Opus Archives: Monorail Expansion!

Once Upon A Times New Roman...

...there lived a simple little attraction, a ride really. His name was the Santa Fe and Disneyland-Alweg Retlaw Monorail or something like that. Quite a mouthful, so most of his friends just called him "The Monorail." He was a short 'lil fella. Only 3 cars in length. He didn't go very far. Just 'round and 'round Tomorrowland and a little slice of Fantasyland.

His passengers were never confused about where they were or what station to get off at, because he always dropped them off exactly where he had picked them up. Every ride was a non-stop round-trip. A scenic loop to nowhere in particular.

He was always purported to be some sort of transportation system of the future. But having only one station...he really didn't transport anyone anywhere. But you know what? The people loved him all the same!

A block or so away sat the Disneyland Hotel. His friends just called him "The Disneyland Hotel." He was a happy little hotel. But he sometimes did feel a little lonely and left out of all the "action" going on just across the street. But you know what? The people loved him all the same!

Now running back and forth carrying people between the Park and the Disneyland Hotel was another little fellow...the Disneyland Hotel Tram. His passengers called him "The Hotel Tram."

He was a hard working little guy, and often strained under the weight of so many passengers going to and from the Park. Because he was the only transportation between the two, it didn't matter who you were. An average tourist or a big star like Shirley Temple...

...if you wanted a ride between the two, you had to hop on The Hotel Tram...rain or shine. He was sometimes slow, overcrowded, bumpy, a little stinky, and almost always playfully messed up the ladies' hair. But you know what? People loved him just the same!

So one day this fella named Mort something...no...wait...it was Walt. Yeah...that's it...Walt something. Anyway this Walt fella decided Monorail should stop being just a little ride around his Park, and fulfill its true destiny: To become a real bone fide transportation system.

So this Walt fella told Monorail that it was time to grow up.

Then he hopped on The Hotel Tram and went over and told the Disneyland Hotel he was about to become part of the action going on across the street. And on the way back he told The Hotel Tram that soon he would be getting some help carrying all those people to and from the hotel.

At first Monorail, Hotel, and Tram couldn't believe their good fortune. But soon this Walt fellow announced the news to all the world...

After that...things moved along pretty quickly! A lot of people thought that Monorail had gone on vacation or something. But Monorail had actually decided this would be a great time to do some body building, and soon he was sporting a forth car! Boy...how he had grown!

Out in the Parking Lot (God rest its dear little soul) there was activity all over the place as Monorail's beam was extended all the way to the Disneyland Hotel!

And before you knew it...in addition to his normal scenic duties...new longer Monorail had become a true "Highway In The Sky" carrying lots and lots of happy people down Harbor Boulevard...

...across the Parking Lot and West Street, to the Disneyland Hotel and its brand new Monorail Station!

Everyone was so happy and excited, that Monorail even started offering scenic Round Trip "tours" of Disneyland from the Disneyland Hotel Station!

And They All Lived Happily Ever After! Except the Parking Lot, Hotel Station, and Hotel Tram, poor fellows.

The End

Which brings us to today. If the rumored third gate ever gets built down Harbor...do you think this story will ever have a new chapter?
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 03-20-2007 at 04:32 PM.

• Shubisha

Re: Opus Archives: Monorail Expansion!

I certainly hope so But I'm still just waiting for the peak season day that we get 3 monorails on the track again.

Thanks for the story.

• Dragons rock my socks.

Nice job! Your post reads like a storybook!
    Welcome to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center.

If you ever see a skinny eight year-old looking kid sprinting through Adventureland, yell "Hi!" at me!
    Btw, I'm really not eight.

So I'm sitting at my computer thinking, hey, I need a creative signature so that people on micechat will remember me. And then it hits me: I'll just type it up!
    I sure am creative.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Awww! The little Monorail that could!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Very cool pics!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Sock Puppet

Great pictures. Your posts never cease to amaze me. Great work!

I always read your posts Opus. I love the vintage stuff! Keep 'em coming!
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Opus1guy again.

Thanks for delivering another amazing post, Opus. You are an invaluable asset to MiceChat! Thanks!

As for future expansion - here's hoping. DCA needs a stop - how about making a stop that can be a DCA/Grand Californian Hotel stop? And a third-gate Monorail stop sounds good to me as well, of course, you'd need to show your Park Hopper Ticket, or Annual Passport upon entering the Monorail station, but who doesn't get Park Hoppers or APs nowadays anyway, right?

that's awesome. you have a gift for telling a good story. i love the little quirk about the parking lot.

thanks for sharing this with us!

ooh - and disneyland closed on mondays and tuesdays during the winter months?!?! imagine if they tried to do that now.
    kingdom hearts <3er

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kickcows View Post
    that's awesome. you have a gift for telling a good story. i love the little quirk about the parking lot.

thanks for sharing this with us!

ooh - and disneyland closed on mondays and tuesdays during the winter months?!?! imagine if they tried to do that now.
    That was the inspiration for the movie with Chevy Chase called "Vacation."
    Cue: "Holiday Rooooo-ohhh-ohhh-ohhh-ad."
    Saw that somewhere recently, that Disney wouldn't go for it, by the time the script made it to production they were open 7 days a week.

PS Opus, I agree with everything this poster said.

• The Fantasyland guy

As much as I want to see the monorail go to the third gate, whenever that is, I doubt it will ever happen. According to monorail.org, the costs for constructing an extention to the exact same monorail system has risen to almost 75 - 85 million a MILE!! That means that in order to have two way traffic between both parks would cost like 125 - 150 million dollars.

Trust me when I say this, I want a monorail extention as much as anyone does... but I doubt anyone at Disney would jump on board if thouse numbers were correct. I love the way the monorail is used in Florida.