Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Is it too early to promote the Subs coming back?

They're still pushing the whole "rockin'/2-fer" thing and that goes until the end of April.

I'd venture to guess ads will be run when that's over.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    They'll use the ride as a draw to bring people to the park.. that's the whole point.
    And when those guests get inside and discover a four-hour line in the hot summer sun, goodwill for Disney flies right out the window.

Those visitors who'll be making special trips to DL just to see Nemo Subs because of an ad they saw on TV will be furious if they don't get the opportunity to ride at least once. And with local AP tweens spending their entire day in line, riding over and over because they've already burned out on most everything else in the park, no more than 12,000 of those 65,000 visitors will get their shot at riding even once.

Advertising this attraction to draw non-AP guests to the park is a classic bait-n-switch tactic used by car dealerships promoting bare bones autos at below sticker price. Disney needs to nurture and retain good will amongst their customer base to maintain long-term stability. Conning folks to visit DL to ride the subs once more without telling them of the horrific queue they will be forced to endure is reprehensible and smacks of pure greed.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    And when those guests get inside and discover a four-hour line in the hot summer sun, goodwill for Disney flies right out the window.

Those visitors who'll be making special trips to DL just to see Nemo Subs because of an ad they saw on TV will be furious if they don't get the opportunity to ride at least once.
    Which is why I don't think they'll run ads JUST for the ride.. but I would expect a 'now open!' type add-on to an ad campaign. or teaser bits (this summer..) tags as well

The low capacity thing isn't going away.. I don't see them waiting a year to start mentioning the ride beyond the park maps

Disney needs to nurture and retain good will amongst their customer base to maintain long-term stability. Conning folks to visit DL to ride the subs once more without telling them of the horrific queue they will be forced to endure is reprehensible and smacks of pure greed.
    Well maybe they should have consider that when they green-lit the ride design?

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Well maybe they should have consider that when they green-lit the ride design?
    I am not sure how much they were willing to make changes based on the possible cost implications. And I think we all believe after the hype is over, the hourly capacity of the ride will accomodate people that want to ride. The first year will be bad, maybe even next summer, but by fall 2008 I suspect the normal wait to be under an hour or much less on a regular basis. Which means DD and I can ride every time we visit. It can become the new ISAW!

• U. B. Bold

Why would they need to advertise it when they gat all of this internet hype for free?
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    I am not sure how much they were willing to make changes based on the possible cost implications.
    My point was.... nothing comes for free. They want to avoid a 'horrific queue' they should have paid for it.

• Fastest Man Alive

Those visitors who'll be making special trips to DL just to see Nemo Subs because of an ad they saw on TV will be furious if they don't get the opportunity to ride at least once. And with local AP tweens spending their entire day in line, riding over and over because they've already burned out on most everything else in the park, no more than 12,000 of those 65,000 visitors will get their shot at riding even once.

Advertising this attraction to draw non-AP guests to the park is a classic bait-n-switch tactic used by car dealerships promoting bare bones autos at below sticker price. Disney needs to nurture and retain good will amongst their customer base to maintain long-term stability. Conning folks to visit DL to ride the subs once more without telling them of the horrific queue they will be forced to endure is reprehensible and smacks of pure greed.
    So what are they supposed to do?

<commerical>-
    [Blue Screen with bubbles, words fly at screen]
    THIS SUMMER...

THE SUBS ARE BACK...

DON'T BOTHER THOUGH...

IT'LL BE A MAD HOUSE...</commercialend>

Somehow I don't think that will fly

I think that's a bit dramatic. I know they advertised the heck out of Indy before it came out. TV specials, billboards with 3-D skulls, special commercials. That line was a good 3-4 hours long for the first year, nobody got all that upset because it was expected. I'm sure the case will be the same with Nemo. Most average families don't travel across the states just to see the newest attraction. They live so far away that they are traveling to see Disneyland itself. About half of the tourists will wait, and the other half will see what a commotion the ride has caused and make a mental note to check it out on a future trip, giving them reasons to return to the park.

The bait and switch car lot analogy is harsh. Car dealers lure you in so you settle for a worse deal. I don't think the other dozens of attractions at the DLR are a worse deal than Nemo Subs, just a completely different vehicle with it's own share of pros and cons. I myself will go sometime in July, go to Nemo first thing, wait and hour or two, then have the rest of the day to enjoy the other attractions. It's no big deal.

• Do You know?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    So what are they supposed to do?

<commerical>-
    [Blue Screen with bubbles, words fly at screen]
    THIS SUMMER...

THE SUBS ARE BACK...

DON'T BOTHER THOUGH...

IT'LL BE A MAD HOUSE...</commercialend>

Somehow I don't think that will fly
    Thank you, you just made me laugh out loud at work and I needed that!!

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I think that's a bit dramatic. I know they advertised the heck out of Indy before it came out. TV specials, billboards with 3-D skulls, special commercials. That line was a good 3-4 hours long for the first year, nobody got all that upset because it was expected. I'm sure the case will be the same with Nemo.
    Apples to oranges.

First, Indy has a much higher capacity than subs. Much higher. And long before its first year ended, the line averaged 90 minutes in length, two hours during peak. Nemo Subs line will eventually reach the 2 hour mark after the hype dies down. But I doubt this line will ever drop under 90 minutes with 30K in the park.

Second, the AP program was much smaller in 1995 when Indy opened, than it is now. There are far more locals who regularly visit the parks, who have been starved for a brand new E-Ticket inside DL since Indy opened. They will be the ones to stand in line for hours on end, like they did for Soarin' when DCA opened. And that attraction frequently had posted wait times of 300 minutes (5 hours) during peak times. No way that Nemo Subs will be any different.

Because of the AP program with over 650,000 passholders, DL doesn't need to advertise this attraction before it opens. Doing so would be to specifically target those individuals who are nostalgic for the subs AND who do not have an AP. And when those casual and infrequent visitors hit the park and see that four to five-hour line for the subs, they will feel duped. And rightfully so.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

What Disney should do is replace the subs with a buzz lightyear style ride,fed through a plexiglass tub like shark encounter at seaworld.The tubs would surface at the loading dock,and loaded just like buzz and mansion rides are.that should get the capacity up to 2-3 thousand per hour.It also makes it more emersive,you can imagine you're a fish.

• Zero Blockout Dates

The Submarines are coming back? There's hope for the Carousel of Progress after all!

IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Pilot EdForceOne

Well to dig up the old topic..

Obviously Disney is now advertising the ride.. and is even doing a dedicated road show to promote it.

Let the hating begin!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1D_QXoLNA[/youtube]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12