Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Progressive Disneylander

Is DCA TOO Convenient For Its Own Good?

After reading over the viability of a 3rd gate thread, I started to wonder about DCA's own viability problem.

Maybe this is crazy, but is it possible that having DCA so convenient to the Disneyland gate possibly a negative?

For us park hoppers, it's no doubt a positive. But does such convenience cause us to rule out spending a full day at DCA because DL is right next door?

And if DCA were not right next to DL, do we all really believe DCA would be a ghost town? Would you really never visit it again?

OR...

Would people be more inclined to try and make a full day of DCA if it were more than walking distance from DL?

AND...

Do you think Disney would have invested more time, effort and money into DCA if it truly needed to depend on its own daily guests?

OR...

Am I just mad as a hatter??
    Last edited by KISSman; 03-26-2007 at 10:37 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Is DCA TOO Convenient For It's Own Good?

The further DCA would be from DL, and
    if easy transportation was not available
    between DCA and DL (monorail, people
    mover, or shuttle of some sort), the
    less likely I would visit DCA.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    The further DCA would be from DL, and
    if easy transportation was not available
    between DCA and DL (monorail, people
    mover, or shuttle of some sort), the
    less likely I would visit DCA.

Haha yah that's for sure. I mean... maybe once in awhile I'd hit up DCA but I probably go a lot more now because it's so close to the main park.

The third park better be GOOD!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Done waiting!!

I agree with the above posts although your point about Disney feeling more pressure to build a successful park if it had to stand on its own is an interesting idea.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Lost in Wonderland

I think...

If DCA were further away from Disneyland, you would get fewer overall guests (a lot fewer), but the guests there would spend more time there. You would also have a lot fewer annual passholders there.

So out of town guests or people who had never visited DCA would plan to spend a day there (but maybe leave early due to boredom.) And the distance between the parks would discourage Disneyland guests from jaunting over to DCA for a few hours. Some people like to head over to DCA just to see Aladdin, Block Party Bash, Disney's Electrical Parade, or just ride a single ride. If DCA were further away, a lot of them wouldn't bother. Or the timing wouldn't work, due to the increased travel time. Just think of how most people don't like the hassle of taking the tram back to Mickey & Friends Parking Structure.

• Banned User

DCA sits across from the greatest theme park on Earth. That certainly helps!

• Knight that says Nee!!

I think it needs to be that close. I don't mind DCA, but I could not spend a whole day there. About four hour tops and my family and I would pretty much do what we go there to do/see and be ready for something else...oh like say...DL across the way! If it was farther away ad actually required transportation to get to the gate, i would probably not visit it on every trip i make down there.

• Senior Minion

That's an interesting point you are bringing up. As it is I'm not a big fan of DCA and actually went for the first time in October of last year. Now, even with my annual pass the most I end up doing when I go there is TOT and then go home.

Maybe it is too convenient being so close to the Disneyland gates, but overall DCA is one of the worst designed parks I've seen. Too many dead ends and you have to go out of your way to get anywhere around there.

• Defying gravity

Re: Is DCA TOO Convenient For Its Own Good?

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    Am I just mad as a hatter??
    Maybe..............

I have an AP and would have to agree, if CA was farther away I wouldnt spend as much time there as I do now. The problem with CA is its not an "all day park" theres just not enough to do there. I love the Aladdin show and see it at least once every trip, I also love Tot and Soarin and the new Monsters Inc ride is cool but I'm not a little kid so if the line is long I skip it. I will ride California Screamin but not every trip. I will ussually go to the MK at opening then head over to CA about 10-10:30 for Tot, Soaring, lunch and Aladdin, sometimes Turtle talk and Tuff to be a Bug then its back to MK, sometime we will go a bit later and watch the Electrical Parade but not every time. What they need is a couple of more E ticket rides to keep you busy and a good night show after the parade to make you want to stay later. I hope they drop the Muppet Vision show and bring in Mickey's Philharmagic, its a great show, maybe they need another Aladdin - Braodway style show also. In my opinion Disney has two parks that are not all day parks, one is California Adventure and the other is the Animal Kingdom at WDW. While I really enjoy AK I dont think its and all day park either, it closes early, no night show and I think people leave in the afternoon and dont come back. CA just doesnt have enough to hold your attention as long as MK, at MK I can ride some of my favorites over and over again, if lines are short ride Indy, get off and walk right back on again. Same with POTC, JC and HM only Tot makes me really want to do this at CA.
    Steve

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I believe that a California-themed Park located in California was a poor idea from conception. I further believe the only location that gives it a chance at survival is right where it sits now--next to the greatest theme park in the World.

I do think DCA has merit, and I visit it every time I go to DL. I also think, however, that DCA will be improved in the years ahead, and will become a better Park, though never a vacation "destination" that is capable of financial independence from DL.

• Another part of me

I have to aggree with fo'c'sle swab, a California themed Park in California is a really bad idea. I suppose when they were planning in the classic Walt Disney styl, the got stuck in the Dreamer phase and failed to look at the other two phases.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I find DCA to be very similar to MGM Studios in Florida. I found MGM to be amusing but not have enough to keep my interest for a full day. Now the parks in Florida are not convienently next to each other. Because of this, my family stayed at MGM longer then we would have liked because it took about an hour to get to Epcot from MGM via boat.

I'm not sure this accurately paints a picture in regard to this thread, but it may give some insight as to how out of town visitors might have handled DCA if it was miles away from the MK.

CHad

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I remember when the 2park premium rolled out and they were charging $300 for it when DCA opened and we were like "OMG, that's so expensive but if that's the only way....."

Imagine if DCA WAS a worth while park. I think Disneyland would be more crowded overall because so many people were coming to see that and visiting disneyland while they're at it.

It would have been a very different theme park culture for sure.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It would have been a very different theme park culture for sure.
    This is all playing out in Japan right now as we speak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast