Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

First Disneyland Trip! Controversial. Fun.

Hi Everyone. I'm typing this from my hotel room after two days long days at Disneyland and DCA. My background: 25, first trip to Disneyworld was when I was 23, Been there four time since including my honeymoon. Wife and I made a quick trip out to the west coast to check out the other Disney parks. Also as background, even though I've only posted a couple times I've been reading all your posts everydays for the past few months....
    Enough about me. Some general thoughts about Disneyland. Disneyland is certainly superior to the Magic Kingdom park for park, but I'm not sure I could honestly reccomend anyone except for a Disney nut, or a completist to pick a vacation to Disneyland over Disneyworld if they lived any distance away where they would have to fly to either location.
    Disneyland Pirates, is easily the crowning jewel of the park. It's tough to describe how profoundly better it is than the Disneyworld version. Indiana Jones is also a spectacular E-ticket. The fireworks show is by far the best I've seen, surpassing illuminations at epcot which was my previous favorite. Space Mountain is excellent, Buzz light year is better than the MK version. Over at DCA Grizzly River Run is amazing, best raft ride probably in the world. Soarin's queue is better than epcots, which isn't saying much for either ride. Monsters Inc., was a great dark ride and better than i thought it would be. California Screamin is an extremely balanced and a very long ride. Dinner at the Vineyard Room was a great meal with great service.
    Now for some not so positive things. The general makeup of the guests at the park was much different than I've seen at Disneyworld and much more like the six flags park we drive to from NY. Lots of teenagers cursing, crazy goth kids, line cutters, and not many people keeping with that overly positive, were in Disney so we should be extra nice to each other, mood. Some of the rides that I've read about being highly rated were a big dissapointment. The Matterhorn should be gutted (ala the space mountain redo) and something like Expedition Everest should go in its place. The track and ride are really terrible. Roger Rabbits cartoon spin should not be considered an e-ticket as most guidebooks rate it. I really enjoyed the bride effects on haunted mansion but it wasn't a considerably different ride than MK's. With all the talk about how superior Haunted Mansion is I expected more. Also the Blue Bayou is just not a good restaurant. Service, food, or even placement of tables on top of each other. One other thought, DCA is supposed to appeal to people that come and visit from other states, but coming from New York we felt we learned more about California driving down Route 5 and Route 1. Its too bad they went with California Adventure as a concept. Even though the park is visually stunning in many areas the concept really does fail the AP crowd as well as the out of state visitor.
    I just wanted to give my thoughts. Feel free to flame me or agree. I've had a great two days and feel honored to visit the happiest place on earth.

• Banned User

Re: First Disneyland Trip! Controversial. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroniq View Post
    Now for some not so positive things. The general makeup of the guests at the park was much different than I've seen at Disneyworld and much more like the six flags park we drive to from NY. Lots of teenagers cursing, crazy goth kids, line cutters, and not many people keeping with that overly positive
    Gotta disagree with you there. As someone who has been to both Six Flags Magic Mountain and Disneyland within a week of each other, people at Six Flags wear considerably less clothes, curse considerably more, and are generally more uncouth than at Disneyland. It doesn't even compare to a Six Flags park.
    The Matterhorn should be gutted (ala the space mountain redo) and something like Expedition Everest should go in its place. The track and ride are really terrible.
    Blasphemer. The Matterhorn is a national treasure. Expedition Everest wouldn't even fit there anyway.

Other than that I'd probably agree with you on everything else.

• Goofy

wow good trip report Im glad you have fun. Yeah try to ignore some of the roudy teenagers out there. Hope you visit again.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Blasphemer. The Matterhorn is a national treasure. Expedition Everest wouldn't even fit there anyway.
    he did say like a space mountain referb, so remove old track and install new track... aren't they already doing that slowly every year when it goes down for its 2 month rehab?

and its a classic, first tubular steel coaster... and its got herald. whom without herald we would have no yeti at ak.

My comments about the makeup of the crowd may be based on the fact that it is spring break and many of the APers are staying away because of the crowds, but it was there i my opinion. What I meant about Matterhorn was leave the outside, gut the inside, possibly with a different a track layout that includes some more serious drops. Also, I realize it is a classic, but it could be heavily plussed.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    he did say like a space mountain referb, so remove old track and install new track... aren't they already doing that slowly every year when it goes down for its 2 month rehab?
    Well yeah, that's always an ongoing process. But I don't support closing down or replacing the ride for at least the next 50 years until it topples over and takes out 50,000 people. I don't want to sit strapped into an Everest train. I want to sit in a bobsled with a flimsy seat belt and be able to stick my head out and bang it on the side of the cave walls in all it's 1959 safety code glory.

• Banned User

...the ride for at least the next 50 years until it topples over and takes out 50,000 people. I don't want to sit strapped into an Everest train. I want to sit in a bobsled with a flimsy seat belt...
    hmm.. I would have imagined it would be picked up by a tornado and fall into paradise bay...

not to mention didn't a bunch of sites say lap bars next rehab were a possibility due to a Dosh request...

• Merry 2014!

It sounds like overall it was a good trip. I have a theory that whichever Disney park you visit first is the one that has your heart. I have talked to a few who had visited both locations and it ended up that they preferred the one they went to first. Maybe that is when the magic is greatest.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    not to mention didn't a bunch of sites say lap bars next rehab were a possibility due to a Dosh request...
    It's always a possibility. I think Disney sites have been saying that for years. It's a pretty easy prediction to make. So I say ride the Matterhorn in all its glory while you still can.

They can never ever build a ride like the Matterhorn again. It's not even an argument. It can't happen due to the way the safety codes are now.

The Matterhorn should be gutted (ala the space mountain redo) and something like Expedition Everest should go in its place. The track and ride are really terrible.
    The Matterhorn may have a terrible track but it's a classic. It's the thing my bros and I competed over to see first from the freeway so that we knew we were in DISNEYLAND!!! I have memories of going on that ride in rain so hard that they had to vacuum the water out of the sleds every go around, it was like Splash Mtn. It's like those cruddy old shows, like Andy Griffith, it may suck to a lot of people but to the true enthusiast it's a piece of timeless treasure, but they should re-do the track. (BTW- we were at the Magical Memories thing, and heard Joe Rodey (sp?) talk about Everest and while it sounds impressive, it just doesn't fit into DL. But then again Kong (Six Flags) IS impressive but I would never put it in DL either.)

Also as an adventurer to every major theme park in California (excluding Legoland :shudder. DL is much more calm than those places because for most DL goers it's a vacation and not a day trip. You are also going at a time for college/school spring break. Watch out! Here we come. They let us out of our cages for a week and expet no trouble, yeah right!

But it sounds like you're having a great trip though... I do agree though that the Matterhorn's track needs to be smoothed a little. (But hey I liked Space better before they smoothed that too. :-(
    The more people I meet the more I like animals. -Unknown

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

The general makeup of the guests at the park was much different than I've seen at Disneyworld and much more like the six flags park we drive to from NY. Lots of teenagers cursing, crazy goth kids, line cutters, and not many people keeping with that overly positive, were in Disney so we should be extra nice to each other, mood.
    As a DL AP holder and a WDW Cast Member I have spent plenty of time in both resorts recently, and I can definitely vouch for this.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by ecdlanddude View Post
    As a DL AP holder and a WDW Cast Member I have spent plenty of time in both resorts recently, and I can definitely vouch for this.

That's definitely one of the downsides of Disneyland being a more "local" park. Nearby kids frequent it enough that they feel a bit TOO at home at Disneyland where they feel that any form of etiquette or manners aren't necessary.

What's even more sad is that Six Flags is FAR worse. At least at Disneyland, I feel that I will not be killed. ... at least not by a guest.

When I was a kid, I felt the same way about the Matterhorn. That the ride is too bumpy and slow. But the more I read up on its history, the more I support it and love it for simply being a landmark of Disneyland. At least in Disneyland, we have other rollercoasters too (big thunder, space mountain, and screamin'). Disney World, for being four parks big, needs more coasters (space, big thunder, rock'n'roller coaster, expedition everest is it).

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Saying to get Rid of The Matterhorn to me is pretty much like saying "Get rid of Sleeping Beauty Castle".

I LOVE the Matterhorn!

100 post w00t

• Minion

Well yeah, that's always an ongoing process. But I don't support closing down or replacing the ride for at least the next 50 years until it topples over and takes out 50,000 people. I don't want to sit strapped into an Everest train. I want to sit in a bobsled with a flimsy seat belt and be able to stick my head out and bang it on the side of the cave walls in all it's 1959 safety code glory.
    You can't fool me. I know you work uindercover for DOSH.

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

I've never been to WDW so I can't compare, but what I can say is that no matter where you go you are going to find nice, compassionate, caring people, as well as rude, obnoxious, and inconsiderate people....
    That being said, perhaps you were just at DL on a day where more of the latter mentioned group of people came out to play???...
    <3 Chloe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast