Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

BOO to the idea of a 'bou'tique park!

Fresh on the heels of Al's update is the growing dismay that Disney is apparently firmly considering installing a 'boutique' park at DLR. Are we so obsessed with wealth now that we need a luxury theme park?
    My concern is that this 'boutique' park will inevitably siphon away time, maintainence and money from the other two parks; landing us somewhere close to where we were ten years ago, when Disneyland was effectively allowed to descend into disrepair.
    Any thoughts?
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Minion

Re: BOO to the idea of a 'bou'tique park!

I would be very concerned that all the high-level reinvestment would be siphoned off the entire resort to this 'boutique" enterprise. And what kind of attractions could be then "shipped over" for the little people to enjoy? - - Hard rides would not be portable, but would have to be rebuilt at great expense, unless these wonders were only software-based.

Of more concern is that Disneyland was intended to be populist and available to everyone - - and after DCA and other intiatives to lure this demo, I'm not convinced that the trendy, spendy hoi-polloi are even interested in associating themselves with a Disney vacation.

Ask Wolfgang Puck and the Mondavis - - Does this market really exist for Disney? Or is it a company for the real people - - who desperately need fanciful escape from the everyday.

The rich can travel to the real thing.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

What I am really bummed out about is from what I understand it will cost between $150 - $200 to get in, which means that I will probably never go...

• Banned User

I would only go if it's on the same level of Tokyo Disney Sea. But isn't Tokyo Disney Sea the same price or cheaper than a ticket to Disneyland? Why would they have to charge way more just to do what the Oriental Land Company does?

There's a lot of details missing, the most important being price.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    Fresh on the heels of Al's update is the growing dismay that Disney is apparently firmly considering installing a 'boutique' park at DLR. Are we so obsessed with wealth now that we need a luxury theme park?
    My concern is that this 'boutique' park will inevitably siphon away time, maintainence and money from the other two parks; landing us somewhere close to where we were ten years ago, when Disneyland was effectively allowed to descend into disrepair.
    Any thoughts?
    I have to disagree. In my opinion, the bulk of people who are obsessed with wealth are those who don't have it. I love a world of "options" wherein those who elect to spend more (or even less) than other consumers have the ability to make informed decisions about what it correct for their lifestyle and budget.

Just because there are higher priced options does not force me to select them nor does it mean that I can't have an excellent time or a quality product by selecting a lesser priced option.

I look at a boutique park in a different way. With a higher price, you are paying for a more immersive and different experience. You pay for additional features and options associated with the visit. I do not view it as paying to be surrounded by those with wealth. Guests at various levels of wealth will determine if the park offerings are worth the higher price of admission. I do not see how this would bring down maintenance or siphon off any funds from the existing parks.

• n/a

Why I'm against it

1) WHAT I'M NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS PARK?!!!!

2) I have a great idea... let's take a big chunk of property in a town where it's hard to come by... and make it a socialite playground... instead of making a park that could absorb yet even more crowds from the congested Disneyland.

3) What attractions are they going to get? Either craptastic ones that they don't want to place in DL or DCA because real estate is limited... or AMAZING ones because they want Brad and Angelina's kids to have a great time.

I suggest we call this new park. PARK 33!!!!
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    2) I have a great idea... let's take a big chunk of property in a town where it's hard to come by... and make it a socialite playground...
    It depends if that's what it is or not. If it's like a lavishly themed club with no rides then I wouldn't be interested at all. If there are a good amount of E-Tickets that go above and beyond what Disney has ever done, then I'd save the money to go.

It all depends on what it ultimately might end up as. Don't get angry about a project that hasn't even gotten off the ground yet.

• As I said, persuade me.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    What I am really bummed out about is from what I understand it will cost between $150 - $200 to get in, which means that I will probably never go...

WHAT??? are you kidding me????

Where are the facts? I haven't read anything of this...

a very terrible no good rotten idea...

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    Why I'm against it

1) WHAT I'M NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS PARK?!!!!

2) I have a great idea... let's take a big chunk of property in a town where it's hard to come by... and make it a socialite playground... instead of making a park that could absorb yet even more crowds from the congested Disneyland.

3) What attractions are they going to get? Either craptastic ones that they don't want to place in DL or DCA because real estate is limited... or AMAZING ones because they want Brad and Angelina's kids to have a great time.

I suggest we call this new park. PARK 33!!!!

lol
    You're just irked with Club 33 cause you haven't gone... :-p I think the Club is a fine idea...

I don't know about this park...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by sanguinepoppet View Post
    WHAT??? are you kidding me????

Where are the facts? I haven't read anything of this...

a very terrible no good rotten idea...
    Actually the quote I remember reading is about $225, but I posted figures a little lower than that because I didn't want to mis-quote anything. I do remember seeing it somewhere on Micechat. I would do the research but I am at work...

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    I have to disagree. In my opinion, the bulk of people who are obsessed with wealth are those who don't have it. I love a world of "options" wherein those who elect to spend more (or even less) than other consumers have the ability to make informed decisions about what it correct for their lifestyle and budget.

Just because there are higher priced options does not force me to select them nor does it mean that I can't have an excellent time or a quality product by selecting a lesser priced option.

I look at a boutique park in a different way. With a higher price, you are paying for a more immersive and different experience. You pay for additional features and options associated with the visit. I do not view it as paying to be surrounded by those with wealth. Guests at various levels of wealth will determine if the park offerings are worth the higher price of admission. I do not see how this would bring down maintenance or siphon off any funds from the existing parks.
    My qualm is that this 'immersive theming' they're now considering charging a premium for is what they're supposed to be offering at the basic parks. What's to say if this passes they don't consider the next Nemo or Indy to be too good for the basic rabble, and sequester it to the Hilton crowd at this 'boutique' park?
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

this all just sounds like a terrible idea

$225 a head will never last - there's just not enough Disney freaks out there with that kind of income. But I still like the idea of a Premium theme park - and I don't make that much money. I'd pay it once a year or so, and be amazed and wowed like I used to be with DL when I only went once a year.

With that said, I'd really like to see the concept art before affirming my feelings!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Unless they're allowing me to swim with dolphins, I'm not entirely sure what kind of experience they're going to even attempt. And also not sure what attraction would be feasible to transport to another park on a whim.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    My qualm is that this 'immersive theming' they're now considering charging a premium for is what they're supposed to be offering at the basic parks.
    This would be my concern as well, but I think Disneyland park tickets and annual passports are way underpriced anyway. They could get away with charging more. The crowds are insane.

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast