Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Why did the 4PM 3/24 Alladin show stop? - The unofficial answer

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    I was thinking the exact same thing. When I worked there I came up with a lot of stories to appease guests. It was usually a breakdown due to a technical problem. Since most guests wouldn't know what we were saying if we did tell them what happened we come up with stuff, especially is a guest is badgering us, to make them special by "being in the know." I think that might be what happened here.
    1. I didn't badger anyone - I asked several of the ushers who were standing outside guarding the barricades between 4 and 5:30 as we would walk by. My daughter and her friends were looking for their friends to meet to get in the queue for TOT. We walked by 3 or 4 times - I would ask if the 6PM show was still on and if they knew what had happened to the 4PM show because I didn't want to have to stand in line for 30 minutes and climb all the stairs again only to find that the "technical problems" hadn't been resolved.

2. If the CM did make up the story, he sure did go out of his way to sell it. After talking about other things for about 10 minutes before the show started (I was sitting in the front row aisle seat where he was assigned), I asked if he knew anything about it. He said he did, but to wait for him after the show finished. He went out of his way to find ME.

FWIW, they did have small signs near the parking booths that said something along the lines of "Heightened security today" or something like that.

• Queen of Sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by PSP View Post
    1. I didn't badger anyone - I asked several of the ushers who were standing outside guarding the barricades between 4 and 5:30 as we would walk by. My daughter and her friends were looking for their friends to meet to get in the queue for TOT. We walked by 3 or 4 times - I would ask if the 6PM show was still on and if they knew what had happened to the 4PM show because I didn't want to have to stand in line for 30 minutes and climb all the stairs again only to find that the "technical problems" hadn't been resolved.

2. If the CM did make up the story, he sure did go out of his way to sell it. After talking about other things for about 10 minutes before the show started (I was sitting in the front row aisle seat where he was assigned), I asked if he knew anything about it. He said he did, but to wait for him after the show finished. He went out of his way to find ME.

FWIW, they did have small signs near the parking booths that said something along the lines of "Heightened security today" or something like that.
    Sure thing boss. The heightened security signs have been out on a daily basis since September 11th. It is so you don't get surprised when you have to have your bag checked at the tents.

• Red Wine Lover

First of all, they have had the "heightened security checks" signs up for ages. Second of all, if there really was a bomb threat, a CM would NEVER inform a guest. We are trained to be completely calm and not to share info with guests that might cause panic. That CM could be fired for saying that, why would he risk his job just to let you know what the deal was. Lastly, unless that CM recieved the threatening call themselves, they most likely wouldn't know about it. The person who recieves the call is required to immediately notify security, and then keep their mouth shut. Everything at Disneyland is on a need to know basis, so I find it highly unlikely that a random CM would know about and then divulge to a guest the existence of a threat.

Le Chat Noir

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    Sure thing boss.
    You might find this hard to believe, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. No need to be condescending...

The heightened security signs have been out on a daily basis since September 11th. It is so you don't get surprised when you have to have your bag checked at the tents.
    Sorry - never noticed the signs before.

Quote Originally Posted by LeChatNoir View Post
    Second of all, if there really was a bomb threat, a CM would NEVER inform a guest. We are trained to be completely calm and not to share info with guests that might cause panic. That CM could be fired for saying that, why would he risk his job just to let you know what the deal was. Lastly, unless that CM recieved the threatening call themselves, they most likely wouldn't know about it. The person who recieves the call is required to immediately notify security, and then keep their mouth shut. Everything at Disneyland is on a need to know basis, so I find it highly unlikely that a random CM would know about and then divulge to a guest the existence of a threat.
    So what you're saying is that I made it up?

A CM would "NEVER inform a guest"? Even if it was about to explode?

Induce panic? 3 hours after the incident?

Just for the record, there is a difference between "completely calm" and comatose.

Thank you for sharing your vast work experience with us. It's nice to know I'm being demeaned by 24 year old minimum wage employee.

• Red Wine Lover

So quick to judge...
    What I'm saying is that the CM made it up. They probably got annoyed with people asking what was going on and made up some BS story to appease you. As for the minimum wage comment, you have no idea what I do at Disneyland. Not all CMs are paid minimum wage, and I have a special job that pays way more than minimum wage. I choose not to reveal what it is because Disney reads these boards and I would lose my wonderful job if I did. It is called valuing the magic. You are very defensive about this, I was simply stating how Disney employees are trained to handle such situations.
    So, yeah, chill out, don't be so high and mighty.
    Last edited by LeChatNoir; 03-25-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Le Chat Noir

• Queen of Sarcasm

You might find this hard to believe, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. No need to be condescending...

Sorry - never noticed the signs before.
    Not being condescending about anything at all. I use the word boss in a joking manner but didn't insert a smiling face because I thought the joke was apparent. Next time I will remember to use the smiley.

• Red Wine Lover

Also, PSP, so what if I was 24 year old minimum wage employee? (which I am not) What gives you the right to demean someone for this? Is it wrong to work for minimum wage, if you are doing what you love? The fact is, I work at DL because I love it, and I happen to be one of the lucky people that hold a very coveted position. If I didn't have the job I do now, I would still work there. Hell, I'd be loading people like you onto Haunted Mansion before I went back to my old job as a makeup artist. I made 20 plus dollars an hour at that job, but I hated it. DL pays me slightly less and I love working there. Don't EVER act like you are better than someone because their age and income, that is just ignorant.

Le Chat Noir

Quote Originally Posted by LeChatNoir View Post
    Don't EVER act like you are better than someone because their age and income, that is just ignorant.
    First, I'd like to apologize for the inappropriate comments concerning your age and income.

I went back and reread your posts. Judging by what you posted, there are really only 2 options left. Either:

a) I made all of this up, or
    b) The CM made it up and I am a fool for believing it.

Let's start with the second alternative first. If, as you say, the CM would get fired for telling me this in truth, wouldn't he also get fired for telling me this as a story? Why would he make up a story like that when he could just stick with the technical difficulties story and not risk anything?

Now, if you assume he made it up, that means that I was duped by this CM. The implication is that the need to be "in the know" caused me to "badger" the CMs mercilessly until one of them made up a story to appease me. I'll admit to being curious, but I never badgered anyone. I don't even know anyone who would care if I was "in the know" - especially about something like this.

While it's not correct to judge people solely on age, I hope you'd be willing to admit that life experiences do indeed give people a better frame of reference - and that the more life experiences you have, generally the better you are able to analyze the intentions of other people. I'm not 24 - I'm 55 years old, and CEO of 2 technology corporations. I grew up in the entertainment industry in Malibu in the 50s and 60s, graduated from UC Berkeley in the early 70s, etc. so I've been exposed to a very wide range of individuals.

I'd like to think that I have a pretty good judge of when something doesn't sound right. I know I'm a much better judge than I was at 24 - of course, I thought I was a good judge at 24 too.

The other option is that I made up this whole story - why? Trying to gain the acceptance and admiration of everyone here?

Yeah, right...

I came in here last night to report a situation that IMO was out of the normal realm of activity at DLR. You can choose to believe it or reject it - I don't really care. I would just appreciate it if you didn't act like you're somehow superior because you happen to work for Disney and that you would stop characterizing me as either a liar or a rube.

• Red Wine Lover

I've mulled it over and decided on a single theory for the event- the CM in question probably heard through the grapevine that one of the reasons for the evac could potentially be a bomb threat. Perhaps he decided to take this as truth. Maybe he was asleep/not paying attention to the section of Traditions training that addresses how to handle these situations and saw no problem with informing you of the potential threat. Disney does hire a lot of questionable people, which would lead to questionable decisions being made. I don't think you are a liar or a rube, nor do I think my age is relevant in the judging of this situation. It is relevant other times, but not now. I'm just using my knowledge of Disney procedure, since I work there. That doesn't make me superior to you, but it does, in this specific situation, make me slightly more informed. Apology accepted for the age/income comments, those were prety nasty. It was good of you to retract them.

Le Chat Noir

wow thats crazy. i have no idea why the hyperion would be a thought but it was probably some kids or something like ben stiller in meet the parents. anyways lets keep the thread topic related : )
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Re: Why did the 4PM 3/24 Aladdin show stop? - The unofficial answer

I went back for the 6PM show. All went fine - excellent ad lib performance by the genie.
    I was at the 6pm show on 3/24 and can attest that it was an excellent performance. There were several cheerleader groups in the audience and they had a lot of energy, even getting "the wave" going inside the Hyperion before the show started. They also appreciated the pop culture references quite a bit.

I took my new Canon Digital Rebel for a spin and was generally happy with the results.

Come to think of it, I'll start a separate thread with my DCA pics from 3/24 in order to keep this one on topic. It was my first time at the parks with the new camera and I want to share some of the photos.

• Can see my car from here

Re: Why did the 4PM 3/24 Aladdin show stop? - The unofficial answer

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    A Whole New World! Is this from the Aladdin show in Las Vegas or Disneyland? Your pictures came out great, very exciting! I didn't know the Disneyland version was so, um, "colorful." Now I really want to see this show!

As Borat would say, "Very niiiiiiiiccce! High Five!"

I'm sure we will see this in someone's avatar very soon...
    Far from the frenzy of the frantic world above.

Somebody set them up the bomb!
    (I got signal)

(bonus points for identifying the reference)

• Shubisha

you cannot frickin give bonus points for somebody recognizing all your base :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast