View Poll Results: Who Should Live in the Treehouse?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Re-Imagineer it back to the Swiss Family Robinson

135 56.72%
  • Put a Bandaid on it and keep it Tarzan

34 14.29%
  • Tear it down and build something else

56 23.53%
  • Tear it down and leave it a blank spot

13 5.46%
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

• U. B. Bold

Who Should Live in the Treehouse?

Spinning off from another thread, what should be done with Tarzan's Treehouse? If major structural work does indeed need doing, wouldn't this be an ideal time to rethink the entire attraction? Keeping in mind that a new Swiss Family Robinson movie is in the works, let 'em know your thoughts.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

Re: Who Should Live in the Treehouse?

Pirates Tree House.

Seems to work for everything else unusable in DL...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Here is what I said in that original thread:

It seems to me that a lot of people are missing the most blatant failure of Tarzan's Treehouse. That failure comes from the source material itself, Disney's Tarzan. Firstly, Tarzan has no treehouse in the film, as it is his parents. The treehouse is seen twice 1) at the beginning of the film when Tarzan and hs parents first arrive and 2) when Tarzan is brought back by Kala. The attraction though presents itself as though it is a part of the film. But, the only logical explanation is that we are there after the events of Tarzan. The inclusion of character figures is also very problematic. Getting so close we can see just how fake they are (If memory serves me right, the apes don't even have any type of hair. They are just plastic.)

Now the treehouse in Swiss Family Robinson was an actual part of the story. It is where the family takes up residence and eventually remain after the story is told. The intricate details of the treehouse almost make it character itself. The true gem then is the lack of any other characters. Even if nobody visiting knew the story and family behind the treehouse, it is still culturally relevent. The concept of playing fort or building a treehouse is still in the minds of the young and old. The treehouse doesn't need a supporting cast because it is so strong on its own.

Tarzan lived amongst apes, the Robinsons lived in a treehouse. You decide who belongs where.

• Banned User

Barely anyone remembers the original movie. Tarzan is more relevant, regardless of relevence to the movie? Does that make sense?

So what if there is a SRT remake. There was also a horrible movie called Beverly Hills Family Robinson (I know, because I auditioned for it at the time)...and it didn't so grand and was VERY easily forgettable.

I say keep it Tarzan and let him be in peace. (and not pieces)

• Zero Blockout Dates

ME!

Actually if it's come time to "refurbish/rebuild" it I'd rather they just tore the sucker down and let us have a little more room in Adventureland.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    ME!

Actually if it's come time to "refurbish/rebuild" it I'd rather they just tore the sucker down and let us have a little more room in Adventureland.

That's not such a bad idea at all.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Opps
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    Barely anyone remembers the original movie. Tarzan is more relevant, regardless of relevence to the movie? Does that make sense?

So what if there is a SRT remake. There was also a horrible movie called Beverly Hills Family Robinson (I know, because I auditioned for it at the time)...and it didn't so grand and was VERY easily forgettable.

I say keep it Tarzan and let him be in peace. (and not pieces)
    Well, there was also a very successful movie called Pirates of the Caribean, Curse of the Black Pearl, and Disney is hoping to follow up on the success of that franchise with a new SFR movie. Yes, more pirates.

But its not just nostalgia that makes us pine for the old Robinson's tree house, it was simply a better attraction. It was a more emersive experience with water and motion and ingenious contraptions to spark the imagination of any child. Tarzan's treehouse has Disney Store dummies and a slide show. Wow.

I have no problem with attractions being updated, but the update should always be an improvement over the original. As Walt would say, "Plus the show."
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Tarzan lived amongst apes, the Robinsons lived in a treehouse. You decide who belongs where.
    And this sums up the entirety of the seventy-page post I was going to waste everyone's time with.

• Circle of Ancients

Tear it down, make it part of the Indy queue and help the traffic in Adventureland.

close it and get rid of it. It could help with foot traffic in Adventure land

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Well, there was also a very successful movie called Pirates of the Caribean, Curse of the Black Pearl, and Disney is hoping to follow up on the success of that franchise with a new SFR movie. Yes, more pirates.

But its not just nostalgia that makes us pine for the old Robinson's tree house, it was simply a better attraction. It was a more emersive experience with water and motion and ingenious contraptions to spark the imagination of any child. Tarzan's treehouse has Disney Store dummies and a slide show. Wow.

I have no problem with attractions being updated, but the update should always be an improvement over the original. As Walt would say, "Plus the show."

The problem was the target demographic for the attraction is kids, not adults. Kids didn't know who the SFR were and were not venturing into the treehouse. Now kids see "Tarzan" and want to check it out. My mom is a teacher and every year they take a group of kids to Disneyland. Swiss Family Robbinson Treehouse didn't excite the kids to want to check it out, maybe 1-2 per group were currious about it. Now, every kid wants to go check out Tarzan. Seems to me, the Tarzan angle was an appropriate move to make for Disney. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that the Tarzan themed treehouse has finally gotten people back into the attraction.

As for the poll, I choose none of the above. I want it to be used for something else, but keep the treehouse. Add a restraunt to the base of the tree, move the Tiki Room over there and use Tiki Room/Aladdins Oasis/Plaza Gardens for a new attraction. The tree is a great visual and they should keep it. Keep the tree house as part of land theming and just do something around it.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Tear it down, make it part of the Indy queue and help the traffic in Adventureland.
    The problem with the Indy queue isn't space, it is fastpass. They hold the line outside and then have you speed through the temple section. Without fastpass, the queue would rarely extend beyond the ramp to the temple. In the summer and durring busy months, it might fill the base camp.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    The problem was the target demographic for the attraction is kids, not adults. Kids didn't know who the SFR were and were not venturing into the treehouse. Now kids see "Tarzan" and want to check it out. My mom is a teacher and every year they take a group of kids to Disneyland. Swiss Family Robbinson Treehouse didn't excite the kids to want to check it out, maybe 1-2 per group were currious about it. Now, every kid wants to go check out Tarzan. Seems to me, the Tarzan angle was an appropriate move to make for Disney. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that the Tarzan themed treehouse has finally gotten people back into the attraction.
    Personally, I blame the "lack of relevence" on the studio-park synergy. People are being conditioned to only expect attractions based on the recent Disney film library. The details and little things should be so interesting that they do not need people to be enticed by a film connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    ME!
    Ok... but only if you agree to a loincloth.

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast