Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Helmsdad

Splash Mountain Remake? Disney Could "Unlock" SOTS!

I hope this is not out of place. Some of you may have already seen this but I thought it was interesting it mentions Carols question at the meeting.

115,000 people have signed the petition...

"Iger was answering a shareholder's inquiry about the movie for the second year in a row at Disney's annual meeting in New Orleans. This month the Disney chief made a rerelease sound more possible..."

"hxxp://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-disneysouth032407%2C0%2C1174004.story?coll=orl-dp-classifieds&track=mostemailedlink"

I think Splash Mountain makes it relative to the DL thread. Do you think with a "re-release" they could PLUS the ride?

Did I just say that?

• It's all nonsense

Re: Splash Mountain Remake? Disney Could "Unlock" SOTS!

They could at very least just release the cartoon parts. So then kids can better know the story of Brer Rabbit.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Part of me wants to say that it's time to look at this film in its historical context and own up to our own history, but the other part knows that I'M not the one who is going to be personally offended, so easy for me to say. I really like what the prof. says in that article about it - I don't think these issues will begin to go away until we fully own up to our own history instead of hiding it away and pretending it never happened.

edit: Am I discussing race relations on MiceChat? Crazy!
    Last edited by RumRunner31; 03-26-2007 at 06:48 AM. Reason: added post script

• Helmsdad

The link was a headline in today's paper.

I just think it's interesting that all the "buzz" is that they ARE going to release it. It would do justice at least to the movie with all the poor quality copies floating around out there. I'm sure they would RE-MASTER the soundtrack too giving us a chance to hear it as never before.

I know this news has been covered extensivley here. It looks as if it might be going to happen for sure now though. One question on everybody's mind is HOW they will release it. Someone suggested that Leonard Maltin should "introduce" it on a Treasures DVD. I think this makes the best sense as he would be best at explaining the history and the "new" history (and people) that ushered it off to "never, never land" in the first place. As far as the last poster is concerned about race relations. I happen to agree with the Professor that it should be viewed in it's "historical" context. History cannot be changed, it is what it is. As one very famous and intellegent person once said: "You can't take a "vote" on the truth."

I think we need to be sensitive to all people. That's why I think Mr. Maltin would be best at introducing the release. Is someone going to be offended? That's like asking if the sky is blue. Let's just take a look at some recent "offendings."

Aladdin: Some Arabs groups claimed offense and demanded changes and an apology from Disney.

Peter Pan: What makes the Red Man Red? And "we are going to fight the Indians, the Indians, the Indians etc. The problem is when the story was written Europeans were actually AT WAR with the Indians. And when the Europeans came to this continent they also went to WAR with the Indians. It's just history. None of us living have ever fought in the Indian wars.

Bednobs and Broomsticks: One of the most underrated Disney Movies.

Mulan: Was anybody offended? I never heard anything.

Pirates: I guess the National Organization for (some) Women were offended because the women were being chased by Pirates. Go figure, Pirates chasing women. Like that never happened. To this day I have been unable to figure that one out.

Happiest Millionaire: Very offensive to Irish immigrants. Portray's us as drunks who will use any excuse to drink. (Hiccup). "Let's have a drink on it now". One of my FAVORITE songs by the way. AND MUSICALS!! I guess I am saddened by my drunken ancestors though. I'm going to go make a vodka martini RIGHT NOW just so I can remember them properly.

The One And Only Family Band: Offensive to politicians period. Hahaha

Daniel Boone: Don't get me started! Poor bears.
    Donald Duck Cartoons from the '40's: 'nuf said.

Is there anything offensive to Italians by the way? I am 1/2 Italian (1/2 Irish) and I am beginning to get offended that Disney has not offended us Italians! Don't they consider us worth offending like everybody else? Now that's something that could be seriously considered offensive in my viewpoint. JK. Ah Ha! Maybe Lady and the Tramp. Like all we eat is spagettii! This is the night...

Alice in Wonderland: Very offensive to stoner caterpillars. I'm not going to say anything more (cough) about (cough, cough) it (cough).

Fox and the Hound: Very offensive to Ted Nugent type hunter types and their respective hound dogs.

The Sword and The Stone: I think it kind of portrays medieval types as being large, gluttonish and not super bright at the very least.

Cars: Don't get me started. Poor Mater.
    Monsters Inc.: Tell me Mr. Waternoose doesn't represent the average CEO today (except you Mr. Iger by the way).

This is getting silly. Anybody have other ideas? This could really go on.

Aristocrats, Country Bears, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Toy Story, Nemo, 101 dalmations, Hercules, Tarzan, The Hunchback, Pocohantas...

Sometimes I'm offended at not being offended. I wonder, Could someone be offended because someone else is offended? Wow, I hear my brain sizzling. I think I'll go join that (cough) catapiller (cough).

tongue in cheek
    Last edited by sixwoofys; 03-26-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Did I just say that?

Quote Originally Posted by sixwoofys View Post
    I think Splash Mountain makes it relative to the DL thread. Do you think with a "re-release" they could PLUS the ride?
    "Plus" it how exactly? Turn the honey the rabbit gets caught in into the black tar that the movie and fable actually used?

I doubt they'll do a thing to the log ride, as it is very loosely based on the movie. And the changes they made to the ride were done on purpose to avoid the racial overtones, such as turning the tar baby reference into getting stuck in honey. And there are no human AA's in Splash Mountain, only animal AA's who aren't saddled with being one particular race or another.

• Minion

This is a very difficult subject to decide on but I agree with sixwoofys that Disney has made controversial movies. I think Disney should give SOTS a trial run and see how America reacts to it. There can always be a recall.
    The daydream princess

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I don't think a release of the film would affect the attraction at all. The bees are part of the musical score...and it works very well, IMO. I prefer that as a plot device in the story as compared to icky tar. The bees and honey make the scene much more lively and fun, even if it does impend doom.

The film needs to be released, though. No matter what anyone does, someone is going to be unhappy or offended. It is human and cultural nature. That doesn't make certain things right, but we have to accept the fact that certain things were a part of history. It's like saying that Germany should pretend that WWII never happened. Give me a break. It's part of our history and is IMPORTANT to learn about and understand...because if we don't and simply ignore it, the same mistakes will be repeated over and over again...and I don't think that anyone wants that.

The only problem with the movie is at the start with the live action acts. The rest is just a tale told by a guy. I got my UK copy of the movie and only the start of the film is bad.

• Basking in birthday love

What ends up getting lost in all the hullabaloo about whether the movie's racist (it should be noted that the NAACP currently has no stance on the film) is that James Baskett was the first African-American actor hired by Disney, and won an honorary Academy Award for his work in Song of the South, the first Black man to receive an Oscar. Sad, really.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Mulan: Was anybody offended? I never heard anything.
    Actually the Chinese audience did have SOME things to say, but it wasn't to the point where they "demanded an apology". They simply felt that Disney was not accurate in the actual story and legend of Mulan.

About Song of the South, though: I think todays society would be much more tolerant. They even mention in the article about Gone with the Wind which also portrays plantation properties and the people that work on them, and you can find this movie in your local video store, and nobody cares. I've actually viewed the film and do not find the movie at all racist. I really hope they rerelease it.

• Hey it's that guy I am.

Here is a subject that gets my blood going. I have heard all sorts of things about why it isn't released. One of them is how it portrays black people, that's right not even going to say African american. Well from what I have heard and seen of the movie it shows a man that is ok with where he is working. Simplified, yes. Does the movie show him being beat, treated badly, abused? If so please let me know, but its my understanding that the problem is that it shows a man fine with working for a plantation.

Also about how it portrays the language they use as racist or however it is put. Come on! Has anyone heard a lot of people speak lately!? No matter what color it is people speak wierd all over. The most powerful man in the world speaks like an idiot and he makes over 200,000 dollars a year.

As for SOTS being a bad example of how blacks are portrayed and being tame. Has anyone seen how a lot of movies now-a-days portray black people? It's down right horrific! But I could go to blockbuster right now and rent a movie that shows a black male being a drug dealer and a thief and a liar without any problem. But I can't rent Song of the South, what's wrong with that picture?

I'm sorry but a film made in the forties about the south in the 1800's should be the least contraversial thing on anyone's agenda for equality and image.

I am also sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention to. It's just if people are going to slam this movie for poorly portraying black people then go the whole nine yards and attack movies that really portray a bad image. I await the response.

• Banned User

I ain't never seem dat film! I sho' hope dey get to releasin' it! We's a gonna sho' you how blacks loved workin' for massa and tellin' dem ol' stories!

Haha I can't wait to sit back and watch the s' fly when this thing is released. I think the only reason he said they'll consider it so that guy stops asking such stupid questions at the shareholder meeting.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

"That damn rabbit still gets all my face-time. I demand a refurb. Replaced with 'Honey'?! Discrimination, I tells ya. I'm a-goin' on 'Springer'"

• Grim Grinning Ghost

All they need to do is have a disclaimer in the beginning expressing that "this film is in no way trying to be racist, single out certain people, is historically acurate, etc." and that is intended for entertainment purposes only.
    It also really gets me going that the first black actor hired by Disney and an academy award winner cant even get the reconigition that he deserves because their afraid people will take it too seriously. It's a movie, made for entertainment, not a documentary people. I happen to own a copy of this movie and think its a great movie, but ya I can see little tidbits here and there that are not completely politically correct but no more so then gone with the wind as Innerspace said. Sorry for the rant just had to get that off my chest

• Another part of me

I actually seen the re-release in 1986, and I loved it. The movie is from a different time and a classic all the same. As you seen, I am a black woman, and I would not be offended to have it released on DVD. As a matter of fact, I have been trying to get an unedited copy of it that does not have subtitles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast