• Senior Minion

New DCA Restaurant ideas

One of the problems with DCA is that your mealtime choices are pretty much feast or famine--either it's fast food, or sitting outside with a soup/bread bowl or similar, or you're going to pay through the nose for a sit down dinner.

The discussion of the Christmas parade moving to DCA (and the snow) brought to mind a great idea for a Californian-themed restaurant: one centered around the Donner Party. Serve barbecue. Call it the Alferd Packer Cafeteria.

Or a Twilight Zone Grill, where the food disappears before your eyes...

• Minion

I attended the previews, private parties and opening day ceremony for DCA and have eaten at all the restaurants except for Taste Pilots Grill. Hollywood and Dine, while having decent food, I found to be sorely lacking in theming. Those cheesy little vignettes of set pieces they scattered around just didn't work and the impression was more of a food court or school cafeteria.

It would've been great if they had resurrected The Brown Derby Restaurant. It's been a Hollywood Icon during its decades long success, the exterior was already themed and would've made a good addition to the Backlot.

Cobb Salad anyone?

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    The Brown Derby they built at MGM is great...HPB, in particular, needs a nice sit-down restaurant, and it has INFINITE possibilities. Then they need to throw a counter service place into the Bay Area, since there is absolutely nothing there, but I'm sure enough room for a small place to eat. DCA needs something besides Fast Food...that's what I like about DL--you can get your chicken fingers if you want them, but you can also get a mint julep if you are in the mood--DCA doesn't have much in the way of themed fast food, excepting maybe Pacific Wharf.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

I'm sticking with my suggestion from 5 years ago.... Donner Party Grill in GRR area.

• e komo mai

Sci Fi Drive-In and 50's Primetime Cafe from WDW...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    I'm sticking with my suggestion from 5 years ago.... Donner Party Grill in GRR area.
    They could use the annual "Road Kill" from Harbor and Katella!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel
    They'd have to serve ribs. Of course, with food service as slow as it's been, you'd probably wind up with the cold shoulder.

(Apologies to the JC spiel).

• What have I done?

Yeah the area over at Hollywood and Dine is just aching for somethng new! Maybe with the opening of Monster Inc. we can see something?

BTW Desertdweller Taste Pilots is a great place to eat... and for me its great to eat on the cheap there too!

"This guy!"

• That's Hawt

Ok, I live about five miles from where the Donner Party camped and I find the suggestion of a Donner Party Diner absolutely disgusting, repulsive, and insulting. I think that it is horrible that people would want to poke fun at something so sad and demeaning to many people.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s