Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Santa Barbara, CA

CBJ was the epitome of the Ron Miller era at the WDC. IMO, it showed how irrelevent the aging animators were becoming with the audience. It just didn't age well in the park. Some shows stand the test of time with the average guest and some don't. It was empty most of the time and the acoustics in that theater were awful. The soundtrack sounded muffled and mono, bad for a musical. In addition, Southern California is not a hot bed of country fans either, we knew more of John Ritter and less of Tex, and that could be why WDW is a better place for that show.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by EpTxGuy
    Just be grateful Stitch hasn't set his sights on Critter Country.
    ::shudders at the thought of Stitch::

Ok I grew up on Pooh! er Winnie the Pooh. I remember going to DL as a kid and not really enjoying that area Critter Country, maybe because it was hot there I dont know. I did like the Jmaboree though. However my feelings now are I am glad they updated with somethign that todays kids can idnetify with. I have a feeling if that lame movie Country Bears did well it wouldnt have changed. But it did and we got a cute little attraction out of it. It may be card board cut outs but my neice and nephew dont know it, I rather enjoy it. I love me some Heffalumps and Woozles... they come in one's and two-oozles!

"This guy!"

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus
    The Country Bear Jamboree rarely drew the kind of crowds it gets at Disney World. I thought the Christmas show was OK, but the original show was much better than Vacation Hoedown.
    Keep in mind that the WDW park only has the one theater. Running the two theaters at Disneyland made the crowds look smaller. Also the Disneyland end of the day totals was respectable. It drew bigger crowds than say "Innoventions" does.

The other thing was the ablity to change the show! They could have either brought back the first show and/or come up with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    The other thing was the ablity to change the show! They could have either brought back the first show and/or come up with a new one.
    Ed Zachary!

I miss the Country Bears. I hate the Pooh ride. I've only ridden it to try and find the heads on the wall.

• Bear Country Refugee

The bears ROCKED! I miss them. <sniff>

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    Aww when I first saw the title of thread I thought it was going to be about ugly bears in Disneyland and the demise of all the hot ones.
    There are still plenty of hot bears to be found wandering the park. Sometimes in groups; sometimes pushing strollers...

What? Did I say something?

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    I don't really miss Country Bears...if they had replaced it with, say, Pooh's Hunny Hunt from TDL, I would have been much happier. I can buy Pooh characters being "critters", I just would have prefered a better executed ride--if only it had been built a year later, Ouimet could have helped it out...Buzz, for example, is not an especially long dark ride, but it's very good.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Minion

*stabs pooh with a disneyland spork* Not only that but the Pooh and friends are not Disney characters.
    Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey

• Banned User

Not only that.. but they had a chance of improving over the WDW version..... but messed up and making it a "higher capacity" and not as nice version as FLA's... or so i hear.. they should have built Tokyos... or improved on WDW's or nothing at all...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus
    The Country Bear Jamboree rarely drew the kind of crowds it gets at Disney World. I thought the Christmas show was OK, but the original show was much better than Vacation Hoedown.

I'm not a big fan of Pooh, but personally I would rather have him replace the Country Bears than Mr. Toad like he did at Disney World. It's definitely no worse than replacing America Sings with offices, then Innoventions.

I miss playing Big Al Golf too, but I don't think the area is ruined.
    The only reason why it was not getting crowds was because the entrance was hidden. If you were a tourist would you know it was there? I think not. All I think it needed was a great refurbishment and redesign of the entrance like they did with Tiki Room and it would of brought a ton of people in.

Lets face it guys, disney is loosing its creativity and imagination. Like Walt said Disneyland will live if Imagination survives and so far it is dying badly. Tomorrowland is on life support and now we are loosing critter country. The only life support left are the classic attractions like pirates and hm and eventually they will be replaced and then what would we have? What are you going to do when they replace Small World, Matterhorn, and any of those? These rides are not immortal there will come a time when they either need major overhauls or they will be replaced. When Pirates is over 100 years old and people finally say this is boring what are you going to do?

• Animatronic

I really don't see how anyone can defend Pooh. With the demise of America Sings and Country Bears, Disneyland is left with the two oldest and most static animatronic shows, Lincoln and Tiki Room. Nowhere in the park is a big budget AA show with characters that move on and off stage. Some may not believe this, but Lincoln gets old quicker than something like COP, America Sings, or Country Bears. I know the era of the grand animatronic show is long gone, but these strong, character driven shows hold more lasting value than a 3D movie or a plywood kiddie ride.

• Minion

The only reason that they put in the Pooh rides is because next to fab four (Donald, Mickey, Goofy, Minnie) the next highest character sellers are pooh and friends. Believe me I know this for a fact, working all over the park in every store it was always where tigger, eeyore ect ect I personally loved the country bears, it was my great grandmother's favorite attraction, and it was the last thing we went on at the park with her a week before she died. So it was special to me.
    Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    With the demise of America Sings and Country Bears, Disneyland is left with the two oldest and most static animatronic shows, Lincoln and Tiki Room. Nowhere in the park is a big budget AA show with characters that move on and off stage. Some may not believe this, but Lincoln gets old quicker than something like COP, America Sings, or Country Bears. I know the era of the grand animatronic show is long gone, but these strong, character driven shows hold more lasting value than a 3D movie or a plywood kiddie ride.
    Maybe the best post I've ever read on this board (imho).

I too, am afraid, that the grand animatronic shows will never come back. It was one of the big things that made DL so different and a cut above Knott's and Magic Mt.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by socal05
    Maybe the best post I've ever read on this board (imho).

I too, am afraid, that the grand animatronic shows will never come back. It was one of the big things that made DL so different and a cut above Knott's and Magic Mt.
    It will never come back and that is a fact. Once they phase out the ones they have they will never make a new one again. Rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, Country Bears, Haunted Mansion, America Sings are on verge of becoming extinct. Once they get rid of these there will never be replacements because their excuse is that it is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, Country Bears, Haunted Mansion, America Sings are on verge of becoming extinct.
    Doubt they'll be able to remove POC or HM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Once they get rid of these there will never be replacements because their excuse is that it is too expensive.
    Sad but may be true... Think of all that could be done with today's technology and creativity. But as you said in a previous post:

Lets face it guys, disney is loosing its creativity and imagination.

I love DL, but there's been very little done in recent memory to prove this wrong. Is there much inside Pooh that any of us couldn't come up with? Let's hope Nemo changes this trend :o

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast