Thread: Summer crowds

• Rawr...

Summer crowds

Looks like I'm able to go to DL in early July. What are the crowds like around then? We're going in the middle of the week, so nooooooo weekends for us. Maybe a Friday though...
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Merry 2014!

Re: Summer crowds

I don't know how often you have been to the park and it has been a long time since I went during the summer months (hot weather and crowds are not for me), but plan for heavy crowds, long wait in lines and hot, hot weather. Use the fastpass system to the max, take advantage of early entry, or get there an hour, maybe more, before the park opens. Nemo will be open so the park may be jammed. Take an afternoon break. Just take it easy, keep positive and you will have a good time.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Drunk On Disney

I go to DL in the summer a whole lot.

I think, as long as it's not your first time visiting, busy times can be just as fun as the slow times.

The lines will be longer, but the hours will be better and very little is down for re-hab.

I recommend showing up 30 minutes before opening and then leave at 12pm-ish. Go back to your hotel, see an Angels game, visit the In and Out, whatever. Then return around 4pm refreshed and ready to enjoy the nightime at DL.

By skipping the busiest and hottest (although I never find SoCal to be unbearable - unlike WDW) time of the day you will enjoy your time more.

Those are my two cents.

I agree that it will be HOT and long lines but you will have fun. I remember a couple years ago when my whole family went my brother ended up paying like $40-50 on water so if you can somehow sneak water in or get the free ice water that would save greatly.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfnatc View Post
    I agree that it will be HOT and long lines but you will have fun. I remember a couple years ago when my whole family went my brother ended up paying like $40-50 on water so if you can somehow sneak water in or get the free ice water that would save greatly.
    No need to sneak water, you can just bring it with you. We do that. Our favorite refill spot is Rancho Del Zocalo. Go inside to the drink area and fill you water bottle with ice, then outside in the center of the dining area there is a cold water sink.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Last summer there was a mega-heat wave in July, but temperatures in Anaheim are historically not that hot.

See www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ca0192 (Period of Record: 8/1/1989 to 12/31/2005)

June: Average High 80.2F (26.8C), Average Low 60.5F (15.8C)
    July: Average High 84.4F (29.1C), Average Low 63.7F (17.6C)
    August: Average High 86.8F (30.4C), Average Low 64.2F (17.9C)

I have gone the first week of August the last two years, and the temperature has never gotten above 85 degrees. As mentioned by others in this thread, take breaks every afternoon. We get a nearby hotel (walking distance) and do this every day.

If you are coming for several days, the info in this thread (from another board - sorry ) may help: "Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

You are correct, Hydroguy. Summers in Anaheim are not all that hot. Yes there may be a spike into the 90's or even 102 or so every now and then, but on average, summer temps rarely go above the upper 80's.

In fact, my brother who lives in Houston comes out here every summer with his family for a couple weeks just to beat the heat!

• Merry 2014!

Hmmm, I must have hit a heat wave cause it was really hot the last time I went in the summer. I live in Reno which can get into the very high 90's. Maybe it was the humidity too. Anyway, I like that tip about water at Ranco del Zocalo, have to remember it.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

its gonna be hot, crowded, irritating...BUT!!!

its still the best place to visit...EVER...i need my fix :-p
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    Hmmm, I must have hit a heat wave cause it was really hot the last time I went in the summer. I live in Reno which can get into the very high 90's. Maybe it was the humidity too. Anyway, I like that tip about water at Ranco del Zocalo, have to remember it.
    Yes, last summer was hotter than normal. The average temps are no higher than 88, meaning sometimes it will be hotter, other times cooler. Last summer saw more hot days than normal and it is likely that is when you visited.

Interesting comment about the humidity. California in general is known for its low humidity during the summers, at least compared to the rest of the country. I know when I go to Vegas for a few days, whenever I come back home it feels like I am in Hawaii because Vegas is sooo much drier!

That being stated, it can get a bit humid as you get closer to August and early September. Southern California sometimes picks up "monsoonal moisture" from sub-tropical Mexico, and during these times the humidity does get noticably thicker.

• That Guy

If you can, skip the summer at DLR. I have gone once during the summer and it is a whole different animal. Hot, humid, people are grouchy, etc. Not there is really an off-season anymore, but I really won't go in the summer. If you do decide to, you can get some great info here, so it will mitigate any negative effects. Best of luck!

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Interesting comment about the humidity. California in general is known for its low humidity during the summers, at least compared to the rest of the country. I know when I go to Vegas for a few days, whenever I come back home it feels like I am in Hawaii because Vegas is sooo much drier!

That being stated, it can get a bit humid as you get closer to August and early September. Southern California sometimes picks up "monsoonal moisture" from sub-tropical Mexico, and during these times the humidity does get noticably thicker.
    Yeah, there is not much humidity here in Nevada. Practically everywhere else feels almost tropical for a couple of days. I did go towards the end of August, so the humidity was probably amped up a bit. I still had a good time, just in the future won't go during that part of the year. Maybe early June would be better? I do like having all the attractions open. Usually I make a trip in October and some things are bound to be closed and fireworks are not an option in the middle of the week.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    If you can, skip the summer at DLR. I have gone once during the summer and it is a whole different animal. Hot, humid, people are grouchy, etc. Not there is really an off-season anymore, but I really won't go in the summer. If you do decide to, you can get some great info here, so it will mitigate any negative effects. Best of luck!
    Others obviously feel this way too, but I have to say that summer is my favorite time to visit DLR. I suppose it depends on how often you go. We get to DLR once every year or two, and when we go we want maximum park hours, maximum show frequency, and maximum number of rides operating. Plus, we do not want to be rained on. Summer offers all of those things. If one stays at a walking distance hotel, and takes a long break every afternoon, the heat (such as it is) and crowds are not that bad - at least during weekdays.

For those able to visit more frequently, it is not such a disappointment to go and have (like now) Splash Mtn and Fantasmic both down. You can see them on your next trip. If you go less regularly, it is more disappointing.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    Yeah, there is not much humidity here in Nevada. Practically everywhere else feels almost tropical for a couple of days. I did go towards the end of August, so the humidity was probably amped up a bit. I still had a good time, just in the future won't go during that part of the year. Maybe early June would be better? I do like having all the attractions open. Usually I make a trip in October and some things are bound to be closed and fireworks are not an option in the middle of the week.
    Yes, weather-wise late May or early June are good times. It is probably going to be crowded, but I don't have to tell you that. This time period experiences the "June gloom" which is characteized by overcast skies that often burn off by mid-noon, sometimes not burning off at all. It keeps things a bit cooler than mid-summer.

Just to compele the year, July - September is usually hot as we have already discussed. Mid October things start cooling off, with the rainy season usually starting from November to about late March but can go up to May sometimes. The parks are less crowded then but there are often ride closures during this time of year.

If you do go during the summer, my advice is to treat yourself to a room in Newport Beach or maybe Huntington. Beach towns are usually about 15 -20 degrees cooler than Anaheim, are only about 20 minutes away, and in all honesty charge roughly the same rates as the Grand Californian with arguably much better service. Plus they are near the beach and it is very relaxing to spend a day or half a day at the beach after you've been running around the DLR in 88 degree heat!