Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Red Face Re: Was Disneyland really better in the "Good Old Days"?

In many ways I do think the “Good old days” were better. My first trip was at age 2 back in 1959 and although I grew up in the Bay Area, I took 20 trips to Disneyland before I moved down to Orange County in 1976.
    I think back in the days of the ABCDE tickets, the pace was slower and you savored every moment since you only had so many tickets to use. You took the time to view the parades and shows (they were “free”), and the corporate sponsored attractions in Tomorrowland (People Mover; Circlevision; Monsanto; C of P) were also a treat because not only were they free, they were a great place to go on a hot summer day. But one of the things I miss the most was the evenings over in New Orleans Sq., long before Fantasmic! created a nightmarish grid-lock situation every night. I lover going over to the “the quiet side of the park” after the fireworks and just relaxing with some dessert and coffee from Café Orleans or French Market and listening to the jazz quartet and watching as the Mark Twain drifted by. You really felt like you were in New Orleans! It was also a less crowded area to watch the fireworks, the show reflecting off the river. And the bonus was you could practically walk on to Pirates and Mansion! And if you wanted some excitement, just go back over to Tomorrowland for some upbeat music and dancing. Take you pick, you had it all!

• Disgruntled Former CM

Thumbs up Re: Was Disneyland really better in the "Good Old Days"?

[quote=BigThunder;1578850]Where to begin? Hmm.
    Well, just off the top of my head:

Tomorrowland used to be about an optimistic view of science and the future. Today that theme is significantly dilluted by abandoned tracks, Pixar cartoons, Star Wars and the loss of the entire World on the Move scenario.
    Fantasyland remains the best themed land in the park, mostly because its hard to screw up a place where almost anything is possible. As mentioned often elswhere on these boards, Skull Rock and Captain Hook's pirate ship are sorely missed and would make a welcome addition to the old Motorboat Cruise area. This is the Land where the cartoon characters and the Pooh Bears belong. Disney should keep them there.

I agree; TomorrowLand used to move; everywhere you looked, entire buildings turned, and things were zipping bye, soaring overhead, and swimming past you (in the Submarine Lagoon, hopefully...); when I took First Timers into TomorrowLand, I always took them on the PeopleMover first, and could listen to them discovering "Oh! Look at THAT!", "Let's ride THAT first!", "Can we actually go THERE?!"; It was like a trip through the Candy Store of the Future... Now, it always looks static, sterile, and devoid of "Life".

"Peter Pan" was always my nephew's favorite; hours I spent in that line, and each time we exited, all he would want was just one more time! I remember thinking that if Skull Rock and the Pirate Ship were still there, he would have spent all day climbing all over it... no lines, no huge crowds, just pure boyhood joy (and I would be able to sit and eat my tuna sandwich...); I think that the old Motor Boat Cruise area would be amazing reborn as a "Peter Pan" Pirate ship / Skull Rock / "Little Mermaid" play area (the two movies even cross over a wee bit), and that area leading up to Small World has always been such a blighted and forgotten site. Personnally, I would love to see FantasyLand extended into the area occupied by the Hunchback Carnival area (if it is even still there...); maybe other Disney Classics could have a home / attraction in FantasyLand as well: I picture a beautiful themed cobblestoned area featuring Cinderella, Beauty & the Beast, and Fantasia gardens - and it could provide a "back door" into an expanded Toon Town...

Alas, I don't remember my first trip to Disneyland (1964?); I grew up in the OC, and both my parents were CMs - at different times. I feel as though I 'grew up' there, and saw many of my first Disney Classic feature films in the Lincoln Theatre - after the park had closed for the day...
    Last edited by EvilQueen; 04-04-2007 at 03:04 PM.

• Official Mice Chat person

Re: Was Disneyland really better in the "Good Old Days"?

First of all, I only go to disneyland about once a year.I think the "good old days" are simply one's personal childhood experience. My first trip was in 97, and believe it or not... to me the 'good old days' are back when tomorrowland was brown and rocket rods were new. And to tell the honest truth, those are the trips I had the most fun on. Because I was a little kid. I think I'm alone with thinking the 'good old days' were 98 tomorrowland. But for me, it makes sense.

• He dort Herausgeberkerl!

Well, I've been to the Park off and on since 1966. I've had Annual Passes of various vintages and don't at the moment. My longest day in the park was for the 35th Anniversary from opening to closing. My shortest day was the same year at 30 seconds. I was just in the area and stopped in to see if I had won a prize. I didn't.

From that perspective, yes, the Park has changed for better and for worse over the years. Don't think anyone will disagree on that.

But back in the days before all-in-one passports, I think that ticket books tended to keep lines shorter at attractions. Most folks I went with in those day just used the tickets they got with the book and rarely purchased more. When we went multiple days, we bought ticket books for each day. And with a family of seven, that wasn't a cheap purchase even then.

As for other aspects, I think that some of what folks considered classic attractions such as the Natures Wonderland Mine Train or the Mule Train attractions were really not as special as people make them out to be. The Fifties were on the down side of the Western craze even with tv shows like Bonanza. And until the new Tomorrowland of the 70's, things there were pretty grim. Let's be real. The Rocket to the Moon was about the top end of the attraction state of the art there. Even with all of the complaints about today's Tomorrowland, it is head and shoulders above the 50's and 60's versions.

One can make a case for all kinds of aspects in one era versus the other as to good, bad or indifferent. But one area that I do think has changed all not for the better is the Guest. Once folks went to take in all of the magic that was a day at Disneyland. There was less of an attitude as in "what can I get for free" or "get away with". If someone went to City Hall to register a complaint, it was usually not a trivial matter. Today? I've had to walk out of the building to stop from laughing over some of the issues. The CM's who work there earn every cent and then some. And I certainly think that the whole AP, especially cheaper local passes has created a drop-off generation of Guests with all of the associated issues.

I'm not one of those people who wants my DL experience to be the same as it was on that first trip back in 1966. But I do want everyone to have a good time while they're there. I just wish that my idea of a good time (fun with family and friends) was good enough for them, too. After all, isn't that what Walt wanted?
    "Now, it's garbage." Oscar Madison, "The Odd Couple"

www.theblueparrot.info

Disney, Pop Culture and Entertainment. 6 Days A Week.

• He dort Herausgeberkerl!

Quote Originally Posted by KENfromOC View Post
    But one of the things I miss the most was the evenings over in New Orleans Sq., long before Fantasmic! created a nightmarish grid-lock situation every night. I lover going over to the “the quiet side of the park” after the fireworks and just relaxing with some dessert and coffee from Café Orleans or French Market and listening to the jazz quartet and watching as the Mark Twain drifted by. You really felt like you were in New Orleans! It was also a less crowded area to watch the fireworks, the show reflecting off the river. And the bonus was you could practically walk on to Pirates and Mansion! And if you wanted some excitement, just go back over to Tomorrowland for some upbeat music and dancing. Take you pick, you had it all!
    Now that's a favored memory here as well. Teddy Buckner and his Jazz All-Stars playing at the French Market. Listening to great jazz while enjoying a Disneyland Mint Julep or 3 and a big choux fritter. And being able to walk onto the Haunted Mansion at midnight for a quiet visit, without other guests repeating every word of the audio...

Ah, the good old days.
    "Now, it's garbage." Oscar Madison, "The Odd Couple"

www.theblueparrot.info

Disney, Pop Culture and Entertainment. 6 Days A Week.

First trip 1967 at age 2.Once a year trip with parents through mid 70's.Loved the old mine ride and 1967 Tomorrowland.Loved Country Bear Jamboree.Dancing to Papa Doo Run Run at Tomorrowland Terrace/Space Stage as a teenager back in the late 70's and early 80's.Loved America on Parade.Loved watching the ORIGINAL New Mouseketeers perform at the park in 77 and 78. Julie Piekarski will forever be my first crush. Summer of 78 show rocked.Watching top name pop bands perform on the River Stage.Those were MY Good ol Day's!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Parrot View Post
    Well, I've been to the Park off and on since 1966. I've had Annual Passes of various vintages and don't at the moment. My longest day in the park was for the 35th Anniversary from opening to closing. My shortest day was the same year at 30 seconds. I was just in the area and stopped in to see if I had won a prize. I didn't.

From that perspective, yes, the Park has changed for better and for worse over the years. Don't think anyone will disagree on that.

But back in the days before all-in-one passports, I think that ticket books tended to keep lines shorter at attractions. Most folks I went with in those day just used the tickets they got with the book and rarely purchased more. When we went multiple days, we bought ticket books for each day. And with a family of seven, that wasn't a cheap purchase even then.

As for other aspects, I think that some of what folks considered classic attractions such as the Natures Wonderland Mine Train or the Mule Train attractions were really not as special as people make them out to be. The Fifties were on the down side of the Western craze even with tv shows like Bonanza. And until the new Tomorrowland of the 70's, things there were pretty grim. Let's be real. The Rocket to the Moon was about the top end of the attraction state of the art there. Even with all of the complaints about today's Tomorrowland, it is head and shoulders above the 50's and 60's versions.

One can make a case for all kinds of aspects in one era versus the other as to good, bad or indifferent. But one area that I do think has changed all not for the better is the Guest. Once folks went to take in all of the magic that was a day at Disneyland. There was less of an attitude as in "what can I get for free" or "get away with". If someone went to City Hall to register a complaint, it was usually not a trivial matter. Today? I've had to walk out of the building to stop from laughing over some of the issues. The CM's who work there earn every cent and then some. And I certainly think that the whole AP, especially cheaper local passes has created a drop-off generation of Guests with all of the associated issues.

I'm not one of those people who wants my DL experience to be the same as it was on that first trip back in 1966. But I do want everyone to have a good time while they're there. I just wish that my idea of a good time (fun with family and friends) was good enough for them, too. After all, isn't that what Walt wanted?
    This really brings back memories. I remember when I was a kid my mom would take me. She always kept unused ticket books from previous trips in a drawer in her jewelry case and we would use those in addition to the tickets we got when we went to the park. I remember she would just buy a "shopping pass" for herself which meant she could get in and not have any tickets to go on rides. We had the A-E tickets and we got to go on the rides, and my mother liked shopping at Pendleton -- back in those days they actually had a store that sold regular, non-Disney themed clothes -- while we went on the rides. I remember that store. She loved it. They sold western style clothing, and I remember the smell of it. It had such a unique smell to it... Ahh. The memories!

• First visit was 1960

My first real visit that I remember well was 1960. I was a babe in arms in 1957. Then agian in 1964, 1965, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1994, 1998, and finally 2004. I wish I could go all of the time like some of you locals, but alas I am a poor tourist type.
    Sure I miss some things from the 60's like the mine train, sky ride etc. but for me it is always great place to and I look forward to every visit, well except for Tommorrow Land. It used to be the best.
    I hope to make it in 2008.
    Anyway, if it just stayed the same forever why go? I like changes.

• Banned User

I've been going to DLand since I was a child in the '70's. My Dad and Stepmom always tell me a story about the time they took me and my brother one weekend and supposedly I jumped into a flower bed and started pulling up all the flowers all excited and happy about being at Disneyland. I don't remember doing that. But whenever there's a family get together, there's always a few relatives who were there that day who bring it up.

Disneyland was great when I was a kid. I like some of the changes, but not many. I think Disneyland seemed better when I was a kid because a lot of the new attractions and/or changes aren't better than what it used to be.
    Last edited by grrandram; 04-05-2007 at 02:16 PM.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Sad Re: Was Disneyland really better in the "Good Old Days"?

My first trip was in 1978. I was 8 and turned 9 while I was there.

I remember my Mom and sister sharing an orange tinted room at the Howard Johnsons. Although we could see the pool, we never went. I would spend my time watching a young couple playing a state-of-the-art Pong game in the lobby.

Once, as we waited for a bus going to somewhere magical, a car completly covered with coins drove up. I thought everything in California was somehow magical. There was even a store there ---- that was open 24 hours a day..... unthinkable.

My memories of the park are fewer but distinct, I remember being on the subs most.

I also remember that when we returned home, my father left.

Am I looking through Rose Coloured glasses, no. But I still pity that new 9 year old and how magic and reality clashed so quickly.

Disney Road

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345