Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why did the 4PM 3/24 Aladdin show stop? - The unofficial answer

The 4PM Aladdin show was abruptly stopped after only 2 or 3 minutes on 3/24. On came the lights and the voice over the PA system said that it was necessary to "evacuate" the theater immediately. The CM ushers said it was some kind of a mechanical breakdown or technical difficulty, but the verbage in the announcement seemed different than the normal "remain in your seat..." or "due to a technical problem, we are forced to cancel...".

I went back for the 6PM show. All went fine - excellent ad lib performance by the genie.

After asking 4 or 5 CM ushers if they knew what the problem had been, one pulled me aside after the performance and told me confidentially that there had been a bomb threat that necessitated the evacuation.

How unusual is this? - or does it happen all the time, but we never hear about it...
    Last edited by PSP; 03-25-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling error

• Banned User

Re: Why did the 4PM 3/24 Alladin show stop? - The unofficial answer

A bored person on a Saturday afternoon can ruin things for a lot of people. I think that's the simplest and most likely explanation.

In this post-9/11 world you can't really do anything but take bomb threats seriously, no matter how stupid and incapable the person making them is.

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

sad times
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Oh my goodness.

I have worked in Proferssional Theatre for years and if this is what actually happened, I would be extreamly shocked.

First, most professional, ALL professional stage managers would not use the term "Evacuate", but use alternative verbiage. He would then use a code word heard by the users and house manager explaining the reason for the evacuation. For example, he would start the interuption with a phrase or a saying that would be innocent to the audeince but obvious to the house manager and ushers. The last theatre I worked in used Looney Tunes Characters. For instance: Bugs Bunny = Bomb Threat. The only other one I remember is tornado, which was "Tazanian Devil" and the house workers were trained to close all exits and windows.

I would be extreamly shocked to hear that they would use thr term 'evaucate' and more that they would then later admit a bomb threat but I guess in a post 9-11 world, maybe its the case.

Cheers all. And have a great "Daffy Duck", I mean day.

Disney Road

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny View Post
    The only other one I remember is tornado, which was "Tazanian Devil" and the house workers were trained to close all exits and windows.
    Oh man, that wouldn't be a good day at all to see a play.

• Shubisha

Evacuate isn't unusual for disney. They will evacuate a ride, etc... saying we need to evacuate the theater is a lot more disney than telling people they need to exit immediately because it's the difference between 'we need to get out of the building' and 'get out', but it maintains the sense of importance that another word simply wouldn't. I mean, if a bomb did go off it wouldn't be very good if it were reported the audience was told the show was cancelled for technical reasons and to please make their way to the exits instead of telling them to evacuate immediately. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny View Post
    I would be extreamly shocked to hear that they would use thr term 'evaucate' and more that they would then later admit a bomb threat but I guess in a post 9-11 world, maybe its the case.
    They definitely used the word "evacuate", but few realized the gravity at the time.

None of the management type people would say anything to the patrons other than "technical difficulties". I was told about the bomb threat by a CM "in the know" who had no reason to lie - but not on the record

Perhaps someone just phoned in a critical appraisal of the show, and it got misinterpreted?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Perhaps someone just phoned in a critical appraisal of the show, and it got misinterpreted?

The aladin show is.*static* da bomb...

i doubt it, but bomb threat is possible...

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I bet you it was those teenagers who were throwing coins and spitting at the people in CA Screamin'. lol

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

In the past, once they evacuated the Hyperion due to a Fire Alarm, it ended up being overcooked popcorn in the microwave backstage.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    In the past, once they evacuated the Hyperion due to a Fire Alarm, it ended up being overcooked popcorn in the microwave backstage.....
    That happened to me in the third grade. Whole school was evacuated and the fire department called over burnt popcorn.

• no flash photography...

maybe it was just a bored CM saying anything to appease a guest??...I have been told many odd things by CM's. I don't take everything they say seriously.

• Rookie

I've been acting in local plays since 1989 and directing local plays since 2000. We've never had to evacuate, thankfully, though one time I was in an outdoor play, and had the pleasure of a warm gentle summer rain beginning to fall EXACTLY as my character died. Wonderful effect.

But I am reminded for some reason of the following story. Figured I'd share...

One of the two main venues hereabouts is the Ritz Theatre across the river, which is a converted movie-house that has been lovingly renovated and turned into a stage by knocking down walls into adjoining buildings.

I've appeared on the Ritz stage many times, and one of the quaint things about it is that it's close enough to a railroad track that you will occasionally hear a train whistle. The actors who are experienced with this phenomenon have become adept at incorporating it into the moment with subtle ad libs.

In 1998, I was appearing in a tongue-in-cheek melodrama show on that stage which, fittingly enough, was called "Love Rides the Rails, or will the Main Train Run Tonight?" We had pre-recorded train whistle sound effects for several key scenes, and yet we still had to deal with the occasional REAL train whistle at random moments.

As a result, no two shows were the same. Well, I have NO recollection of making this one particular ad lib, but I am told later that when a violent car crash noise from the street outside occurred on Friday night, I didn't miss a beat and incorporated it into my existing speech, adding something like "and that's another good reason never to be late when you go to the theatre."

When the show was over, I couldn't figure out where my family was. My cousin from Texas was in town, and I'd seen him in the audience with his wife, and my Mother, sister, etc. But no one came backstage, I couldn't find them outside.

Turns out, that car crash was my Dad. He dropped them off out front, and went around the corner to park. As he turned left, a woman failed to stop at the intersection, and hit him in the left front tire. He was fine, aside from a sprained thumb where the impact on the axle spun the sterring wheel rapidly in the other direction, and a temporary cough from inhaling the dust that's packed in with the air bag. The car was repaired easily enough.

But I always felt bad that I got a laugh out of that.

Lex

• Queen of Sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    maybe it was just a bored CM saying anything to appease a guest??...I have been told many odd things by CM's. I don't take everything they say seriously.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. When I worked there I came up with a lot of stories to appease guests. It was usually a breakdown due to a technical problem. Since most guests wouldn't know what we were saying if we did tell them what happened we come up with stuff, especially is a guest is badgering us, to make them special by "being in the know." I think that might be what happened here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast