Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Was Disneyland really better in the "Good Old Days"?

1. It's so long ago, I don't remember.
    2. Cascade Peak was across the river from the suspension bridge on TSI.
    3. The 'old days' are better. There was creativity and detailed innovative design everywhere. Case in point: CBJ into Pooh. Buzz Lightyear is only a modified doom buggy. Walt had class. He would have never allowed shows that fart and sneeze at you. That's just plain vulgar. Better food? I'll take a Fantasia ice cream over a churro ANYTIME. I always trusted the Disney name for safety. You'll never catch me on Tower of Terror. I also miss the A-E ticket books...with a handful of money, you could have a great time. Now it takes barrels of money. <Steps off soapbox>
    Last edited by Brer Bear; 03-31-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: accident
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

Oh, the fireworks.... (too many head conks from Brer Fox) They used to be 3-5 minutes at the top of the hour. Now, they're 17 minutes in the middle of my tv programs...and I'm usually watching ABC...can't hear a thing. Some synergy.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

First visit was July 18, 1955. I was six so memories are fuzzy but I have the old home movies my Dad took. As mentioned in a previous post, it was my brother's (Lost Boy) birthday that day. He has clearer memories than I do.

We went every year as part of vacation. Sometimes more.

Things I miss:

House of the Future
    The circle vision movie of America
    Carousel of Progress
    Sky Buckets
    Captain Hooks Pirate Ship and the tuna sandwiches
    Plantation Chicken Dinner Restaurant (where Haunted Mansion is, and no I would not replace Haunted Mansion)
    Casa Del Frito
    Flying Saucers
    Walking through the castle
    Painted Desert and Rainbow Caverns
    Fantasyland boats (not sure of the name anymore)
    Country Bears
    Electrical Parade on Main Street
    Trip to the Moon/Mars

Old things still there that I love:

Jungle Cruise
    Tiki Room
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Rail Road Train around the park
    Horse drawn/old vehicles on Main Street
    Haunted Mansion
    Pirates (both old, before PC changes, and new added figures and music)
    Mark Twain
    Small World
    Peter Pan

New (relatively speaking) I like: (for some of you, these are not new at all )

Star Tours
    Space Mountain (not current Rockin version)
    Indiana Jones
    Splash Mountain
    Big Thunder Mountain

Things I don't like now:

Pooh
    Rockin version of Space Mountain
    Tree House (I get tired now)
    Innoventions
    Honey I Shrunk The Kids (once you've seen it, the surprise is over)
    crowds

Looking forward to:

Finding Nemo Submarine Ride

Things I like better now:

Ride anything you want. You don't have to decide which ride you want to use your A,B,C,D or E tickets for.
    The current fireworks show. The Best!

My daughter is now the next generation in our family to enjoy Disneyland. The first thing she bought with her first paycheck from her first job last Fall was an Annual Pass! Ah, my young one ... I have taught you well.

• U. B. Bold

Wow. Thank's for all of the wonderful responses so far. Love the stories from first trips that people are shareing. Also loved (and mostly agreed with) Merlin's better/worse list.

For myself, I think the Park overall was a better, more immersive experience up until about 1985 than it is today. Much of the themeing has been eroded away around the edges and that just bugs me. On the other hand, I think many of the rides themselves are better today than they were in the past. I love Indy and would never trade my Big Thunder Mt RR to go back to Nature's Wonderland (but can't we please have both?). I also miss ticket books. It was a great, simple way to manage crowds - much better than Fast Pass.

Please keep the great stories and comments coming. I'm really enjoing this thread.

By seeing your signature, Where was Cascade peak?

Was in on TSI?
    It was one of the scenic highlights of both the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland and all of the boat traffic on River's of America. A spectacular, multi- tiered waterfall that the Mine Train passed through and under. It was demolished rather than repaired, and today nothing but a low, wooded hill remains on the east side of the ROA accross from Tom Sawyer Island. I miss it a lot. Thanks for asking.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    First visit was July 18, 1955. I was six so memories are fuzzy but I have the old home movies my Dad took. As mentioned in a previous post, it was my brother's (Lost Boy) birthday that day. He has clearer memories than I do.

We went every year as part of vacation. Sometimes more.

Things I miss:

House of the Future
    Carousel of Progress
    Sky Buckets
    Captain Hooks Pirate Ship and the tuna sandwiches
    Plantation Chicken Dinner Restaurant (where Haunted Mansion is, and no I would not replace Haunted Mansion)
    Casa Del Frito
    Flying Saucers
    Walking through the castle
    Painted Desert and Rainbow Caverns
    Fantasyland boats (not sure of the name anymore)
    Country Bears
    Electrical Parade on Main Street
    Trip to the Moon/Mars
    Country Bears

... snip

From your list, add these to my list

House of the Future
    Carousel of Progress
    Sky Buckets -- but I don't miss not riding them anymore
    Captain Hooks Pirate Ship and the tuna sandwiches -- Oh yeah, oh yeah!
    Plantation Chicken Dinner Restaurant (where Haunted Mansion is, and no I would not replace Haunted Mansion) -- never ae there
    Casa Del Frito
    Flying Saucers -- only rode that once or twice
    Walking through the castle --
    Painted Desert and Rainbow Caverns -- yes, yes, yes!

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

My 1st trip was in 1987, I was a newborn...
    After that we went all the time, we lived like 10 minutes away...
    My first actual memory of DL was probably about when I was 5..
    I remember going on The Subs, The Peoplemover, Skyway, and Country Bear Jamboree...
    I LOVED CBJ and have fond fond memories of enjoying the show with my family...
    My mom has been going to disneyland since it first opened to the public, and she misses all the things that were there while she was growing up...
    She still has her program from her DL grad night.... She was the class of 1970... It's really cool to look at...
    <3 Chloe

• Supermom

I was born in 1972 and I am a So Cal native. I spent the most time at DL from the late 70's to the early 90's, when I was a kid. Those were the days of the parking lot and tram, shorter lines, sky tram, etc. I can still hear the original Big Thunder Mountain commercials in my head!!! "Big Thunder Mountain *thunderstorm effect*"

I didn't start going again until 2 years ago, when an all adult trip featuring dinner at Club 33 prompted me to start taking my kids. So I look at it from the perspective of someone who remembers some of Yesterland, and also through the eyes of my 4 and 1 year old kids.

What I really really miss is Tomorrowland, with the old murals, the old rockets, People Mover, and most of all, Adventure Through Innerspace. When I was a kid I ADORED that ride. Now that mid-century design is chic again, it's really a shame that a prime example of jet-age Southern California is gone. To me, Tomorrowland represented a slice of mid-century California, with its plentiful aerospace jobs, post-war tract homes, etc. This is the California where I was raised, and most of it is being torn down. I want my Tomorrowland back!!!

Star Tours and Indy are great, but I don't really "get" the connection to Disney. I think that branding is really important, so I actually like that many of the rides are tied to movies. For example, we're big (HUGE, even) Pixar fans in our house. So we watch the films, play with the toys, and then get to experience the characters "for real" at DL/DCA. Not only does that reinforce the brand, but more importantly, it brings the whole experience to life for children.

P.S. We also don't like Toontown. DH says it feels "tacked on". I say, "That's because it is!"
    Last edited by HelenParr; 03-31-2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Add a P.S.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I am a southern California native, and I was born in October, 1968. I kind of doubt that I would have gone to Disneyland first by the end of that year. It is more likely I would have gone in 1969 somtime. I just simply don't remember when my first trip was. It has been a part of my life -- it just is something that has always been there.

And just like my own life, I have been through good times and bad times. And come to think of it, that is how I feel with Disneyland. It has had its good times. It has had its bad times. Bad times are certain to come to it in the future as are certainly the good times.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

One more quick story about my past with Disneyland.

I graduated class of 1966. I did not go to my grad night at Disneyland. It was (and still is to some respects) a big disappointment. Why didn't I go? My best friend and I purchased the tickets but with the agreement that if some guy asked us to go we would accept and the other person could either go on her own or not. We were not popular back then and never got asked out so we really didn't ever imagine it would be a problem. Wrong. She got asked to go by some guy out of the blue and she accepted. That left me in the lurch. I was pretty insure back then and did not have the guts to go by myself so I turned my ticket back in. Instead my Mother and I went to see Mary Poppins which had just come out. Fast forward to years later. My friend and I have reconnected after many years and I shared with her my disappointment over us not going to grad night together. She never knew of my disappointment and told me that the night was not a success and she had an awful time with that guy and she wished she had stuck to her original plan to got with me.

So that is my one sad story about Disneyland.

• See you there!

Oh yeah, something subtle, but obvious...

I also miss the buring cabin with the settler with arrows in the back.

Maybe not PC, but still, something from the past of DL that is a part of the old DL to me.

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Loves Fajita!

I first went in 1985, when I was 6, and went almost annually up until 1993.

I did not return after that until 2006. I would say that I have fond memories of things long gone. CBJ, PM, the Swiss Family Treehouse, and most of all MSEP - I saw with my mom it on every one of my childhood visits.

The parade is my fondest DL childhood memory. My 2006 visit was late September, and I have booked for the last weekend of September 2007 as well. Therefore, it probably will not be running this year either - though it was a very busy weekend with Halloween time - they added a third fantasmic each night, and extended operating hours each night. Anyway, maybe its best to remember it as it was - on Mainstreet, and through my eyes as a child who was overwhelmed with wonder.

I missed DL so much on my hiatus. However, from what I read taking my DL break from the mid 90's till after the place was spruced up for the 50th may not have been such a bad thing. It looks like if you were going to take a 13 year break from the Happiest Place on Earth those were the years to do it.

• Merry 2014!

My first visit was in 1966 when I was 4 yrs. old. My family had moved to L.A. in the early part of the year and took my grandparents to Disneyland. I remember The mine train and skull rock and Peter Pan rides as my favorites. I also remember sitting next to my great grandmother on a bench at the hub, looking at the trees and the sky. I thought that it was weird the sky looked so blue insted of brown. That was the magic of Disney to my 4 year old eyes.

There are a lot of things I truly enjoy about the park these days, many of them have been presented by others. The thing I miss most is the showmanship the park used to present. Everyone in the cast bought into the idea that Disneyland was a bit like a grand improvised play with costumes and some scripted things and they knew who there characters were and what their mission was as a player. All of them created an immersive experience that is lacking today. Customer enjoyment was the focus. It wasn't only about the customer buying and spending as much money as possible; that was a neat side effect but not soley what Disneyland was about.

I also wish they had just updated and improved some rides and attractions instead of completely replacing them. Like America sings, Adventures through inner space, skull rock etc. Another thing that has been slowly eroded is some of the more spectacular scenery like the peak on TSI. I am sure there has been more, just can't think of any thing else off the top of my head.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    My first visit was in 1966 when I was 4 yrs. old. My family had moved to L.A. in the early part of the year and took my grandparents to Disneyland. I remember The mine train and skull rock and Peter Pan rides as my favorites. I also remember sitting next to my great grandmother on a bench at the hub, looking at the trees and the sky. I thought that it was weird the sky looked so blue insted of brown. That was the magic of Disney to my 4 year old eyes.

There are a lot of things I truly enjoy about the park these days, many of them have been presented by others. The thing I miss most is the showmanship the park used to present. Everyone in the cast bought into the idea that Disneyland was a bit like a grand improvised play with costumes and some scripted things and they knew who there characters were and what their mission was as a player. All of them created an immersive experience that is lacking today. Customer enjoyment was the focus. It wasn't only about the customer buying and spending as much money as possible; that was a neat side effect but not soley what Disneyland was about.

I also wish they had just updated and improved some rides and attractions instead of completely replacing them. Like America sings, Adventures through inner space, skull rock etc. Another thing that has been slowly eroded is some of the more spectacular scenery like the peak on TSI. I am sure there has been more, just can't think of any thing else off the top of my head.
    On busy days, it's often all you can do to just keep guests shoved through the rides, deal with irritated guests tired from waiting in long lines, deal with breakdowns, and on and on. It's gets hard to keep the magic under that kind of stress. That works against the 'immersive experience'. And its due to to much success, too many people in the parks at the same time. That atmosphere is a victim of its own success.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Much of the themeing has been eroded away around the edges and that just bugs me.
    Can you be specific? I'm not doubting what you say, I'm just curious what thematic elements have been lost.

• Animatronic

Wondering if Disneyland was really better in the "Good Old Days" is like wondering if Michael Jackson was better before his 10th nose job, or if Britney Spears was better before she shaved her head and went insane.

Disneyland is recovering and while many things are better, a lot is worse.

Theme: There use to be no evidence of fast pass machines, stroller parking lots, or churro carts. The rides looked like their concept art, which looked like the real deal.

Park: There use to be more water features, small walks, and things to discover. You encountered characters rather than waiting at a meet and greet. You could walk through the castle, or the fort on Tom Sawyer's Island.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast