Disneyland TV Special - Late 80 - Early 90s - Question...

Ok, In the late 80's early 90's they had a Wonderful World of Disney episode that featured a special on Disneyland.

It included the cast of Cheers, and included one scene where a guy falls in love with a ghost at the Haunted Mansion.

Does anyone remember this special???

Thanks!

• Hey it's that guy I am.

Re: Disneyland TV Special - Late 80 - Early 90s - Question...

That was the 35th Anniversary special. My brother and I loved that special! We'ev been hoping that they would release it on a treasures but well nothing. But yeah it started out in cheers and Woody wanted to watch it. Tony Danza is hosting it and he goes on the Jungle Cruise, the skipper is Charles Fleischer(Roger Rabbits voice.) Ernest does a story about him and his dad, and Miss Piggy shows up. It was great.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by squashandstretch View Post
    That was the 35th Anniversary special. My brother and I loved that special! We'ev been hoping that they would release it on a treasures but well nothing. But yeah it started out in cheers and Woody wanted to watch it. Tony Danza is hosting it and he goes on the Jungle Cruise, the skipper is Charles Fleischer(Roger Rabbits voice.) Ernest does a story about him and his dad, and Miss Piggy shows up. It was great.

Was it the 35th? Even THAT was 17 years ago. Now I feel old. I know Extinct Attractions Club has a DVD from the 35th, but the Cheers cast might have been from the 30th. I know they have the Haunted Mansion clip on their Haunted Mansion DVD. It's '80s cheese at its finest. The clip is a flashback of Woody being too scared to go on the Haunted Mansion. His friends make fun of him, so he goes in and is ditched by them, but meets a little girl who goes on the ride with him. They also have one from 1974 of Sandy Duncan and some other lady playing thieves who break into the mansion, only to find out they're in over their heads when they discover the place is haunted. Both clips are on the DVD.

• Red Wine Lover

The one with the cast of Cheers where Woody falls in love with a ghost is definitely the 35th. I recorded it when it aired, and watch it when I miss the old Disneyland. The "Miss Piggy becomes Cinderella" segment is the best. I would love a DVD, my video is in terrible shape.

Le Chat Noir

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by LeChatNoir View Post
    The one with the cast of Cheers where Woody falls in love with a ghost is definitely the 35th. I recorded it when it aired, and watch it when I miss the old Disneyland. The "Miss Piggy becomes Cinderella" segment is the best. I would love a DVD, my video is in terrible shape.
    Extinct Attractions Club has a DVD with the 35th Anniv. special.

http://01508f4.netsolstores.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=127

Kind of Off Topic But i remember A show in early nineties right after toontown where David Copperfield or some magician was submerged and locked in a cage in the submarine lagoon. They also had the famous old guy who had a cigar all the time... does this ring a bell with anyone?

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    Extinct Attractions Club has a DVD with the 35th Anniv. special.

http://01508f4.netsolstores.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=127
    Wow, $15 for what appears to be a "professional bootleg" DVD. How do they not get "cease and desisted" by the Disney lawyers?

I video taped that special when it was on, but didn't care for it that much. The one Disney special that tops them all was done for Disneyland's 30th Anniversary. That was a 2 hour special and had TONS of top celebrities...well, top for 1985! It was hosted by John Forsythe and Drew Barrymore (when she was around 10 yrs old).

The entertainment they had on that special was great, including Marie Osmand, Debbie Allen, Oak Ridge Boys, Donna Summer, Roy Clark, Pointer Sisters, Peter Allen and many more.

The special was put together very well and I'm so glad I video taped that. And 22 years later I still watch it and smile, or gasp in horror from the 80's look that was so big back then. But still, it holds a ton of memories for me!

Disney has never done another special like that since, which I find odd, especially for the 50th. Probably due to budget cuts!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

In the special with Cheers, wasn't there a scene with an animated Mickey Mouse dancing on top of the Cheers bar, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    In the special with Cheers, wasn't there a scene with an animated Mickey Mouse dancing on top of the Cheers bar, or something?
    That was another special that was done with the Cheers cast. It was for Mickey's 60th Birthday. Mickey danced on the bar for Kirstie Alley...it was really cute. I have that special on video too.

I wish Disney would produce a Treasures dvd with all the great Disneyland tv specials. I would especially like them to include "Disneyland Showtime" with Kurt Russel, the Osmonds, and E.J. Peaker. There is some great music from them and the Kids of the Kingdom along with a behind the scenes tour of the newly opened Haunted Mansion and a ride-through.

Another special I would like to see again is "Disneyland's 25th Anniversary" with Danny Kaye, the Osmonds, and Michael Jackson. I enjoyed Danny Kaye playing many characters and interacting with Adam Rich from Eight Is Enough throughout the show and seeing Michael Jackson perform while so young and innocent and just coming into his prime.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Wow, $15 for what appears to be a "professional bootleg" DVD. How do they not get "cease and desisted" by the Disney lawyers?

The club is a charity, so it's non profit. No one party profits from it.

Let's detour a moment. I'll let the little off topic smiley head things...

It's similar with anime. Fansubbers are fans of an anime who import the videos at their own expense and they translate and subtitle it themselves. Anime companies look the other way so long as the anime is not yet licensed in US (or Australia or UK or where ever they're at) and it's not for profit. The cost of each video is to cover the cost of the media (VHS, VCD, DVD, etc), packaging (dust jackets, jewel cases), and in some cases, the postage or labels. What's left is to maintain the epuipment used to create the videos and perhaps acquire more.

With the club, it's a charity, so the profits are donated.

Also with anime, you'll see a lot of region free DVDs and anime that also have Chinese subtitles and English subtitles (more like Engrish!!). They'll also have inconsistencies. I've seen a DVD set of Sailor Moon Sailorstars that's in Japanese, has English subtitles, produced by a company that has a hotmail address, and has the words "authorized home video in Cambodia". There's a lot wrong with that sentence. These DVDs usually come from Hong Kong and are bootlegs that someone wants to make a profit off of them.

Sorry to hijack the thread, so to get back on topic:

I really wish Disney still made specials for the milestones. I remember they did 4th of July specials from WDW in the late '80s, too. The last special I remember is the Tomorrowland '98 special that aired on UPN affiliates.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Wow, that's interesting! I didn't know that was allowed but I am glad it is. Thanks for the info since I am also an Anime fan as well as Disney fan.

Another special which was truely corny but actually fun was "Welcome to the World," a WDW tv special celebrating the opening of Space Mountain. It starred Lucie Arnaz, Tommy Tune, and Lyle Wagoner. Many would probably consider it the worst park special ever because of its overuse of bad jokes, broadway/Vegas style productions, and canned applause, but it was great in a retro sort of way.