Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Opus Archives: Remembering "Arthur"

A blurb from an article in the Spring 1996 Disney Magazine about the Main Street Electrical Parade "glowing away":

"I Only Hope That We Never Lose Sight Of One Thing,
    That It Was All Started By A Mouse." - Walt Disney
    http://www.StartedByAMouse.com

• For You!

What a great story - thanks so much for sharing it.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by StartedByAMouse View Post
    A blurb from an article in the Spring 1996 Disney Magazine about the Main Street Electrical Parade "glowing away":

Arthur looks really different there than he did in the other article that Opus posted....

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Arthur looks really different there than he did in the other article that Opus posted....
    It's definately the same man, only toward the end of his life he finally got some needed dental work of done.

Thanks for the Disney News piece StartedByAMouse! I hope to eventually find the nice obit one of the newspapers did when he passed away.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    It's definately the same man, only toward the end of his life he finally got some needed dental work of done.
    Ah, that must be it.

• Former Cast Member

Thanks for sharing this Opus1Guy and Startedbyamouse. I will ALWAYS have fond recollections of Arthur, during my days as a cast member, in the 80's. I ran into him all of the time and he conveyed nothing but a positive and happy demeanor. That is why he was so beloved by the cast members. You know what be really nice, and I know it would never happen and I could see why, is to have a window made for Arthur on Main Street or somewhere in the park. That would, indeed, be a nice tribute to this innocent and charming man. I, am glad I also have a copy of this article saved in a Disneyland book I have at home. I think I also have a small write up on his death in a Disneyland Line too. Thanks again for sharing these fond memories.

PlazaInn1

• Beer is good beer.

Thumbs up Re: Opus Archives: Remembering "Arthur"

What a heartwarming story. Thanks for sharing it!
    M A S E C A !

I loved Arthur. He was a wonderful regular to have around when I worked there.

There were other regulars that weren't quite so nice to have in the park. The Voodoo lady and the prairie family come to mind......

Very creepy people.

Arthur was a gem.

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post

There were other regulars that weren't quite so nice to have in the park. The Voodoo lady and the prairie family come to mind......

Very creepy people.

Arthur was a gem.

HERE HERE!!!

I also remember the "Sailor Captain" gentleman who always sat on the porch facade on Main Street and smoked his pipe. Very strong, but pleasant tobacco. I also remember seeing the prarie family as well. They do not even come close to the likes of Arthur.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post

Very creepy people.

Arthur was a gem.
    Ooooh, my dads friend told me about the prairie family. They came everyday with strange costumes, and the daughters fell in love with cast members, and it got so bad the police were involved.
    Yeah, thats a little creepy.

• Beer is good beer.

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket View Post
    Ooooh, my dads friend told me about the prairie family. They came everyday with strange costumes, and the daughters fell in love with cast members, and it got so bad the police were involved.
    Yeah, thats a little creepy.

Care to share more about the "prairie family?" Sounds entertaining!
    M A S E C A !

Brought a tear to my eye too. Thanks for sharing.

What about that couple that would come to disneyland everyweekend just to dance together?

Quote Originally Posted by jawnjarvis View Post
    What about that couple that would come to disneyland everyweekend just to dance together?
    Depends on which couple you're talking about. And that's who made up "the 3 people" I mentioned in the original post.

First there was the couple known as "The Millers." This was a couple that was dancing there since the earliest days at Disneyland. They both passed away not too long ago. From a report by David Koenig:

Quote Originally Posted by David Koenig
    A friend reports: "At the former Carnation Plaza there is a band every Saturday night and a group of regulars who swing dance. Two of the regulars, Mr. and Mrs. Miller, were well up in years and had reportedly been dancing at Disneyland since Walt used to come and watch. Mrs. Miller died about two years ago. Mr. Miller died in March of this year. Shortly after his death another of the regulars, Rosie, organized a little memorial service for them. There was a display with their picture and the band played their favorite song.
    "Two weeks ago Rosie emptied Mr. Miller's ashes in the pond next to the Castle that borders the Carnation Plaza area. No, I am not kidding, I witnessed this myself. A small group of people participated; they said a prayer and someone took pictures. Supposedly she did the same with Mrs. Miller's ashes when she died."
    Walt took a liking to the mid-western Millers and gave them something better than pass to Disneyland. Walt simply instructed that all Main Gate workers be taught to recognize them on sight, and simply let them in (as later with Arthur). After Walt and when the computerized systems were installed at the Gate...the Millers and Arthur were still the only people allowed to just walk up to the gate, and the Cast Member would say, "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Miller" and open the stroller gate and admit them! No pass needed. Just on sight! (There was a very brief period where they weren't being allowed in, but management came quickly to their senses)

The Millers were the #1 couple at Carnation Plaza Gardens until very recently. No ifs, ands, or buts. But recently with the Millers absence, that top spot (and the Press) now seems to have passed on to another wonderful couple...Rose and Dubby...who have also been dancing there since the early years too. They are real "characters" and look "the part" like a short energetic Italian couple...whereas the Millers always looked very tall, slim and mid-western.

Here's an article on Rose and Dubby:

http://www.pe.com/lifestyles/stories...5.40632d1.html

Last edited by Opus1guy; 03-27-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Awww, what great stories!

• Beer is good beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    First there was the couple known as "The Millers." This was a couple that was dancing there since the earliest days at Disneyland.

The Millers were the #1 couple at Carnation Plaza Gardens until very recently. No ifs, ands, or buts. But recently with the Millers absence, that top spot (and the Press) now seems to have passed on to another wonderful couple...Rose and Dubby...who have also been dancing there since the early years too. They are real "characters" and look "the part" like a short energetic Italian couple...whereas the Millers always looked very tall, slim and mid-western.
    I used to love to watch the Millers. It's sad that they are both gone, but it was even sadder when Mr Miller would come by himself after Mrs Miller passed away.

I live in Chicagoland and only get to visit every few months and each time I foward to seeing Rose and Dubby - hoping that they are still both there.
    M A S E C A !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast