•   
    • Senior Minion

A good book on the history of Disneyland?

Could you folks recommend a good book on the history of Disneyland? Would love to learn more about its construction and planning. Not looking for a biography of Walt Disney (been there, done that). Thanks!

• Lowering Expectations

Re: A good book on the history of Disneyland?

I'm a huge fan of The Nickel Tour. Its focus isn't necessarily on the initial construction and planning of Disneyland, although it does cover that too. But it takes a look at postcards through the years and talks about all the developments and attractions added to the park along the way. I have no better account of Frontierland's Mineral Hall or Casa de Fritos, nor of Tomorrowland's Art Corner or Phantom Boats, Flying Saucers, Hall of Chemistry (the list goes on and on!) than from inside the Nickel Tour. And it doesn't read like a textbook at all; it's a friendly, entertaining read.

• Embrace the kitsch!

"Disneyland: Inside Story" by Randy Bright, 1987. Hard to find (check used bookstores) and pricy (over $100) but worth it. Covers park history from 1954-1987.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

I'm going to say Inside Story.

• Minion

The best are "Disneyland: Inside Story" and "Disneyland: The Nickel Tour" - - also "Disneyland: The First Quarter Century" and "Mouse Tales."

I recently picked up "Disneyland: Now, Then, and Forever" and have really enjoyed it.

I particularily like the way they start with what is there now and then have the "What was there before..." sections (3 or 4 layers of 'what was there' for some attractions).

Skawt

• Beer is good beer.

Thumbs up Re: A good book on the history of Disneyland?

My favorite book on the building of Disneyland is "The Window on Main Street" by Van Arsdale France. It's a wonderful first-hand account by someone who genuinely loved Disneyland.

Unfortunately, it's out of print. Once in a while a copy will show up on eBay.
    M A S E C A !

• Disney Starved in AZ

I second the Nickel Tour! Excellent book...

If you are in the Anaheim area, Compass books at the far end of DtD has a section of books on Disneyland. Some are must have's, some aren't! I've also checked with my local public library... did a word/subject search for Disneyland and I was surprised what I found... that way you can totally check out books before you invest! And, Off the Page in DCA has a good selection of odd ball books, like I got a Walt quotes book there last year - and they had a cool history type one that I didn't get that was like $45.00 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    The best are "Disneyland: Inside Story" and "Disneyland: The Nickel Tour" - - also "Disneyland: The First Quarter Century" and "Mouse Tales."
    I'm amazed to see "Mouse Tales" in the same sentence as the other books. While the Mouse Tales series is an amusing read, a lot of the stuff in there is "friend of a friend of a friend" type of anecdotes. And we all know how accurate those can be.
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

Quote Originally Posted by Berd View Post
    My favorite book on the building of Disneyland is "The Window on Main Street" by Van Arsdale France. It's a wonderful first-hand account by someone who genuinely loved Disneyland.

Unfortunately, it's out of print. Once in a while a copy will show up on eBay.
    I strongly recommend this book as well. It's a honest and unique history of the building of Disneyland as told by a drinking, chain-smoking member of the Class of '55.

Check out Van's window the next time you're in DL. In above what used to be the tobacco shop. (Very appropriately placed.)
    Last edited by brassplayer; 03-26-2007 at 03:02 PM.
    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records