Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Al

• Quality not quantity

Vintage Al

I was googling around today, looking for info on what the heck this strawberry feild/thrid gate is all about when I ran across a vintage Disneyland FAQ from Al Lutz cira 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by Al
    ...NO DATES HAVE BEEN SET FOR THE FOLLOWING:

A new FANTASMIC! is underway, set to premiere within the next few years,
    with the current show possibly moving to Tokyo DL.

The SUBMARINE ride may get a major theme overhaul, with Atlantis suggested
    as a destination (even including Indy type ride vehicles that you would
    board in a second part of the attraction) sometime after the year 2000.
    This would suggest a total overhaul of the entire SUBMARINE / AUTOPIA area
    straddling both Tomorrowland and Fantasyland....
    A very interesting slice of history.

• Minion

Re: Vintage Al

WDI did try very hard to get the Atlantis themed version of Submarine Voyage launched, with proposed on-board effects. But sadly, it didn't sail. Neither did later attempts.

I'm so glad it's finally coming back!

I own Heigh Ho Mozart...
    Whodda thunk?

Does this mean Al gets credit for predicting the Finding Nemo Sub Ride?
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

• Sector Two Droid Repair

I think it would be fun to look back into history and see exactly how often Lutz is wrong. It would be interesting to compare his batting average to Jim Hill. You might be suprised to see who put out the most <censored>.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by phruby View Post
    I think it would be fun to look back into history and see exactly how often Lutz is wrong.
    If it's a question of who does a better job of presenting the often incomplete and highly volatile world of Disney speculation, well I know who gets my vote. (Hint: It ain't that hill guy)

• Roar!

who? the only "disney rumor journalists" i know are al and jim hill

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I wish that all ducklings would remember that Mr. Lutz only reports what he has been told. When things don't turn out the way he reports, it's doesn't mean he's 'wrong'. It means original plans have changed. Anyone reading his columns should know--by now--that there is an understood disclaimer that his articles are not written in stone. He has no control over any of the changes that take place. He merely tells us what he's been told.

ORWEN: I wonder why that's so hard for some ducklings to understand? It's as if they just enjoy taunting poor Mr. Lutz for the sheer nastiness of it. I'll bet they've been guilty of passing on information that didn't turn out to be true, too! All of us have! It's just a part of Life. It's only wrong when you're deliberately misleading people with false information. I really don't believe Al Lutz would ever do that.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I think it would be fun to look back into history and see exactly how often Lutz is wrong. It would be interesting to compare his batting average to Jim Hill. You might be suprised to see who put out the most <censored>.
    Despite your implication, Al doesn't make this stuff up. When he writes about something, it is because it is currently being discussed by the park management. The problem is that Disney often has several competing plans and a very aggressive accounting department. Often, the result is that popular projects are shelved, cut back, subject to internal power struggles, or take years longer to develop than planned (as was the case with both the Fantasmic and Sub upgrades mentioned above). The funny thing is that they are still talking about the Fantasmic changes. Everything old is new again.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Quality not quantity

Just to be clear, I started this thread because I thought it was a fun look back at what Disney was planning back then. I quoted the sub info becuase it's relivant to the hear and now.

Also, I'd like to give Phruby the benefit of the doubt and assume he ment, how often the info given to Al was incorrect.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

All I'm saying is there is a double standard here. When Hill get it wrong, he was making it up and lying. When Lutz gets it wrong, its because Disney changed its mind but was right at the time. But I guess that is what you get by questioning the master in his own home.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Banned User

All I'm saying is there is a double standard here. When Hill get it wrong, he was making it up and lying. When Lutz gets it wrong, its because Disney changed its mind but was right at the time. But I guess that is what you get by questioning the master in his own home.
    The subs were being redeveloped... the problem, the movie didn't do enough to get an attraction.

a new FANTASMIC! was even predicted by Jim hill and other sites reporting rumors.

Things change in the company, but sometimes things reported by others are so far left field its hard to believe. also sometimes things stated don't happen due to cost versus benefit.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

But I guess that is what you get by questioning the master in his own home.
    That's right, this is Al's house, and I for one am damn glad he's here. Don't be surprised that you're going to get some negativity for going after him in his own hood.

And for what it's worth, I've read both of the the aforementioned Disney writers and Al get's it right alot more than the other guy!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Banned User

Al Lutz is a big fat man who bashes Disneyland on the Internet. I love him and his crazy updates and will never stop reading his web site.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Al Lutz is a big fat man who bashes Disneyland on the Internet. I love him and his crazy updates and will never stop reading his web site.
    why do i think of santa when you said that.... well that or the joke in the Soarin' pre-show safety video. "and these little beauties"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast