Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Maybe YAY to the idea of a boutique park!

I reserve judgement to see what might be in store. The idea sounds interesting to me.

If in this economy of theme park design, anything that can again create full blown, emmersive entertainment, the way they did it in the sixties at Disneyland (POTC, COP, HM for example) , I'm all for. Half-baked, cheaply done attractions that can not satisfy past a single visit (TL '98, Superstar Limo anyone?) I'm against.

Let's see what the plans might be, as opposed to a distant rumor, before we so loudly pound our collective chests in honor of the little guy vs. those evil, rich other people...

For me, it is all about imagination, entertainment, story-telling and emmersive experience. If it is great, I'll find a way to go. You can bet on that!
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Lipstick is Power

Re: Maybe YAY to the idea of a boutique park!

I agree, the idea has its good points and its bad, but I want WAY more info before I deside.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

LOL! Nice.

Yes I cannot stress anymore that this new park would be such a breath of fresh air for the imagineering and Disney theme park brands. Disney would finally be inventing new ride designs and technologies like they used to be. Money is the last thing we should be thinking of because Walt always hated it when money became a barrier for his own products. It is quite sad that Disney can't beat Pirates of the Caribbean in theming, I say it is about time they do so for the good of the company. Maybe out of this imagineering can even turn its name back to WED, that would be awesome!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, once they use the land for hotels and a boutique park, there won't be any second chances. I think that's why people are so upset about this idea. If they go this route, we'll never see a big worthy companion for Disneyland.

A boutique park won't be able to relieve the over crowded conditions at Disneyland. Won't offer the company the same income potential that Disneyland does. Won't draw in huge crowds to help fill an expanded Downtown Disney. In short, it doesn't live up to the full potential of the Disneyland resort area. What it will do is create a wonderful experience for only 5,000 people per day. An elitist dream world. But not fitting a company which mass markets to all the people of the world.

Buy our videos, see our movies, but only you rich people get to visit our new park. The ultimate Disney snub.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Neep meep beep

I support this thread! I think that "thinking outside the box", and creating bigger and better things for Disney theme parks means not confining itself to what's been done in the past, and what fits in one specific theme park, for one specific demographic. The specific area they are thinking about is too small to be "another Disneyland", or to alleviate overcrowding much. Bring on whatever imagineering can dream!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Unfortunately, once they use the land for hotels and a boutique park, there won't be any second chances. I think that's why people are so upset about this idea. If they go this route, we'll never see a big worthy companion for Disneyland.

A boutique park won't be able to relieve the over crowded conditions at Disneyland. Won't offer the company the same income potential that Disneyland does. Won't draw in huge crowds to help fill an expanded Downtown Disney. In short, it doesn't live up to the full potential of the Disneyland resort area. What it will do is create a wonderful experience for only 5,000 people per day. An elitist dream world. But not fitting a company which mass markets to all the people of the world.

Buy our videos, see our movies, but only you rich people get to visit our new park. The ultimate Disney snub.

As I said Dusty, price is irrelevant in this situation because there are way more good things that come out of this park than bad. Btw what would you have them do? There is only so much land to work with and they have to do something with it. As Al said the only way for it to become a larger park is if they buy out everything in the vicinity which simply not cost prohibitive. If you can only fit 5,000 people in the park then they have to make up for it in price of admission. I hardly consider a 150 dollar admission ticket 10-20 years down the road elitist lol. If anyone actually thinks that this park will be a 100 dollars more than Disneyland has to be kidding themselves. I predict Disneyland will be around 100 dollars and this park will be 150.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 03-28-2007 at 02:42 PM.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    I reserve judgement to see what might be in store. The idea sounds interesting to me.

If in this economy of theme park design, anything that can again create full blown, emmersive entertainment, the way they did it in the sixties at Disneyland (POTC, COP, HM for example) , I'm all for. Half-baked, cheaply done attractions that can not satisfy past a single visit (TL '98, Superstar Limo anyone?) I'm against.

Let's see what the plans might be, as opposed to a distant rumor, before we so loudly pound our collective chests in honor of the little guy vs. those evil, rich other people...

For me, it is all about imagination, entertainment, story-telling and emmersive experience. If it is great, I'll find a way to go. You can bet on that!

I'm not so put off buy the $200 per person admission price that I've seen kicked around the board. But I want QUALITY for that kind of money. And I'm worried what we'll get is another DCA with a higher gate fee. Yet another park that needs to "Grow" into it's role and space. Remember how hyped Disney was before DCA opened? Remember how they were actually, arrogantly, saying DCA was going to steal all the thunder and glory away from DL itself? LOL Now do you honestly think almost the same cast of idiots can do better than they did the last time?

I have NO PROBLEM paying a higher price for a vastly superior (and I mean BETTER than DL itself) experience. But we're talking about the WDI of today who helped bring you TL98 and DCA. Not the WED of Yesterland who built us Disneyland.

I'm already saving to visit the two parks in Japan because they look so beautiful and special. Offer me something on par with that or even better and I'll happily pay out 200+ dollars per person to get through the gate.

But I don't see that happening somehow.

I almost wish that Disney would turn over operation of the US parks the Oriental Land Company and let OLC run the parks the OLC way.

Just my opinion.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    I'm not so put off buy the $200 per person admission price that I've seen kicked around the board. But I want QUALITY for that kind of money. And I'm worried what we'll get is another DCA with a higher gate fee. Yet another park that needs to "Grow" into it's role and space. Remember how hyped Disney was before DCA opened? Remember how they were actually, arrogantly, saying DCA was going to steal all the thunder and glory away from DL itself? LOL Now do you honestly think almost the same cast of idiots can do better than they did the last time?

I have NO PROBLEM paying a higher price for a vastly superior (and I mean BETTER than DL itself) experience. But we're talking about the WDI of today who helped bring you TL98 and DCA. Not the WED of Yesterland who built us Disneyland.

I'm already saving to visit the two parks in Japan because they look so beautiful and special. Offer me something on par with that or even better and I'll happily pay out 200+ dollars per person to get through the gate.

But I don't see that happening somehow.

I almost wish that Disney would turn over operation of the US parks the Oriental Land Company and let OLC run the parks the OLC way.

Just my opinion.
    You are totally correct. Naturally my premise is based on the idea that imagineering will totally outdo itself. If they don't then we do have a problem. Frankly I don't believe that will happen though since money has always been the problem and that is why we don't have WED quality imagineering anymore. This park is our answer to finally get imagineering to become WED again.

• Inappropriate

A boutique park sounds like a great idea, but all it would take would be a flip in a management that doesn't care as much about it and wham! We're stuck with a really small crappy park. And all these "great fanatastic rides" that we love to dream about... the green light process would still haveto go through corporate sludge, wouldn't it? I just think this Idea sounds great... on paper.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    A boutique park sounds like a great idea, but all it would take would be a flip in a management that doesn't care as much about it and wham! We're stuck with a really small crappy park. And all these "great fanatastic rides" that we love to dream about... the green light process would still haveto go through corporate sludge, wouldn't it? I just think this Idea sounds great... on paper.
    If the park is small then all we are talking about here is 10-20 years of intense capital to make it a classic. If funds simply slipped after that period of time the park would be able to sustain itself just like Disneyland does today.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    As I said Dusty, price is irrelevant in this situation because there are way more good things that come out of this park than bad.
    Use of the land and price are both extremely relevant to this discussion as I see it. Why settle for a park that only serves 5,000 rich people per day? I think we should be fighting to see Disney build a park of equal quality of Tokyo Disney Sea which would serve a broad market of guests.

Disneyland has been serving an average of about 55,000 people on the weekends. That means that they bring in over 3 million per day on park admissions alone. To make that happen in a park with only 5,000 guests, they'd need to charge $500 - $600 per day (which they'd never get away with). So, not only is cost extremely relevant, but the paltry use of this extraordinarily valuable land for a park of minimal proportions is really intolerable for me to even think about.

I know that there are factions in WDI that are extremely disappointed with these plans and have much more elaborate ideas for the same space. I'd like to see some of those ideas floated as well, so Disney can weigh the difference in public reaction.

If Disney does go the boutique route, I'll be personally very disappointed - as will millions of others. Can you imagine the bad press that Disney will get for such elitism? Bad enough that in might just come and bite Disney in the ***.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Use of the land and price are both extremely relevant to this discussion as I see it. Why settle for a park that only serves 5,000 rich people per day? I think we should be fighting to see Disney build a park of equal quality of Tokyo Disney Sea which would serve a broad market of guests.
    Naturally Disney should be building stuff like Disney Sea without having to hike up their prices. Unfortunately in America Disney has made it clear that they won't do it without a price increase. If a price hike is what it takes to get a Disney Sea then so be it.

If the park isn't great, no one is going to go as the pricepoint is too high.

Why does someone stay at The Hotel or the Four Seasons when they go to Las Vegas as opposed to some cheap hotel downtown? You spend the money for the comfort, the atmosphere and that experience. It is a small, special place that costs more, but if you are seeking that kind of service, then the opportunity is available to you. It is the same idea here.

It is not about relieving crowding at the parks. It is not about trying to sell a few drinks and dinners at Downtown Disney. It is about the experience. Plenty of people can afford it and will partake if it is great.

How many people pay extra at Universal Studios Orlando just so they don't have to stand in the main line for rides? Plenty. The price and the what it buys you seems worth it to them. The same applies here.

And if along the way, we get an amazing theme park... What is wrong with that?

You can offer different levels of service in nearly every service imaginable. Hospitals. Supermarkets. Restaurants. You name it and it already exists whether you want to admit it or not.

It is a fact of life. Remember, if you don't want to go, no one is making you.
    Last edited by mickeyandme67; 03-28-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Spelling, spelling, spelling...

ANALOGY: I'm not wealthy, but I (window) shop at a mall that tends to attract very wealthy clientele.

There are two candy stores at this mall.

There's a See's Candies, and there's a Godiva Chocolates.

Nobody shops at the Godiva. Godiva was a candy store that specifically targeted the wealthy. It was supposed to be an alternative to See's. But everybody, both wealthy and non-wealthy refuse to abandon the classic See's Candies. Everytime I go past that mall, the lines at See's are out the door, and Godiva sits empty.

CONCLUSION: Wealthy people (which I'm not) don't like to be excessively "marketed to". (IMHO)

Nobody likes to be told where they need to go, or funneled into a place because the powers-that-be say that's where they should be. If anything, I'd rebel against it, and go the opposite direction.

Admissions price makes no difference, of course, no matter what the price, there are people in Southern California that would pay it.

The larger question is, do wealthy people like to be pandered to in the first place, and in such an obvious way ??

The idea of a group of people, any group--really, rich/poor whatever.... and trying to herd them like cattle, or funnel them into their own special isolated holding tank.

In many ways it's quite insulting, I would think, to the wealthy, especially, who probably aren't used to being "herded", or "funneled" over to alternate spaces.

I don't think it's gonna work.

WestCot, WestCot, WestCot !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    ANALOGY: I'm not wealthy, but I (window) shop at a mall that tends to attract very wealthy clientele.

There are two candy stores at this mall.

There's a See's Candies, and there's a Godiva.

Nobody shops at the Godiva. Godiva was a candy store that specifically targeted the wealthy. It was supposed to be an alternative to See's. But everybody, both wealthy and non-wealthy refuse to abandon the classic See's Candies. Everytime I go past that mall, the lines at See's are out the door, and Godiva sits empty.

CONCLUSION: Wealthy people (which I'm not) don't like to be "marketed to". Nobody likes to be told where they need to go, or funneled into a place because the powers-that-be say that's where they should be.

Admissions price makes no difference, of course, no matter what the price, there are people in Southern California that would pay it.

The larger question is, do wealthy people like to be pandered to in the first place, and in such an obvious way ??

The idea of a group of people, any group--really, rich/poor whatever.... and trying to herd them like cattle, or funnel them into their own special isolated holding tank.

In many ways it's quite insulting, I would think, to the wealthy.

I don't think it's gonna work.

WestCot, WestCot, WestCot !!!
    It already does work. Don't base your opinion on a candy store. Go online and try to book a room on a weekend at The Grand Californian. People can stay across the street at Don's Frolic Inn for 100's less, but some don't. They want the experience of a Disney Hotel. Besides, Godiva is not popular because their candy is liqueur-based and it is not very tasty. See's is expensive as heck! But their candy is nuts and stuff that people respond to...

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast