Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Haunted Mansion or Phantom Manor?

You have to give Disney credit for trying something completely new with Phantom Manor. After going on WDW Haunted Mansion I thought to myself "I could have done that at home".

After watching every video I could find on You Tube, Phantom Manor intrigues me. In fact, the original tape with Vincent Price was, pardon the pun, Priceless.

Sometimes I prefer storylines that leave a little to the imagination like HM and POTC. For that I give my vote to nostalgia. Either way though, if any more Parks are created with another Mansion I'd love to see something totally unique like PM and less cookie cutters like WDW.

Chad

• oh bugger

I really have to agree that the Boot Hill section seems somewhat carnival ride like the rest of the manor is very well done.

Themeing: The exterior theming of both is well done, the mansions grounds are much more kept up while the manor relies on gravel and a more baren landscape. However the view from the front porch of the manor can't be beat. Overall I find the manor's exterior to be a nicer experience.

Story: Well, up until recently the mansion had no official story. However, when judging off of the online communities story for the mansion vs. the manor's I have to pick the mansion. Mainly because of the section on Boot Hill. I just don't enjoy that section of the ride and it takes away from the overall story and experience for me. I also am more familiar with the mansions story and enjoy its many layers and tellings.

Effects: I haven't seen the new attic in the mansion, so I'll judge this based on the finale's of each. The characters and effects are much more convincing in the mansion than the manor. It truly seemed like a cheap-o horror movie set.

Misc:[/quote]
    The music in both is great. I think the Manor is more omnious than the mansion. Overall I do like the mansion better. It's a classic and the finale of the manor overshadowed a lot of the positive points of the ride. I'm glad that it isn't a carbon copy of the mansion. Paris takes originals and just mixes them up a little to create something of their own. I almost say they have a better Pirates.... but don't tell anybody I said that.

ok, i've heard alot about the music...what do you think about redoing the HM's Score...or adding PM's Score to the HM to make it more cinematic?
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    After watching every video I could find on You Tube, Phantom Manor intrigues me. In fact, the original tape with Vincent Price was, pardon the pun, Priceless.
    Haha, I just did the same thing. I wanted to go on it before but now that I've seen it on youtube, I REALLY want to go to Disneyland Paris. It's now one of my life's goals.

Dang, I should really get in to advertising for the disney company then...
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    ok, i've heard alot about the music...what do you think about redoing the HM's Score...or adding PM's Score to the HM to make it more cinematic?
    Disney has somewhat...there is a musicbox tune that plays over at PM, and they added that to our queue for Haunted Mansion Holiday.

I'd be sad if they re-did the score for HM. I think it's fitting, the way it is. The Manor is far more dramatic, so the score needs that cinematic feel (and scene to scene, it flows more-until you get outside IMO)...but the Mansion is more goofy, and the music does mimic that, with the individual ghosts singing and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbadunne View Post
    No thanks.

• Inhospitable about happy

Actually, there is a huge conceptual difference in the music for the two Mansion versions. The HM music is "real" in that you are not supposed to be hearing it as an added soundtrack, like in a movie, but as actual, live music. You hear an organ in the first part of the Mansion, and sure enough, when you get to the ballroom, there it is. You're supposed to think that's the organ you've been hearing all along, wafting through the corridors. You hear a piano in the attic. And there it is. You hear a band playing in the graveyard jamboree. There they are. What about that ethereal music from the "other side" in the Sťance room? See the instruments floating around? That creepy music in the load area; why, that's only the wind playing tricks.

The PM just threw this idea right out the window and elected to go for a full-blown score, like a movie. It's not "wrong," but it is a completely different concept.

So I say leave the HM soundtrack alone! If it ain't broke...etc.

Exactly.
    I was going to say that but I'm terrible at putting my thoughts down coherently.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    I may get flamed for this, but so what.

The original HM is a guy thing. PM is a chick thing.

The Haunted Mansion is all disconnected gags (hey look, a guy in his underwear on a keg 'o TNT; hawhawhaw), mostly sprung from the cartoonish imagination of Marc Davis, who had a real guy's sense of humor (heck, look what that naughty boy did over at POTC!). No story, just you against the spooks. Or better, you going through the experience is the only "story." A few thrills, a few laughs, and you're out the other end.

Ah, but Phantom Manor. The very name conjures up lace doilies and gothic romances. Poor, poor Melanie. Look, she's crying! What's her story? And the chicks dive in like ducks to water: relate, relate, relate. We have pathos, we have tragedy, we have an unresolved male/female conflict. Lush atmospherics help it all along. What a musical score! It's downright cinematic in there; and that means, a story. Not your story, but someone else's: Melanie's. Like I said, relate, relate, relate.

So there you have it. HM tilts blue; PM tilts pink.

And ladies, don't bother telling me how much YOU like the HM, and guys, I already KNOW that lots of you like the PM, so spare me the "Oh yeah?" responses based on those grounds. That proves nothing except that the sexes like each other and are fascinated by each others' psyches.
    I think this hits on a good point, although I really wouldn't call it male vs. female. Actually, the way I see it, DL got the Haunted Mansion Marc Davis wanted, while DLRP got the Haunted Mansion Claude Coats wanted. Now I'm not going to side with either, as I love the HM at DL, and I am intrigued by PM, but I'm gonna have to say that PM may end up being the more forward thinking of the two. Let's face it, the cheap gag and ha-ha is great, but guests can only take so much of it. Audiences nowadays need something more to keep them entertained. They need mystery, suspense, drama, and of course, humor. This is evident in looking at the Haunted Mansion. Over it's lifetime it has gradually taken on a role more similar to Phantom Manor. Constance provides a spooky, albeit comical addition to the mansion, technological advances have always sought to make the ghosts appear more real and chilling. This same philosophy can be seen in POTC. Where the attraction originally followed the same idea, with quick takes, and gags, it has since taken on a much more dramatic and mysterious allure. The addition of more mature elements to the attraction proves this.

This is not to say the comical approach is wrong, that is completely false. However, it isn't far off to say that it's time may come. Audiences, especially children (it saddens me to say) are becoming much more mature and graphic in their tastes. While there are still many children who appreciate the innocence and laughter of clean entertainment, it is not hard to see that the transition to "blood and guts" happens very quickly.

The Haunted Mansion, like the rest of Disneyland, must change to meet the times. Phantom Manor may find much more of itself on American shores in the future, and maybe that's a good thing, as it seems the audiences on the other side of the Atlantic may just not be appreciative enough of it's brilliance.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• oh bugger

Here are a few shots I took this summer of PM. This is the view I mentioned earlier, and below it is the return view from Big Thunder.

Lastly, is just a simple shot of the facade of the manor. The story goes so well with the setting of this area. The minning town that is now deserted except for the ghosts. It fits perfectly with Big Thunder just across the water.

• Basking in birthday love

I don't really have much to add, though I would like to chime in that I LOVE that the Mansion is in a different land in every Kingdom (NOS in Anaheim, Liberty Square in Orlando, Frontierland in Paris, and, IIRC, Fantasyland in Tokyo). I'm nursing the fantasy that when Hong Kong gets their Mansion, it will go in Adventureland or something to keep the tradition alive.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Shubisha

I just love Vincent Price's old spiels for phantom manor.

Come, I have more beauty to show you. Our tour begins here in this gallery, where you gaze upon the sweet innocence of youth. Ah but things are not always as they seem. Can it be this room is actually stretching? And notice this... this chamber has no windows and no doors, which offers you this chilling challenge... Only you can return the demons to the chest... because you let them out..The 13 ghosts of Walt Disney!!!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Hmm, it's like asking me which of my children do I love more. I can't answer because I love them all. The score of PM, the aging bride, the poker playing ghosts, the all encompassing story, the hints to WRE - I love PM.

But the original at DL is a masterpiece and the very first. Gotta love that Antebellum Mansion.

And WDW has a lovely exterior, and the amazing Leota tombstone, but the interior is the worst of the lot for reasons stated before.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    I just love Vincent Price's old spiels for phantom manor.

Come, I have more beauty to show you. Our tour begins here in this gallery, where you gaze upon the sweet innocence of youth. Ah but things are not always as they seem. Can it be this room is actually stretching? And notice this... this chamber has no windows and no doors, which offers you this chilling challenge... Only you can return the demons to the chest... because you let them out..The 13 ghosts of Walt Disney!!!
    I consider myself lucky in that I first visited DLP just one month after the park opened. Vincent Price's voice was still on the attraction then. I hadn't known at the time that he was providing the spiel for PM, so it was exceptionally cool to walk in there and hear his voice.

I was very sad when I went back and his voice had been removed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast