Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    386

    I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    I found the following post in a different thread slightly amusing considering all of the recent fierce debate about the insufficient pay of attractions CM's, their incredible skill levels, the difficulty of the job, the discussion over amusement park "trade schools", etc. in several other posts.

    Again, nothing against this poster (seems like a very nice kid and I am sure he will be a great CM) but I don't think you can make a better argument than the true story of a high-schooler with zero experience walking in and walking out as an attractions CM - now, remind me why they should make above minimum wage again? (That was sarcasm, honestly you don't need to repost all of the reasons again).

    Here is the post, enjoy:

    As I near the end of my high school years, I finally decided it was time for me to get a job, especially because I need to pay for the Disneyworld trip I'll be taking this summer, so I decided to try to get a job at the place I love the most, DISNEYLAND! Last Saturday, me and two of my friends went to the casting center to apply for attractions position. We first filled out one paper scheduling application and two online applications. One of my friends was not able to get through because she had scheduling issues in the summer. Anyways, my other friend and I got through that part and then watched an Intro video of working at Disneyland, all about the "Disney Difference" and such. After that part, we had to take this online "interview". It asked questions about our personality and such, to see if we had the "stuff" to be a castmember. Such fun! hahah =P

    Anyways, both my friend and I were invited to have an interview, but were asked to return next week for the interview, so my interview was actually yesterday. My interview included one other person I did not know. She was actually returning to work at Disneyland after she worked here for 3 months last summer. The interview went pretty well for me. The other girl did not get the job, but I did! I am now an Adventureland Attractions CM. I have paperwork and traditions coming this week and I could not be more excited. Since I'll be spending more time at the park now, maybe I'll be able to see you guys!

    Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience with you guys.

  2. #2

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,271

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Barker for Aladdin show?
    Tarzan treehouse host?
    Jungle Cruise loader/unloader?
    Tiki Room bird waker-upper?
    Indy FastPass collector?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  3. #3

    • Resident Ghost
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    479

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Okay, I read the original post and all you did was re-post it? Why again? Couldn't you have posted it as a reply to his topic? Or maybe have a lass misleading title? Anyway, I see what you're saying, but how are you sharing your experience. You're reposting someone else's and adding your opinions. Also, it seems you are picking on this kid just a tad...

  4. #4

    • Winter in Oceanside...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,747

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    I think the point is that if you only pay minimum wage, all you are going to be able to hire is unskilled, younger workers and others who are willing to (desperately) work for only minimum wage because that is all they can get.

  5. #5

    • Winter in Oceanside...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,747

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Quote Originally Posted by MRBboy2005 View Post
    Also, it seems you are picking on this kid just a tad...
    This "kid" sounds like someone who loves Disney and has the enthusiasm needed to make a good CM.

  6. #6

    • Resident Ghost
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    479

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    This "kid" sounds like someone who loves Disney and has the enthusiasm needed to make a good CM.
    Exactly, but the way the topic was created, it seems if rgrant999 believes this kid would be reason enough for minimum wage...

  7. #7

    • Helmsdad
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    High Mountains, CA
    Posts
    313

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Congrats! We'll be seeing you there!

    P.S. There is NO SUCH THING as an UNSKILLED WORKER!


    When did they convince us to accept such terms for our beautiflul, talented, wonderful selves?
    Last edited by sixwoofys; 03-26-2007 at 05:21 PM.

    Did I just say that?

  8. #8

    • Fastest Man Alive
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    I don't understand the point of this.

    The argument given is that since an unskilled enthusiastic post-high schooler is willing and able to successfully land a job at Disneyland as an Attractions Host for minimum wage (essentially, $0.20 above California min. wage to be exact) that Disney should not pay above minimum wage?

    It's a cute argument. It just ignores the massive employment recruitment and retention issues that Disneyland is currently facing. That really is heart of the matter.
    Again, this a 'straw man' argument of someone setting up a their premise and attacking it, and acting like they've proven their point when no one else has held that belief in the first place.

  9. #9

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    I believe the point is, because Disney pays so low for the jobs, they are at the point of HAVING to hire any old high schooler off the street. Which just points back to WHY they need to pay more... then they can afford to be more picky (though, to be fair, if the kid in question is a micechatter, there's a good chance they'll make a good CM)

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    386

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I don't understand the point of this.

    The argument given is that since an unskilled enthusiastic post-high schooler is willing and able to successfully land a job at Disneyland as an Attractions Host for minimum wage (essentially, $0.20 above California min. wage to be exact) that Disney should not pay above minimum wage?

    It's a cute argument. It just ignores the massive employment recruitment and retention issues that Disneyland is currently facing. That really is heart of the matter.
    Again, this a 'straw man' argument of someone setting up a their premise and attacking it, and acting like they've proven their point when no one else has held that belief in the first place.

    Oh boy, perhaps I was too obtuse - my post was in reference to many other threads where there was a debate about what the proper wage of CM's should be and several posters were arguing that CM's had significant experience and warranted much higher pay.

    The reason I did not reply in the poster's original thread is because I did not want to appear as being critical of the kid (perhaps in my note where I again say he is a good kid and will be a good CM wasn't clear enough).

    My point was that his true story only served a very stark contrast to those posters who were making an argument of the difficulty of the attractions CM's job, the experience needed to do these jobs, etc.

    Again, NOT to repeat the entire thread on the topic, again, just found his story amusing in that context.

    I'm not sure I can be clearer.

  11. #11

    • 88 mph
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA 10 miles from DL
    Posts
    808

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    And IN-N-OUT hires specialist burger makers right? They get paid more.


    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    386

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post
    And IN-N-OUT hires specialist burger makers right? They get paid more.

    And yet knowing this, he still accepted the job at Disneyland vs. In-N-Out. Sounds like the job pays what the market will bear (unless he was forced to take it by hypnotic industrial psychologists - never mind, different topic).

  13. #13

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,271

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Quote Originally Posted by rgrant999 View Post
    I'm not sure I can be clearer.
    Well, that is a shame.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  14. #14

    • Fastest Man Alive
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Quote Originally Posted by rgrant999 View Post
    Oh boy, perhaps I was too obtuse - my post was in reference to many other threads where there was a debate about what the proper wage of CM's should be and several posters were arguing that CM's had significant experience and warranted much higher pay.

    The reason I did not reply in the poster's original thread is because I did not want to appear as being critical of the kid (perhaps in my note where I again say he is a good kid and will be a good CM wasn't clear enough).

    My point was that his true story only served a very stark contrast to those posters who were making an argument of the difficulty of the attractions CM's job, the experience needed to do these jobs, etc.

    Again, NOT to repeat the entire thread on the topic, again, just found his story amusing in that context.

    I'm not sure I can be clearer.
    But you are repeating topic, since you just re-started it again.

    To those posters that state experience is needed for the entry-level Disney jobs (attractions hosts, ODV, foods, stores, custodial whatnot) they are just plain incorrect. To those posters that state the attractions CM's job is difficult and not just any Joe Schmoe can do a satisfactory job at it certainly warrants discussion.

    However, in the original post you clearly noted to "please remind me why they should be making above minimum wage?" which clearly indicates that in your post, since this kid got the job that is evidence for why Disney should not pay above minimum wage.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    386

    Re: I stand corrected - highly skilled attraction CM's

    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    But you are repeating topic, since you just re-started it again.

    To those posters that state experience is needed for the entry-level Disney jobs (attractions hosts, ODV, foods, stores, custodial whatnot) they are just plain incorrect. To those posters that state the attractions CM's job is difficult and not just any Joe Schmoe can do a satisfactory job at it certainly warrants discussion.

    However, in the original post you clearly noted to "please remind me why they should be making above minimum wage?" which clearly indicates that in your post, since this kid got the job that is evidence for why Disney should not pay above minimum wage.


    I guess you had to be there for the other discussion thread. You're right, I GIVE! I should have used it as a reply to the older discussion to put it into context. The post only proves what it proves - a kid (who once again, seems like a WONDERFUL kid who will be a GREAT CM) who is in high school with no training, experience, skills, etc. can walk in and be an attractions CM (just like I did years ago). That's it, that was the point I was reinforcing.

    The older thread was the CM Fair Wage discussion - again SORRY should have posted it as a reply to that thread.
    Last edited by rgrant999; 03-26-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PhotoPass needs Skilled Photographers
    By GUYNYC in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 11:39 PM
  2. Highly addictive game for the DS
    By Savik101 in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 09:51 PM
  3. Has the Semaphore at Frontierland Station Been Corrected, Yet?
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 02:05 AM
  4. Attraction CM's Test out Monsters. Inc.
    By Disney50 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 02:47 PM
  5. Highly contraversial. don't fight. ;)
    By thejoshualee in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •