Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Haunted Mansion or Phantom Manor?

I've already posted this in the Disneyland Paris thread but I thought that you guys might have an input also:

What are the differences between the Phantom Manor and the Haunted Mansion?

Also, which one do you consider to be better in these categories?

Themeing:

Story:

Effects:

Misc:
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Haunted Mansion or Phantom Manor?

Well you have airline ticket for me. So I can check it out.?
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

sorry, i guess i should have assumed that most of you havn't been.

I havn't seen it either...but is there anyone who has gone and knows?
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

People have a tendency to spend most of their time in the forum of the resort they frequent most. You're best answers are going to come from the topic you posted in the Disneyland Resort Paris forum. I already posted a great resource there.

Yes and thank you very much i am reading through it right now. Sorry about the double post guys.
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• okeydokey

From what I learned, the Manor has more of a set storyline. The Mansion is kind of ambiguous, letting you put your own things together.

But then again, that's just from reading articles and reviews after articles and reviews. I've never actually ben to Paris.

• Inhospitable about happy

I may get flamed for this, but so what.

The original HM is a guy thing. PM is a chick thing.

The Haunted Mansion is all disconnected gags (hey look, a guy in his underwear on a keg 'o TNT; hawhawhaw), mostly sprung from the cartoonish imagination of Marc Davis, who had a real guy's sense of humor (heck, look what that naughty boy did over at POTC!). No story, just you against the spooks. Or better, you going through the experience is the only "story." A few thrills, a few laughs, and you're out the other end.

Ah, but Phantom Manor. The very name conjures up lace doilies and gothic romances. Poor, poor Melanie. Look, she's crying! What's her story? And the chicks dive in like ducks to water: relate, relate, relate. We have pathos, we have tragedy, we have an unresolved male/female conflict. Lush atmospherics help it all along. What a musical score! It's downright cinematic in there; and that means, a story. Not your story, but someone else's: Melanie's. Like I said, relate, relate, relate.

So there you have it. HM tilts blue; PM tilts pink.

And ladies, don't bother telling me how much YOU like the HM, and guys, I already KNOW that lots of you like the PM, so spare me the "Oh yeah?" responses based on those grounds. That proves nothing except that the sexes like each other and are fascinated by each others' psyches.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I haven't been lucky enough to have gone to Paris to experience the Phantom Manor so I can't really say which is better between the two. I've heard the soundtrack plenty of times though on my soundtrack of the Haunted Mansion I bought at Disneyland years ago.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    That proves nothing except that the sexes like each other and are fascinated by each others' psyches.
    No, it means that everyone is an individual And, do tell me what a hermaphrodite would prefer

Anyhow, what HBG glazed over gave a decent summary. I suggest checking out youtube and watching the series of videos that takes you through the history, backstory, and ride-thru itself. Just type in "Phantom Manor" and you'll be good to go.

We must acknowledge that Haunted Mansion was created first...to ignore that point in the equation isn't a good idea. We must also acknowledge the fact that Walt died in the middle of the creative process on the attraction, leaving the Imagineers with a serious dilemma. Walt never made a final say on the feel he wanted for the Mansion...that's why half of the ride is mainly spooky and relies on backgrounds, and the other half relies on characters. Doombuggies.com goes more in depth about this if you read, but there were two specific men working on the creative force, and they clashed somewhat in this way.

Some might say that in this sense we have a haphazard Mansion. I agree to a certain extent, but it works. There isn't a clear plot, but the story is simple and we take it as it is: we are visiting the home of 999 happy haunts, and they all have a different story to tell.

Then other Mansions evolved at other parks, and we get to Phantom Manor, which has the most different storyline from the rest of the Mansions. It's located in Thunder Mesa and has a huge backstory...an old western boom town. Melanie lives on a rich plantation with a very rich and controlling father who doesn't want his precious little girl to leave him. But Melanie has fallen in love with a young man, and they intend to wed. Melanie's father vows she will not get away with this.

So, of course, on poor Melanie's wedding day, her fiance has been murdered by a hanging (with a mysterious, shadowy figure laughing manically close by), mocking ours, but taking it to a new level. Who is this shadowy figure, the Phantom? Is it Melanie's father, a jealous suitor, the essence of evil, or potentially a combination of sorts? This is never explained. Only we can guess. The majority of the scenes mimic those of the ones we have, but have several differences.

They don't have an attic, for example, but a budoir scene. Melanie sobs at her vanity table, her hair white from the shock from all that happened in the day. Her mirror reflects that of what looks like a skull.

Many of the elements from Marc Davis' concepts for Western River Expedition found a home in this attraction, particularly in a western town scene. Funny, but strange.

They don't have a graveyard scene like ours. Phantom Manor has us go through a catacomb instead...to be honest, I think this is the poorest part of the attraction. The busts are singing there, but it all seems to clash horribly IMO. The rotting corspes look cheap and very "90's". Don't know how else to say it.

I have mixed feelings about the attraction. I'd love to physically experience it, but I don't feel that it's "better" than the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. I don't feel that it's fair to compare the two...they are very different from each other and were created with different goals in mind. For instance, Phantom Manor was intended to have as little dialogue etc. as possible, because the park was created with the hope that many people from different European countries would come to visit...wordless vignettes were something people would understand.

• curiouser and curiouser

i remember thinking that it (PM) looked a bit cheap compared to the original.. the interior sometimes looked as if it was made out of B-horror movie set pieces and such. except for pirates, i was pretty dissatisfied with the whole disneyland paris experience.. i've been meaning to go back though, but the last time we were in paris my boyfriend got sick so we couldn't go..

• Zoinks! Jinkies! Jeepers!

Ok I am a big Mansion fan and been to these 3 so far here yah go.

Disneyland Haunted Mansion

Theming: On its good old creepy hill with its added pet cemetery and the secret side cemetery. Stately well kept white manor with pillars. Perfectly creepy and zany late 60s horror interior at its best.

Story: You go room to room with a raven as your familiar that shows you the way out of the mansion after the stretching room. We do have a story line that has been recently added about the bride in the attic, Constance an axe/hatchet welding black widow of a bride. The ride was not really created with an intended story line. Cast members created one about the hanged Pirate captain our ghost host and his bride who used to be in the attic with a beating heart.

Effects: Peppers Ghost magic at its best. We now have the snazzy effects of the a floating crystal ball for Madame Leota, and green ghost head in the Seance Room and the recently added Constance and the portraits of her grooms head's disappearing.

Misc: Huge fan of this Mansion

Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris

Theming: Same on a hill but this time the grounds are unkempt and western themed, the building is the French cousin of the Psycho House. Great creepy look on the outside. Interior is pretty awesome, only thing I had an issue with is the show scenes are done in very brightly lit dark ride colors for most scenes.

Story: We get the doomed bride and her groom storyline here. There is also a dark phantom like character in the ride. The soundtrack is awesome for this attraction.

Effects: Some great effects. The best being is an unexpected doom buggy move into an open grave.

Misc: Has a attached Boot Hill with an awesome groaning crypt. Great fun and worthy of checking out.

Haunted Mansion at Walt Disney World

Theming: Very stately building along the river. Awesome Master Gracey and Madame Leota graves. Interior is kinda lacking on here, Very 70's show building, badly ripped scrims and effects not working. I just heard its getting some rehab love. Here's hoping you get some well deserved love.

Story: Same as the Disneyland, minus the Constance attic scene.

Effects: Wasn't to impressed since most of them didn't work, but here's hoping for the rehab.

Misc: Ok I am not meaning to sound like a hater, so get out of rehab and I'll visit you soon Mansion.

Hope this help. I know you can find fan sites for most of the rides. Here's a good starter link for you to check out.

www.doombuggies.com
    "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"-Donnie.... "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"-Frank the Bunny.....

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    And, do tell me what a hermaphrodite would prefer
    They haven't been happy since they took out Captain EO.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Jason Surrell's HM book goes into great detail regarding the Phantom Manor's storyline. It's an interesting read, full of info for any HM fan.

Personally, having visited all four in a single trip, I think I prefer PM overall. While I don't like the 'Boot Hill' section after the trip into the open grave (nor do I like their take on the ghosts that follow you home), I think the attraction is just a bit creepier. I like the skeletons and the animatronics better there. I do think our (Disneyland's) new attic is a winner, though. I love the effects we have there. But all things considered, I do prefer Phantom Manor.

Just as I prefer POTC at DLP, as well -- but that's for another thread.

• Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    And, do tell me what a hermaphrodite would prefer
    Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    They haven't been happy since they took out Captain EO.
    That would explain the lyric, "just another part of me."

Lex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast