneyland "land" ornaments, but only 300 of the 50th Sleeping Beauty Castle ornaments(which, incidently, is the only ornament that makes reference to the 50th)? Wouldn't you want a complete set.
    I want this event to be fun. However, I'm not pleased with the "planning on the fly" that is happening with it. I don't understand why others who are registered for this event aren't concerned that even more things are going to change.
    And yes, I DO believe that if you are registered for the event that you should have a chance to buy it before it is made available to the general public...It's what we paid for!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  7. #7

    • done
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,331
    KTHoover - I would appreciate if you didn't lump everyone into the same group. I am very much looking forward to this event. If I had been unhappy with the changes in any way, I would have accepted the refund that was offered.

  8. #8

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    IThe only real disappointment I have with the merchandise is that it appears none of the event logo merchandise is dated, even the t-shirts. The logo is specific to the event, but having the date is a fairly important extra for me and many others.
    I agree, I would also like to see more of the items specific to the event have tha anniversary date on them. I understand that Disney probably doesn't want to do that because if the item doesn't sell-out then they are left trying to sell it in the Park. But if the edition size is that small, they shouldn't have too hard of a time selling the leftovers. Besides, how much mark-up do you suppose they have on some of these items?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  9. #9

    • NEVER to Old To Fly...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    14,625
    Blog Entries
    6
    Call it "Limited" and people would buy Monkey Poop.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

    YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

  10. #10

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933
    Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan
    Call it "Limited" and people would buy Monkey Poop.
    Only if they date it.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  11. #11

    • Hiding from the Sheeple
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by KTHoover
    All I can say to this thread is why didn't you people get the refund they offered you????? Maybe I missed it but it doesn't seem to me like you are happy about one thing that is going on with this special event. I don't get why you are so upset about so many things!! Who cares how many they are going to let the RSP purchase? At least we get a chance to purchase some of the things. Do you really believe that you should get one of everything and that the people who aren't going to this event shouldn't have the chance to purchase any of these things? I don't agree with that at all.
    With respect to your argument, and without trying to sound rude, you don't get my argument. I continue to voice my opinion because I want to bring about change in the way these events are run. There are a number of you who disagree with my position and that is perfectly ok. Although I disagree with your position, you certainly have every right to go to this event and feel "lucky" for the chance to be there.

    You have an obvious love for Disney and it seems to me that they can do no wrong in your book. I think it is wonderful that you have a positive outlook and the numerous changes or problems are not of concern to you. While I love Disney, I consider myself an informed consumer and I am tired of corporate giants taking my money for granted. This being said, I can do one of two things, withhold my business or ask for change in the way things are run.

    Your argument suggests that if I am unhappy, I should not sign up for this event or I should have sought a refund. Several people have posted in previous threads that they have abandoned the special events because they are so poorly run. It is crystal clear that not attending (their way of seeking change) had little or no impact on how future events were run. Pointing out deficiencies in a public forum is another way to seek change and I this is how I am attempting to bring about this much needed change.

    Although your suggestion is to basically be "happy" and just accept what comes our way. What about those guests who had their Fess Parker Experience cancelled and incurred additional travel expenses because of Disney's failure to plan? Would you argue your "who cares" position to these people?

    Your argument goes on to suggest that this is a greed issue in that I am fighting to get each of the merchandise items they are offering. This is not the case as I am not interested in purchasing 95% of the merchandise offered. This issue is not about me, but the 800+ people attending. This issue is about the fact that we should all get what we purchased and not a falsely advertised or watered down event.

    Your philosophy of “At least we get a chance to purchase some of the things” in my opinion is incorrect. This is not an opportunity that was handed to you or a favor from a friend, this was an advertised offering that you PAID for. You paid for the chance to purchase these items. The name of this particular Disney division is Merchandise Event Services. I have no problem with any event where it is advertised one way and then executed as advertised. I continue to have a large problem with an event that continues to evolve to the detriment of those who paid to be in attendance. I am truly sorry that you do not get why we are upset. It is confusing to us why you don’t demand better treatment from those who you give your hard earned money to.

    I certainly hope that your event experience turns out to be a positive one. I hope mine is a positive experience as well, but I feel it is important to call WDES out when I feel they are wrong.
    Last edited by Disneynut; 06-08-2005 at 02:45 PM.

  12. #12

    • Hiding from the Sheeple
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    I think we've known for some time now that not all the event merchandise would be exclusive, even without the "anything left over will be sold in the park" method they've been doing for a while now, so it can't really be that much of a surprise to anyone.
    For once, we are not too far apart on our views. I have no issue with the numbers they are releasing, but the overall process seems to deviate from the past events where the full edition size was offered to event participants and then offered remaining items through a retail location. I would not expect Disney to suffer a loss on merchandise because those in attendance did not buy it all, but the withholding of some inventory is something I have not witnessed in prior events.

    I simply wish that they would have notified us of the change in policy prior to the RSP process being started.

  13. #13

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut
    With respect to your argument, and without trying to sound rude, you don't get my argument. I continue to voice my opinion because I want to bring about change in the way these events are run. There are a number of you who disagree with my position and that is perfectly ok. Although I disagree with your position, you certainly have every right to go to this event and feel "lucky" for the chance to be there.

    You have an obvious love for Disney and it seems to me that they can do no wrong in your book. I think it is wonderful that you have a positive outlook and the numerous changes or problems are not of concern to you. While I love Disney, I consider myself an informed consumer and I am tired of corporate giants taking my money for granted. This being said, I can do one of two things, withhold my business or ask for change in the way things are run.

    Your argument suggests that if I am unhappy, I should not sign up for this event or I should have sought a refund. Several people have posted in previous threads that they have abandoned the special events because they are so poorly run. It is crystal clear that not attending (their way of seeking change) had little or no impact on how future events were run. Pointing out deficiencies in a public forum is another way to seek change and I this is how I am attempting to bring about this much needed change.

    Although your suggestion is to basically be "happy" and just accept what comes our way. What about those guests who had their Fess Parker Experience cancelled and incurred additional travel expenses because of Disney's failure to plan? Would you argue your "who cares" position to these people?

    Your argument goes on to suggest that this is a greed issue in that I am fighting to get each of the merchandise items they are offering. This is not the case as I am not interested in purchasing 95% of the merchandise offered. This issue is not about me, but the 800+ people attending. This issue is about the fact that we should all get what we purchased and not a falsely advertised or watered down event.

    Your philosophy of “At least we get a chance to purchase some of the things” in my opinion is incorrect. This is not an opportunity that was handed to you or a favor from a friend, this was an advertised offering that you PAID for. You paid for the chance to purchase these items. The name of this particular Disney division is Merchandise Event Services. I have no problem with any event where it is advertised one way and then executed as advertised. I continue to have a large problem with an event that continues to evolve to the detriment of those who paid to be in attendance. I am truly sorry that you do not get why we are upset. It is confusing to us why you don’t demand better treatment from those who you give your hard earned money to.

    I certainly hope that your event experience turns out to be a positive one. I hope mine is a positive experience as well, but I feel it is important to call WDES out when I feel they are wrong.
    Exactly!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


  14. #14

    • Colorado Bound?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    309
    [flame]
    You gotta understand that from the perspective of many of us, y'all look like you are putting a lot of effort into complaining to the wrong people about this event. If you are as dissatisfied as the voiciferous posts indicate then get a refund and shut up. If you are willing to subject yourself to the event then just go and shut up. If you want Disney to make changes to fit your expectations ask them to turn back time and fix the past and shut up. If you want to vent to people that have no control over WDES then by all means sound off.

    What I don't understand is why you feel a vested interest in trying to get us to adopt your cause. I don't care and if I did, my support wouldn't mean jack.
    [/flame]

  15. #15

    • Gumball Rally Godfather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Central Cali
    Posts
    4,933
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandasDad
    [flame]
    You gotta understand that from the perspective of many of us, y'all look like you are putting a lot of effort into complaining to the wrong people about this event. If you are as dissatisfied as the voiciferous posts indicate then get a refund and shut up. If you are willing to subject yourself to the event then just go and shut up. If you want Disney to make changes to fit your expectations ask them to turn back time and fix the past and shut up. If you want to vent to people that have no control over WDES then by all means sound off.

    What I don't understand is why you feel a vested interest in trying to get us to adopt your cause. I don't care and if I did, my support wouldn't mean jack.
    [/flame]
    Or, you could pass over this thread without saying a word. But, thanks for the thought!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037


Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. More merchandise added to "Magical Memories" event!!
    By Circarama in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 08:50 PM
  2. 50th Merchandise Event Changed AGAIN!
    By Disneynut in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 10:10 AM
  3. More RSP merchandise shown for "Magical Memories" event
    By Circarama in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 08:14 PM
  4. What are the plans for the 50th Merchandise Event
    By Disneynut in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 04:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •