Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ariel's Grotto

Ariel's Grotto

Is Ariel's Grotto worth it for the money? My sister loves the princesses and we will be at the park during the last month of May.

Re: Ariel's Grotto

I would say that it is. I ended up there one night not knowing that it was a character dinner. I believe it was 20.99 per person for a meal with a soup or salad appetizer, main course, and dessert. I can't remember whether or not it included the beverage. Compared to most Disney food, it's pretty tasty, and much better for your money than paying an arm and a leg for a crappy burger somewhere else in the parks. Also, it's an excellent opportunity to have a little one on one time with the Princesses and some great photo opps.
    Given the food quality and access to characters, I think it's well worth it.

• Minion

I have tons of pics from there!!
    We had NOTHING but trouble there. We turned up at 1.20 for o1.30 seating and they said "you were booked in at 1pm" I told them "NO, it was 1.30pm, I phoned from Australia to book it and believe me, I didnot get it wrong!"
    They said "sorry, the soonest you can get is is 2.15pm" we said FINE went away and came back at 2pm... we FINALLY got in at 2.45 (kids hadn't eaten since 8am mind you) Our waiter hardly came near us. He was getting everyones orders at once (about 5 tables) and put all the orders in at once. They NEVER once refilled our drink and we never got the cotton candy either. THEN your waiter takes you money WITH THE TIP ALREADY ADDED ON!!!!!

The princesses came out and walked around and that was IT. There were no activities like the other character dining. The food was OK, nothing to rave about.
    We went to Minnie and friends breakfast (great!) Goofy's kitchen for dinner (awesome!) and Stitch and friends breakfast (awesome!)
    I'll go upload the pics and post them for ya on a new thread. It might take a while (I'm on dial-up)

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• A Pirate's life for me!

Yeah, it is NOT like Goofy's Kitchen.

You are all served pretty much at the same time, and then the Princesses are announced, with Ariel first (of course).

Some were OK, but most just wandered up to us and said, "Hi, wanna picture?", then "Bye". And that was it!

I don't recall which Princesses were there that day (other than Ariel), but I do know that there were five.

With all of the character meals that we have done (numerous times), the kids were disappointed in this one. I guess that they are used to more interaction.

Overall, considering the price and the food that you get, it's better than chawing down a cold burger somewhere else. Just figure the (brief) parade of Princesses a bonus.

It was about two years ago when Ariel's Grotto started this princess thing. We had always been happy with the restaurant and its characters before so we went to it. We were so disappointed. The princesses did not interact at all. I don't think they even looked at us as they quickly asked if we'd like a picture and I don't remember them even smiling. On our next trip one of my kids suggested going there again and my (then six year old) daughter started crying, "I don't want to go there. The princesses are mean!"

But, then we went last December when it wasn't crowded at all, only the inside was open and it wasn't even full. We went because we were right there and we were very hungry (the servings are huge). We had very low expectations for the characters. This time, the princesses were delightful and spent a lot of time at our table and even spent time with the older kids and adults!

• Basking in birthday love

I remember the food being pretty crappy, though dessert was good. The interaction was okay; I don't think we took pictures with all of them. The only thing I really remember of the interaction was my friend Mage asking Cinderella if anyone ever called her Cindy, to which I responded, "She's royalty, you jerk!" We definitely felt like we had just paid for the characters.

Ariel's Grotto gave us pretty low expectations for Akershus, the Princess lunch at Epcot. Which was BEYOND awesome. I seem to be really hit-or-miss with character dining.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Still wants to be a cat!

I've always had good service and food here. Always good interactive Princesses....almost to the point of being annoying. Sorry so many have had bad experiences here. One of my faves!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Queen Elsa

That's one of mine favorite places to eat. I had no trouble with the waitress or waiters. The food is good may be the fry is a little to salty but it's still good food. And the Princess are very nice to me. Snow White in there is every sweet she has remember me 3 times now and I'm going back to Ariel's Grotto this Sat. To see her again. If you look at my Signature you will see the Snow White I'm talking about.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook's View Post
    That's one of mine favorite places to eat. I had no trouble with the waitress or waiters. The food is good may be the fry is a little to salty but it's still good food. And the Princess are very nice to me. Snow White in there is every sweet she has remember me 3 times now and I'm going back to Ariel's Grotto this Sat. To see her again. If you look at my Signature you will see the Snow White I'm talking about.
    You are addicted!!

• Banned User

I don't think they had these cute character meals when my kiddos were young. They are in their mid 20's now, and I don't ever recall seeing anything about character meets back then.

• Shubisha

I say no, not worth the money. The food's not amazing, and I'd rather skip the desert and save a few bucks :P If you have little kids that would die at the chance to see the princesses up close, fine, but you won't get that much time with them. They come through very quickly. You will have a chance at a great picture though. But I'd rather go to goofy's kitchen for a character meal(and I prefer goofy's kitchen at breakfast but that's irrelevant ).

/My first Sunday meet I got dragged there for the first time. Maybe that's why I have such horrible memories of the place...
    //No but really heh. First sunday meet and they bring me to the place where I find out I'm shelling out $23 for a meal no matter what I get. I was slightly worried this was the typical every week occurance and I should start showing up after lunch

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
    You are addicted!!

What do you mean by that?

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

I did not enjoy my experience at Ariel's Grotto...
    I took my mom there. My mom lived in the OC when DL opened, and she went there all the time when DL was brand new and has a really special place in her heart. She hadn't been to DL in years and really wanted me to take her for the 50th...
    She loves Aurora so I thought it would be fun to take her to Ariels Grotto... The princesses didn't stop and chat, they just wanted to know if we wanted a picture, and the food was over priced for what it was...
    <3 Chloe

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I will be going to Ariel's Grotto for an early dinner next Monday. I have been there before, and I like the restaurant, and the food. We will be celebrating my grandson's 14th birthday.

• I love this place!

Well I think it's great. We've eaten there 3 times, once when it was Minnie, Goofy and Chip&Dale, and twice with the princesses. I thought the food was decent for the money, the character interaction was good, and the restaurant itself is really cute. I HATE buffets, so any time I can have a character meal with true table service, it's a definite plus. We would definitely eat there again, it's just not something we do a lot since we usually don't spend more than a few hours at DCA. If you like the princesses, this is definitely the place to go.

FYI, the onion soup was good, and I thought the Surf&Salmon BLT was delicious. Ask if they have any special's too, I had this great seafood soup once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast