Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Why is Paradise Pier staying?

California Adventure will be going under a huge planned makeover. The Grizzly Peak area is going to be turned into a 1920's National Parks themed area. Another area is going to be "place-made" or re-themed as Hollywood the way it was when Walt Disney stepped off the train in L.A. from the Midwest (so it's rumored). Okay, great. So why is Paradise Pier sticking around? It's the poorest section of the park. The rides are completely un-magical or interesting (California Screaming? The Sun Wheel? etc etc). Shouldn't this area be bulldozed and a brand new themed area be built? Unfortunately that's not going to happen with Midway Mania going in, but I'm just scratghing my head over why they would keep this area in the first place?

Re: Why is Paradise Pier staying?

as far as i know there are plans to take away the carny midway feel and replace it with more of a victorian feel. think grand floridian style.

• Basking in birthday love

Well, Screamin' is one of the most popular rides in the park, and the line for the swinging gondolas on the Sun Wheel regularly cracks 30 minutes. The parts of the area that really make it suck are the carnival games, its crappy strip mall look, and Boomer/Stinger. Midway Mania is correcting those first two problems, and is going to go a very long way toward giving the area a coherent theme. (I actually like the Orange Stinger, but I won't be all that sad to see it go, since I can go to any county fair and ride it.)

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
    Well, Screamin' is one of the most popular rides in the park, and the line for the swinging gondolas on the Sun Wheel regularly cracks 30 minutes.
    I don't get it though. Those rides are so un-Disney. Just because they've slapped a big Mickey head on it doesn't make it "Disney", you know what I mean? I just hate the way those rides look, they shouldn't be there! I expect to see a plain old roller coaster at Magic Mountain, not at a Disney Park, and I've ridden the real ride the Sun Wheel was based on at grimy dirty Coney Island. Those rides were put into California Adventure because they were cheap, and they still are! They just don't belong, no matter how popular they are!

I dunno...growing up going to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Paradise Pier has reminded of that in some ways (dipped cones is one). The thing that bugged me was having a coaster with a LOOP...I don't think any of the pier/boardwalks in CA have a coaster with a loop. While I agree with the midway games going is a great thing...that, too reminds me of Santa Cruz and the games there.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    I don't get it though. Those rides are so un-Disney. Just because they've slapped a big Mickey head on it doesn't make it "Disney", you know what I mean? I just hate the way those rides look, they shouldn't be there! I expect to see a plain old roller coaster at Magic Mountain, not at a Disney Park, and I've ridden the real ride the Sun Wheel was based on at grimy dirty Coney Island. Those rides were put into California Adventure because they were cheap, and they still are! They just don't belong, no matter how popular they are!

I think half of Paradise Pier is decent, the other half should be converted into a brand new land. And the Paradise Pier Hotel that looms overhead should be bulldozed and redone DISNEY STYLE and a couple hundred meters back. (that hotel wasn't always a disney hotel).

Screamin' is one of the more popular attractions at DCA and it is cool that it's a steel coaster that looks like a woodie. The Sunwheel next to it is a great night time visual. With Midway Mania put in, those attractions make for a pretty nice round-up.

Everything ELSE should be completely ditched. The Midway Games, the Orange Stinger, SS Rustworthy, McBurger Invasion, Pizza Oom Mow Mow, Golden Zephyr, everything.

I actually like the mulholland madness as something that can be much better but i digress. The majority of Paradise Pier will probably be canned in time as part of the place making project. At least... that's what was rumored anyway.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Tinkfan View Post
    I dunno...growing up going to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Paradise Pier has reminded of that in some ways (dipped cones is one). The thing that bugged me was having a coaster with a LOOP...I don't think any of the pier/boardwalks in CA have a coaster with a loop. While I agree with the midway games going is a great thing...that, too reminds me of Santa Cruz and the games there.
    Doesn't the roller coaster at the Santa Monica Pier have a loop or corkscrew or something to that effect?

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

I would not count on those games going away.....getting a face lift - yes. But going away....no.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• MA Reader Since 2003

The victorian theme will be nice but they also need to tear out the old rides and put in some Disney quality rides in their place. I think that if the current rumors/plans come to fruition DCA will really be a really cool place worthy of its ticket price.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    California Adventure will be going under a huge planned makeover. The Grizzly Peak area is going to be turned into a 1920's National Parks themed area. Another area is going to be "place-made" or re-themed as Hollywood the way it was when Walt Disney stepped off the train in L.A. from the Midwest (so it's rumored). Okay, great. So why is Paradise Pier sticking around? It's the poorest section of the park. The rides are completely un-magical or interesting (California Screaming? The Sun Wheel? etc etc). Shouldn't this area be bulldozed and a brand new themed area be built? Unfortunately that's not going to happen with Midway Mania going in, but I'm just scratghing my head over why they would keep this area in the first place?
    According to Al Lutz's last major article on DCA, Cali Screaming will be overlaid with a Disney villians theme, the Maliboomer will get a Toy Story parachute armymen theme, and Mulholland Madness and the Golden Zephyr will be yanked out to make room for "Carsland"
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Everything ELSE should be completely ditched. The Midway Games, the Orange Stinger, SS Rustworthy, McBurger Invasion, Pizza Oom Mow Mow, Golden Zephyr, everything.
    Technically, most of that is part of Route 66. Not that guests get that distinction anyway.

The Pier looks really pretty at night. Very photogenic. Just give California Screamin' a more thematically appropriate name and spiel, and with that, Sun Wheel, King Triton's Carousel, and Midway Mania, you've got a perfectly workable land. Then they can try to figure out what to do with the Route 66 mess.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Doesn't the roller coaster at the Santa Monica Pier have a loop or corkscrew or something to that effect?
    No it does not.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    According to Al Lutz's last major article on DCA, Cali Screaming will be overlaid with a Disney villians theme
    Okay....and??? Will it be enclosed?

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I had to speak up...I love Paradise Pier. I do think the section from the Maliboomer to the Golden Zephyr could use a huge dose of themeing...doesn't have the same charm as the rest of the area. I have a great deal of fun with the games, and I could spend hours at the Cove Bar, even without liquour, enjoying the atmosphere. And you can't beat the view at night...beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Like another poster said on here in another thread the games could actually be worth playing if you're going to win a, here's a thought, DISNEY RELATED PRIZE! Instead of those generic snakes at the skee ball game, why not have Kaa plushes, or for the little kid fishing game why not have Nemo prizes?

Also, a thought just came to me for Mulholland Madness? Why not turn it into a ride where you're running away from the dog nappers with Pluto? Turn the cardboard signs into 3D images of a dognapper trying to reach out to you, have the train bust through a wall just narrowly missing the dognappers car? This could all be based around a couple of those classic Disney cartoons where Pluto had to run away from those pesky dognappers! Now, as for how it could fit into Paradise Pier, hmmmm..., I'm not quite sure. But it would at least be better themed (an actual Disney reference - Pluto!) and the MM lovers would still have their ride!

...Joe...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast