Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Footbridges for the Disneyland Area

I think a footbridge of sorts is a good idea. I see it used at South Coast Plaza in two sections. From the MAIN Plaza to Crystal Court area and then from South Coast Plaza to the area where the Westin is....

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    You don't have to go to Vegas to see a footbridge going across a major street. Head south on Harbor, about 8-10 miles, go left on MacArthur Blvd., then go right on Bear St. for about 1 or 2 miles. There is a foot bridge that connects South Coast Plaza directly to Crystal Court (now also named South Coast Plaza). You can take a look at that without having to travel over 350 miles.
    I haven't been to South Coast Plaza in several years it must have gotten bigger, though I heard about a new section, I didn't realize it was divided by a street, with a footbridge. I looked at a photo and am surprised...

From the looks of it is fairly big

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood View Post
    I haven't been to South Coast Plaza in several years it must have gotten bigger, though I heard about a new section, I didn't realize it was divided by a street, with a footbridge. I looked at a photo and am surprised...

From the looks of it is fairly big
    That photo makes it look really wide. The walkway is wide enough for about 5 or 6 people (obviously the the right side peolpe walk one way, the other side they walk the other way). But it is fairly long because it crosses over the street and then stretches all the way across the SCP parking lot to where Macy's (formerly Bullock's) is.

• Banned User

What is the Anaheim Gardenwalk?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    It's a new 'shopping' venue, I believe, that is opposite Disneyland, bordering Katella and Clementine St, I believe.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Hehe you're way out of the loop NC

http://www.anaheimgardenwalk.com/

It will be a major mall and hotel complex. This, the convention centre plus Disney's future third gate will (IMO) necessitate a major rethink of the pedestrian connections between the areas. Whether that be footbridges alone or some kind of people movers is yet to be seen.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Rock Star Minion

The Glendale Galleria has a "foot bridge," too. It's part of the mall, with tiny stores, but it crosses over Central Blvd and connects the older part of the mall to the Nordstrom's. AND, to get to the Mervyn's, there is another "foot bridge" over Orange Street!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Now is the GardenWalk supposed to be a retailer's answer to Downtown Disney?, a so called move away from the traditional mall to "lifestyle center" (which is what the new Otay Ranch Town Centre in San Diego County is considered) with restaurants and some shops...

My question is where are all the people going to park, because not all people will be able to walk from hotels, and locals (though they probably avoid the area as much as possible because of traffic), a new mall would necessitate a large parking lot of transportation.

Has Disney ever considered the idea of another parking garage?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Now is the GardenWalk supposed to be a retailer's answer to Downtown Disney?, a so called move away from the traditional mall to "lifestyle center" (which is what the new Otay Ranch Town Centre in San Diego County is considered) with restaurants and some shops...

My question is where are all the people going to park, because not all people will be able to walk from hotels, and locals (though they probably avoid the area as much as possible because of traffic), a new mall would necessitate a large parking lot of transportation.

I haven't been to Otay Ranch Town Centre, but I am assuming a "lifestyle center" is similar to, in Orange County, the Irvine Spectrum Center, The Block, Bella Terra, or Downtown Disney. If you are familiar with any of those (Downtown Disney is a somewhat watered down version) then yes, that is what Garden Walk is going to be.

If I recall, Disney was originally oposed to Garden Walk, but now they are supportive of it. Even although they do not own it, maybe they think of it as a tie-in to the third park? Just speculation on my own part...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    The cost is the main issue.....who exactly is going to pay for this and still profit....Vegas, at least has no monetary problem and the bridges do pay for themselves eventually. Here in Anaheim....DL is not going to pay for a easy way for people to cross the street, neither is the Convention Center.

Love the idea, but just won't work here.
    Won't work because it will raise taxes? So much for progress.
    The Foot bridges would relieve a lot of traffic issues. The Main cross walk at Harbor would be a great and much needed change for the buses and shuttles and the guests crossing. Not to mention SAFER and easier for the guest(s).
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Minion

I don't think a bridge is necessary considering the fact that the bulk of it's use will be between 8am and 10am and the again at park closing. In Las Vegas, the strip is open and busy 24 hours a day, seven days a week so a bridge does get plenty of use. Imagine the type of use a bridge across Harbor would get on a weekday in the fall. I just don't think it's necessary.

• Still wants to be a cat!

So who will pay those taxes.....Residents of Anaheim or Orange County or maybe even the State of California? We could always up the Bed Tax for tourists of course (and rental cars), but that is really quite high as it is and if raised again could discourage visitors to our area.

The traffic is not really a problem, I drive Katella, Harbor and Ball Rd all the time with no major back ups or delays.

The pedestrians are safe if they follow the traffic signs at intersections also. It would be a wonderful convienence for the guests, but it would be a tremendous expense with no overall effect.

There is just no comparison with the Vegas Strip (which traffic couldn't even more at any given time of day) and the Disneyland Resort area.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Dreaming of Disney World

I just went to the Garden Walk website and it looks cool. Does anyone know where this is going to be located.
    Look for me on Facebook: Tyler Keith Lee Tew

For all Disney News when it happens, follow DisneyverseNews at www.twitter.com/DisneyverseNews

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    I don't think a bridge is necessary considering the fact that the bulk of it's use will be between 8am and 10am and the again at park closing. In Las Vegas, the strip is open and busy 24 hours a day, seven days a week so a bridge does get plenty of use. Imagine the type of use a bridge across Harbor would get on a weekday in the fall. I just don't think it's necessary.
    But even though Las Vegas is open 24 hours day, doesn't mean that the bridges are used all day. And the way that Las Vegas is set up is way different than Anaheim. Look at this way, thousands of people are in Anaheim everyday, with even more May-September, November-January, and every weekend. People don't just go to Disneyland between 8-10 and park closing. Some line up early, some arrive in the afternoon, some leave early, some stay late. The point is, while Las Vegas has the evidence for 24/7 access with bridges, they also have more money, alliances, and space to build bridges, bus systems, connected hotels, and monorails, where as a few bridges for Harbor Blvd where thousands cross in a more compacted area

They sure have. Here's just one time in the past they have considered additional parking garages. See the number "10"s on the right below (which were the reasons for the Harbor side then-planned Peoplemovers/elevated moving sidewalks):

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast