Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Resident Ghost

7-10 minute speech

Let's say I was going to give a 7-10 minute speech about disneyland or an aspect of it, what could I do it on that would appeal to all audiences?

• n/a

Re: 7-10 minute speech

I've done speeches on how to make the most of your trip... planning, saving money, tips etc. People loved it.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Thanks, Ollie

How the parks have become cultural icons...
    Why people love the parks so much/what they represent...

Good Luck!

• in technicolor!

Well, a girl in my Communications class last quarter did her presentation on Disneyland. She gave the briefest and albiet worst summary of the history of the park and then talked about the different lands. Everyone was pretty unimpressed. So, uhm...don't do that. Haha.

I mean, that could work but you have to make it interesting and talk about aspects of the park that not many people know about. I'm sure you could get help with that here. I think any aspect of Disneyland would be good to talk about, it's the excecution of it that will make it work.

• Santa Barbara, CA

How to get free tickets and 30% off of food and merchandise.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Basking in birthday love

What's it for? Are you looking for persuasive, anecdotal, topical, or something else? The parks are so rich in history and in cultural importance that you could get a practically unlimited breadth of scope and length. For instance, I did my junior year AcDec speech (3 minutes) on the first time I saw Tinker Bell, and I was considering writing my Media Studies thesis, a 100-ish page research paper, on the ways that the changes in Tomorrowland have reflected the changes in American society's conception of the future. (I decided against the MS major, so that paper will unfortunately never get written.)

Just pick an aspect of the parks that interests you, then write way too much material nd narrow it down to the time that you need.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Bring Your Own Redemption

You could try speaking about how Disneyland brings happiness to so many people, young and old. Talk about how Disneyland brings families together, touches so many lives every single day, and how one place can bring such joy to everyone. Conclude with a mention of how Disneyland is like no other place in the entire world, and how it will continue to live on for generations to come...
    Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Last year when I was taking my speech class, I did three Disneyland-related speeches.
    - Informative Speech (3-5 minutes) - Brief history of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion.
    - Persuasive Speech (6-7 minutes) - Visit Disneyland during the 50th Anniversary Celebration
    - Entertainment Speech (No real time limit, but reccommended 3-5 minutes) - Narration for the walk-through portion of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion.

The Entertainment speech was our final speech, and when I got up, my introduction was "Today I'm going to take you all back to Disneyland, and, well, back to the Haunted Mansion." I said it in a good-humored "I'm a nerd" type way, and the whole class and the teacher got a laugh out of it.

I passed the class with a B. Good times.

• Resident Ghost

Good ideas. The reason I ask is because I'm in speech and debate and I want to create an expository speech incorporating visuals and maybe even sound.

• Basking in birthday love

For an expository speech, history is probably going to be your best bet. You can choose the history of the park as a whole, or of a particular land, or even of a particular ride. (For instance, the Matterhorn has a rather interesting place in history for several different reasons, and the Haunted Mansion has some fun stories surrounding it.)

I'd recommend hanging around the Opera House and listening to different Cast Members in the lobby, as they give speeches of varying lengths about the displays and the history of the park, and different people like to talk about different things. As an example, here's the outline of my full 15 minute spiel, the longest I usually give at the Opera House.

-origins of Disneyland in Walt's love of model trains
    -original concepts for theme park to be located in Burbank
    -first complete concept drawing, completed by Herb Ryman in 36 hours
    -ticket books, which ones debuted when; first E-ticket attractions; switch to all-inclusive passport
    -maquettes from Fantasyland dark rides, used to model attraction layout
    -Blaine Gibson, Disney Legend known for his sculptures
    -1983 Fantasyland renovation
    -"it's a small world" song origins
    -Sleeping Beauty Castle and its walkthrough
    -Main Street's setting and inspiration
    -Tomorrowland and its major renovations
    -Space Mountain field model

And that's only a portion of the displays; the exhaustively complete tour of the lobby takes 45 minutes to an hour, so usually only trainees get it.

As you can see, there's a ridiculous amount of information and history that's piled up in a little over 50 years. I'd say pick your favorite ride and start researching. You'll probably find enough information to tide you over.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Resident Ghost

Thanks a lot. Who knew 50 years has so much?

• Infinitized!

Dress like a certain Kazakh journalist, grow a moustache, speak in poor english, and act as if you didn't know any better, then you should be a hit!

• Resident Ghost

My name is Borat. I come from beautiful country of Kazakhstan to tell you about glorious land of Disney...

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    For an expository speech, history is probably going to be your best bet. You can choose the history of the park as a whole, or of a particular land, or even of a particular ride. (For instance, the Matterhorn has a rather interesting place in history for several different reasons, and the Haunted Mansion has some fun stories surrounding it.)

I'd recommend hanging around the Opera House and listening to different Cast Members in the lobby, as they give speeches of varying lengths about the displays and the history of the park, and different people like to talk about different things. As an example, here's the outline of my full 15 minute spiel, the longest I usually give at the Opera House.

-origins of Disneyland in Walt's love of model trains
    -original concepts for theme park to be located in Burbank
    -first complete concept drawing, completed by Herb Ryman in 36 hours
    -ticket books, which ones debuted when; first E-ticket attractions; switch to all-inclusive passport
    -maquettes from Fantasyland dark rides, used to model attraction layout
    -Blaine Gibson, Disney Legend known for his sculptures
    -1983 Fantasyland renovation
    -"it's a small world" song origins
    -Sleeping Beauty Castle and its walkthrough
    -Main Street's setting and inspiration
    -Tomorrowland and its major renovations
    -Space Mountain field model

And that's only a portion of the displays; the exhaustively complete tour of the lobby takes 45 minutes to an hour, so usually only trainees get it.

As you can see, there's a ridiculous amount of information and history that's piled up in a little over 50 years. I'd say pick your favorite ride and start researching. You'll probably find enough information to tide you over.
    Good suggestions. However, I would steer clear from speeches pertaining to the general history of the whole park. I originally wanted to do my Informative Speech on Disneyland, but my teacher shot my topic proposition down. He said the topic was far too broad and it would be uninteresting because I wouldn't have time to delve into more interesting details. So I whittled my options down and settled on my favorite ride, the Haunted Mansion. It was the best decision I made. If we weren't in class on our speech day without a doctor's note as a legitimate reason, our grade scale automatically began at C. I got a C on that test, meaning that if I didn't do my speech late, I would have earned the A.

What I'm trying to say is, narrow your topic down. stay away from broad topics, get something more specific. Choose your favorite attraction, or even land. But don't do the entire park.

• Merry 2014!

I have always thought the music of the park was important to the Disneyland experience. It sets the mood. Always wondered how and why they chose the songs that play in Main Street. Some were featured in movies, some from broadway musicals and others from popular music.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast