Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Footbridges for the Disneyland Area

Opie, I see that there is a patch of DL north of the Big Thunder Ranch that looks like an expansion beyond the berm. Any hidden info on that?

And the northern #10 of the two on the right: there are a couple of buildings over there now. What are in those buildings, and are they Disney-owned, and how fast can they be vacated and demolished?
    Here is the googlemap:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...m=1&iwloc=addr
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Sounds good to me.
    The daydream princess

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Opie, I see that there is a patch of DL north of the Big Thunder Ranch that looks like an expansion beyond the berm. Any hidden info on that?
    That was earmarked as on-stage expansion. What was exactly being considered at the time of that particular land plan...I can't recall. Might have been Discoveryland...but I don't recall.

One thing I do recall though was that Frank Wells really wanted to move a lot of current backstage facilities and services to other remote locations off property, where feasible...in order to free up more backstage land for onstage Disneyland Park expansion. What you see there was just the first such onstage expansion. I think the second phase had onstage breaking out of Critter Country at its North end, and connecting up with that square plot you see in that map.

Every time I look at those old Westcot plans, I think of how tremendously short-changed we got with California Adventure and what actually got built (or didn't get built) around it.

• Rock Star Minion

Thanks for the info (I'm not quoting it here).

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Every time I look at those old Westcot plans, I think of how tremendously short-changed we got with California Adventure and what actually got built (or didn't get built) around it.
    Totally. Dude.
    Every time I look at the Googlemap overhead shot of DCA and GCH, I get bummed out at how much The GCH juts into what could have been more DCA. Are there parking signs placed hidden in some of the hotel rooms, by Imagineers?
    Not that the major issue (the theme) would have been solved, but still.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Thanks for the info (I'm not quoting it here).

Totally. Dude.
    Every time I look at the Googlemap overhead shot of DCA and GCH, I get bummed out at how much The GCH juts into what could have been more DCA. Are there parking signs placed hidden in some of the hotel rooms, by Imagineers?
    Not that the major issue (the theme) would have been solved, but still.
    I kind of feel the same way, but differently. I wish they would have built DCA more around this hotel. I see the hotel as a timeless piece of actual California history and style, but lost within DCA, had they built the area around it less as the extreme sports and more of the classic craftsman and John Muir ideals, it would be more like Hotel Mira Costa at TDS, then it wouldn't appear to just "jut" out into DCA but be a part of DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    They sure have. Here's just one time in the past they have considered additional parking garages. See the number "10"s on the right below (which were the reasons for the Harbor side then-planned Peoplemovers/elevated moving sidewalks):

How is that when they built this park, they were able to use all available land they could, but for DCA they scrimped and cut all the corners...Well maybe Disneyland concert bowl would have been a bit out of place, but everything else make it seem so well complete. And now with a sliver of car park, a puddle of a theme park, and quarter of an outdoor mall... I just don't know.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood View Post
    I kind of feel the same way, but differently. I wish they would have built DCA more around this hotel. I see the hotel as a timeless piece of actual California history and style, but lost within DCA, had they built the area around it less as the extreme sports and more of the classic craftsman and John Muir ideals, it would be more like Hotel Mira Costa at TDS, then it wouldn't appear to just "jut" out into DCA but be a part of DCA.
    Well, the California "theme" has been proven a dud. Certainly wasn't the best idea possible, since this one existed before.
    And on the left, there are three hotels. One where half the current parking lot is.

Something else I just noticed: the monorail track circles the #7 in the middle of Wescot, it travels to the southwestly hotel near the #6, travels north to the hotel near the #1, travels north to the hotel near the #9, and THEN returns to Tomorrowland.
    Wow! Combined with the Peoplemovers to the parking lots and that's quite a transportation system! Contrast that with smelly trams we have. Um, wow.

Found another column with a Westcot map with info:
    http://www.mickeynews.com/Columns/Di...asp_Q_id_E_532
    Last edited by sediment; 03-26-2007 at 06:17 PM.

• Ignore the meager number

I think it would be great to do this. It would set a good precedent, especially given the impending third gate. The structures would not have to be to the same scale or style of Vegas. Elevators for wheelchair access would probably be better than moving sidewalk, much smaller footprint and fewer people with the use of their legs would be lazy and hop on. Also I hear those things have a hard time as far as maintenance/up-keep.
    Yo ho!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123