Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    You have an interesting mind. Anyone ever tell you that?

I think that trends are cyclical, like history and Disney must go through the creative pendulum swing of hitting bottom before they experience breakthrough and rise from their own ashes. Right now the "50th" is the height of managerial derivitiveness. "Just clean the place up, bring it back and we'll be fine." No risks, just look back and let nostalgia do it's thing, no new ideas required. When that fades out (or the new paint does), then the real test of rebirth will have to begin and it will take some changes at the top to achieve this. The old guard must be just that.

I believe in pendulum swings and the cycle of "breakthrough, growth, cashcow, decline and rebirth". It happens in society and nature. It's the Disneyland Autumn, the 50th leaves are beautiful, but when they fall off, there may be the cold creative DL winter andf hopefully a springtime of new ideas.
    Thank you for the compliment. (that was a compliment wasn't it??)

I've started to think that after 50 years, Disneyland may be close to completion. There is little undeveloped land left. I'm rather inclined to hope it stays undeveloped, particularly the Big Thunder Ranch area. The open feel enhances the theme of frontier. So many of the rides and attractions have become icons of Americana it will be very difficult if not impossible to remove them for replacement. Can you even conceive of the day when POTC or IASW would be razed for a new E-ticket? (OK... some goof almost did that with most of Tomorrowland. Fortunately, enough is left to repair the vandalism.) Disneyland is a park that almost reaches capacity on a daily basis. If it was my money, I'd pretty much stick with fixing the broken stuff and keeping the place pretty and clean. If you're catching all the fish your boat can hold, you don't need better bait. But I said, "...close to completion." There are still a few scattered areas that could use help. Bear/Critter Country that started this thread is probably a good place to start. Tomorrowland is on the rise so there are a lot of possibilities there still. Main St, NOS, Frontierland, Fantasyland will never change. Adventureland is probably set in stone too... with the possible exception of the Tahitian Terrace area. (I don't much like Toontown, so I don't care.) Frankly, if I was calling the shots, I'd pretty much just keep DL clean and throw the money into DCA. That is a park that needs imagination and development the most.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Thank you for the compliment. (that was a compliment wasn't it??)

Yes, it was.

I kind of think the next big breakthrough won't be from Disney, but from left field. Just as Google came out of no where, the next big thing in entertainment may not be a corporate product, just like Walt blowing away the studios in his day, just 2 guys in a garage. What do you think? Most corporations seldom breakthrough with their own internal think tanks.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Yes, it was.

I kind of think the next big breakthrough won't be from Disney, but from left field. Just as Google came out of no where, the next big thing in entertainment may not be a corporate product, just like Walt blowing away the studios in his day, just 2 guys in a garage. What do you think? Most corporations seldom breakthrough with their own internal think tanks.
    Well, ya never know where stuff will come from, but I also tend to believe that the "next big thing" is often something most of us have never even conceived. Imagine its the 1700s and we're looking for better ways to light our homes. We're thinking in terms of more efficient candles. Who would ever conceive of incandescent lamps? Well, eventually Mr. Edison did and the world changed dramatically. (BTW... along this same line, I think the eventual solution to our energy situation will be a similar loooong leap. Mr. Tesla, please answer your phone.)

Credible and tactile holograms? REAL time travel? Direct brain-input a la Capt. Pike?

And yer probably right, Cous. In some garage somewhere are a couple of misfits going, "Ya know.... this just might work..."
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Critter Country and New Orleans Square are only parts of Frontierland. This fact is the reason Pooh needs to leave as soon as possible.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Well, ya never know where stuff will come from, but I also tend to believe that the "next big thing" is often something most of us have never even conceived. Imagine its the 1700s and we're looking for better ways to light our homes. We're thinking in terms of more efficient candles. Who would ever conceive of incandescent lamps? Well, eventually Mr. Edison did and the world changed dramatically. (BTW... along this same line, I think the eventual solution to our energy situation will be a similar loooong leap. Mr. Tesla, please answer your phone.)

Credible and tactile holograms? REAL time travel? Direct brain-input a la Capt. Pike?

And yer probably right, Cous. In some garage somewhere are a couple of misfits going, "Ya know.... this just might work..."
    That's it..And there's no corporate structure to tell them it's impossible or to stifle their thinking. Here's to keeping garages everywhere buzzing. My wife often banishes me to mine and im always grateful.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345