Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fog Curtain in POTC

Any idea how that works? Are they commercially available? It doesn't smell like a normal stage fog machine with oil in it - what is the material?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Fog Curtain in POTC

It's water vapor. I saw a similar effect at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January.

It's very cool - I thought it might be a nice addition to the Halloween decorations

• Inhospitable about happy

The effect is actually fairly simple and commercially available, but it ain't cheap. You can buy one for yourself if you've got a spare $125,000 kicking around.

Check it out: http://www.fogscreen.com/en/index.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

If you want to go with its predicessor they are cheaper.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

$125 large might be a tough sell for Halloween decorations with wifey

you know whats funny? I saw this special on the Travel Channel where they show future technologies and they were discussing Interacting 3D imagry (sp?) and they showed the fog curtain and they actually said this was in the future
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

okay what you'll need is a bucket, box fan, dry ice, and old school movie projector from a high school stuck in the 80's and a bit of pixie dust. If your lucky the projector will come with a wonders of life reel that will scare the costumes off your neighborhood kids.

These are nothing more than ultrasonic humdifiers. They are refered to as "mistmakers". The science museum I work at (I'm the exhibits tech) has an exhibit the replicates a tornado. The heart of the thing is a 10 disc ultrasonic mistmaker in a plastic tank. I had to replace it recently, seems to me that it was $125.00. It would easily fill a small room with "fog".

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I HATE that effect! I say, tear it out, and return that tunnel to the best make-out location in any Disney theme park ever!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I HATE that effect! I say, tear it out, and return that tunnel to the best make-out location in any Disney theme park ever!
    Agreed. The Davy Jones Fog Curtain effect is a square-peg in a round-hole thematically. It's an interesting effect--save it for another attraction (HM?), and bring back that wonderful sountrack. Let's go back to black.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Agreed. The Davy Jones Fog Curtain effect is a square-peg in a round-hole thematically. It's an interesting effect--save it for another attraction (HM?), and bring back that wonderful sountrack. Let's go back to black.
    At least it's an effect easily swapped out for something else, since it's just a projection. What they should do is project a waterfall on it. Seriously. And put some heavy-duty bubblers at the water level to produced turbulence, and add a loud, deep sound of rushing water at that point. They could so make it look like you're headed into a thick waterfall, very realistically.

That would be more fun than DJ.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    At least it's an effect easily swapped out for something else, since it's just a projection. What they should do is project a waterfall on it. Seriously. And put some heavy-duty bubblers at the water level to produced turbulence, and add a loud, deep sound of rushing water at that point. They could so make it look like you're headed into a thick waterfall, very realistically.

Not enough waterfalls (3) in POTC for ya, HB?

•   

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post

I heard that's what they actually planned on doing but they couldn't get the bubbles or the sound right so they scrapped it at the last minute.
    They were supposed to bring it back with the "new" additions before the next movie premier but now that that's scrapped too, I don't know what they'll do. I don't think the Imagineers got it to work the way they planned.

I agree with you, it would have been cool to see.

You can make a makeshift version of a fogscreen for much cheaper using your usual halloween type fog machine. Get a cooler, the small foam ones they sell at circle k are fine. Fill it up with dry ice and line the fog machine nozzle up with it and cut a hole in it that fits the nozzle. cut a hole in the other end for the fog to pour out of. Now place the whole setup on a ledge(such as your roof) so that the fog can pour off of. It works pretty well, used to do it in my garrage haunted house lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast