Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Re: Opus Archives: Remembering "Arthur"

That is a wonderful story - thanks for sharing the original newspaper article with all of us.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• Parmageddon Jim

I remember seeing Arthur when I worked as a sweeper in the early 80s. What was amazing, was that Arthur would call you by name if you were in the Park in street clothes and not wearing your nametag!

Thanks for the links, and for the wonderful memories of a very sweet man.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Make it Cool

I seriously miss the "prairie family". They were the creepiest thing ever. Oh, and "Hell on Wheels" (I forget her name, but she was banned for life for ramming people with her ECV.)

Lets see some of the regulars I can recall:
    The 'Voodoo Lady' was a piece of work, tons of makeup, eyelashes about 2-3 inches long, and the big hair, definitely could not miss her.

'Prairie Family' wore clothes similar to the people on the show Little House on the Prairie, hence the nickname. The mom tried to setup one of her daughters with a BTR CM, not gonna happen.

'Teacup Man' would select a particular cup at teacups and spin that thing soooo fast it was amazing. After getting off the ride he would then immediately get back in line and do it again. He would do this a few times.

'Bible Lady' would sit at different locations reading her bible, sometimes aloud, but not too distracting.

Michael Jackson look alike use to hang around captain EO, but I believe was banned when he started signing autographs.

Arthur was great. When I would see him he would always say hi and usually ask if so and so was working.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Eflime View Post
    Lets see some of the regulars I can recall:
    The 'Voodoo Lady' was a piece of work, tons of makeup, eyelashes about 2-3 inches long, and the big hair, definitely could not miss her.

'Prairie Family' wore clothes similar to the people on the show Little House on the Prairie, hence the nickname. The mom tried to setup one of her daughters with a BTR CM, not gonna happen.

'Teacup Man' would select a particular cup at teacups and spin that thing soooo fast it was amazing. After getting off the ride he would then immediately get back in line and do it again. He would do this a few times.

'Bible Lady' would sit at different locations reading her bible, sometimes aloud, but not too distracting.

Michael Jackson look alike use to hang around captain EO, but I believe was banned when he started signing autographs.

Arthur was great. When I would see him he would always say hi and usually ask if so and so was working.
    Sigh, I miss the old days.

And I wasn't even there.

Well...I knew I had it somewhere! From the Opus Archives...Arthur's obituary from the Orange County Register dated June 24, 1992:

And then also just found...a follow-up to the above obit, from a reader, in the same paper, dated July 12, 1992:

Again...such a special man. So sad many of you never got the chance to meet him. Because one thing that's sort of missing from all these reports is that he was equally as nice and helpful to Guests as he was to Cast. Yet he never pushed himself on anyone. You just knew instantly that he wasn't a threat, and that you could trust him with anything.

As the last quote in the obit said...

"Seeing people respond to Arthur's friendliness," she said. "It just made you feel good about people again."

• n/a

Makes me wonder if I ever came across him in my trips as a youngster.

Also, anyone know where I can see a copy of this student film about him?

It would be cool if there was some sort of tribute to these loyal fans in the park. Whether it be in a window, a prop... something.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• "Always On The Move..."

I had aways heard about Arthur, but never had a chance to meet him. Through these posts I feel I was given that opportunity, abit on a small scale. What a wonderful person! And envious of all of you that were fortunate to know him. (Also, think about how magical this is...for someone whose love of Disneyland was unlimited...to be remembered with such love here... in a place for Disneyland fans, and to be remember as a PART of Disneyland. What a beautiful tribute.)

I was fortunate enough to meet the Miller's on several occassions. What an incredible couple. I remember *sighing* outloud that I wish I could "dance like that" I didn't realize how loudly I said it, but next thing I knew both of them were standing on either side of me and I was literally "drug" to the dance floor and they gave me some lessons. (I still treasure that night). Also, I was amazed that they always remembered me when I would show up to watch.

I am so sorry for the losses of all three of these wonderful people. But, I also am grateful that there were there to make the magic even more special.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I remember Arthur. Oh, how well I remember that wonderful, sweet man.

Since I worked "backstage" for all my years there, I didn't usually see him in the park. Sometimes I'd see him coming through the park on my way in or out, and he'd say, "cook some good stuff today, Barry?"

But most of the time, it would be the end of a long, tiring night shift when I'd encounter him, that bag clutched in his hand, greeting everyone leaving by name at the guard shack outside what used to be called Harbor House, as you'd walk to your car in A or B lot. (Remember that?)

Opus, if he always asked you "off today?" For me it was always, work tomorrow? work tomorrow, Barry? And I'd just be picked up by his spirit. I only asked him if he needed a ride a few times, but he had made other arrangements on those times.

What a sweet, sweet man. Someone posted here, something to the effect that it just wouldn't work, to have an Arthur-type around the resort as it is now.

I so dearly hope against hope, that that isn't so.

If it is, how very sad for all of us.

Thanks, Opus, for some wonderful memories.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• DCA lover

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Sigh, I miss the old days.

And I wasn't even there.
    Yeah, me too.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Oh my Gawd...

I haven't thought of him in years; I totally remember Arthur; he was a permanent fixture for all of the Parades (and would usually give the guests a 'play-by-play' of what the Parade was about...

Back in the Ticket Book Days, Cast Members used to take turns signing him into the Park; everyone always watched out for him - and you found yourself LOOKING for him when you were in the Park... ("funny, Arthur is usually here this time of day..." and THERE he'd be!) ... smiling, waving, and greeting every one of the Cast Members by NAME; Disneyland's answer to "Rain Man"

Bless his soul; it lets you know that God may deal you an unpredictable hand, but how you play that hand is up to you...

Great... now you have this Old Evil Queen sitting here crying...
    I so miss the Park back in those days... the Cast was one large extended Family
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 04-21-2007 at 02:27 PM.

• Parmageddon Jim

Aww. Here, you can borrow my sleeve.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

the shift was complete only after saying goodnite to Arthur. what a sweet soul. thank you for the fond memory.

• Eeyore smiling

This is such a wonderful post to be reading. Thanks, once again, to Opus for his extraordinary dillegance on finding the newspaper articles, and then to actually posting them! It all conjurs up a wonderful memory right before our eyes, thank you to all the many cast members who went out of their way to make Arthur (and others) feel so welome in his second home. May he be sitting next to Walt and smiling down on all of us.
    I think Arthur would still be well taken care of in the park today.
    Thanks again to all of you for helping make a heart sing!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast