Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Animatronic

I would not place Disneyland's problems on the whole country or even WDI, although Disneyland does seem to be suffering from the same lack of understanding of talent and no guts that many American companies suffer from.

Like any other group of people on Earth, there are some folks at WDI that are smart and creative and do their jobs well and others that don't. Unfortunately, for the past 10 years a group of very non-creative yes men have been running WDI.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz
    Like any other group of people on Earth, there are some folks at WDI that are smart and creative and do their jobs well and others that don't. Unfortunately, for the past 10 years a group of very non-creative yes men have been running WDI.

For that outburst, I will report you to your Imagineering manangement (unless you ARE the management!)
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB
    Okay, I'm everyone has already come to this conclussion already and I'm stating the obvious here. But it seems like ever since the TL refurb in 98 (that bombed horribly) that the Disney Execs and Imagineers have completely lost any imagination or passion when it comes to new attractions or rides. Let's take a look at the attractions over the last couple years.

DCA- Mostly overglorified carny rides you can find anywhere else. If not that, they were clones of WDW rides. The only real noteworthy somewhat original ride is "Soaring", and that's still a simulator.

MAWP- Everyone knows the flop that was "The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh", which is just a clone anyways. A HORRIBLE one at that.

TOT: A clone of a WDW ride.

BLAB: A clone

Nemo Subs- Just a re-do of an old attraction, probably just going to add Nemo characters and that will be all.

People Mover- Just a re-do

Monsters Inc.- Now I'll admit that this is actually original and not a clone. But still it's just a dark ride and it just seems like it's another ride to make money off Pixar movies and characters.

Now what happened to AA in rides? what happened to coming up with original ideas for rides instead of just "let's make this a dark ride" or "let's send in a clone from WDW" or "Let's just bring back this ride and add a pixar character"?
    I mean seriously, it is getting semi ridiculous on how lazy Disney has gotten with their "ideas".

And I know that we got a great new Prez coming in named Matt, but it's going to take more than just him. The whole management needs to be overhauled and replaced with people who just aren't out to make money, it needs to be replaced with people who actually "care" about the traditions and values the park is based on not about making new stores. Also, they need Imagineers who aren't going to CUT CORNERS becasue a task is too diffucult. Pooh wouldn't have been crappy, if the people building it and transporting it were putting a hundred and ten percent into it, same goes for DCA and other flops within the park.

I'm sorry to be going off on a rant but I want to see a return to tradition in the resort. More rides that feature AA, because those are the most popular rides. More rides that are based on a original concept not on what has been done before or based off a pixar character. I mean the possibilities for new attractions are endless, I know alot of people on these boards have already come up with Disney worthy ride ideas that are original. So with we can come up with original ideas for attractions for the park, why can't management and Imagineers do so as well?
    The Bob it was great to meet you at the meet on 6-11. I understand and agree COMPLETELY with what your saying. Mice Age used to have some links to articles written on this very subject. One article explained how the management structure at WDI has drasticly changed and how hard it is to get new ideas through the approval process that has been set up.
    The articles were very enlightning. I will see if I can find a link and forward it to you.

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB
    Okay, I'm everyone has already come to this conclussion already and I'm stating the obvious here. But it seems like ever since the TL refurb in 98 (that bombed horribly) that the Disney Execs and Imagineers have completely lost any imagination or passion when it comes to new attractions or rides. Let's take a look at the attractions over the last couple years.

DCA- Mostly overglorified carny rides you can find anywhere else. If not that, they were clones of WDW rides. The only real noteworthy somewhat original ride is "Soaring", and that's still a simulator.

MAWP- Everyone knows the flop that was "The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh", which is just a clone anyways. A HORRIBLE one at that.

BLAB: A clone

Nemo Subs- Just a re-do of an old attraction, probably just going to add Nemo characters and that will be all.

People Mover- Just a re-do

Monsters Inc.- Now I'll admit that this is actually original and not a clone. But still it's just a dark ride and it just seems like it's another ride to make money off Pixar movies and characters.

Now what happened to AA in rides? what happened to coming up with original ideas for rides instead of just "let's make this a dark ride" or "let's send in a clone from WDW" or "Let's just bring back this ride and add a pixar character"?
    I mean seriously, it is getting semi ridiculous on how lazy Disney has gotten with their "ideas".

And I know that we got a great new Prez coming in named Matt, but it's going to take more than just him. The whole management needs to be overhauled and replaced with people who just aren't out to make money, it needs to be replaced with people who actually "care" about the traditions and values the park is based on not about making new stores. Also, they need Imagineers who aren't going to CUT CORNERS becasue a task is too diffucult. Pooh wouldn't have been crappy, if the people building it and transporting it were putting a hundred and ten percent into it, same goes for DCA and other flops within the park.

I'm sorry to be going off on a rant but I want to see a return to tradition in the resort. More rides that feature AA, because those are the most popular rides. More rides that are based on a original concept not on what has been done before or based off a pixar character. I mean the possibilities for new attractions are endless, I know alot of people on these boards have already come up with Disney worthy ride ideas that are original. So with we can come up with original ideas for attractions for the park, why can't management and Imagineers do so as well?
    I just checked Mice Age and it looks like the older articles have been archived but may be comming out on CD sometime soon.

For those of you who have the time or interest to read it, here's the story of what happened to WDI. This is almost a year old and does not give you a perfect picture of what WDI is like today (it places too much blame on Don Goodman, when the blame should be spread around a little...to people like Tom Fitzgerald), but it will give you a very very very good idea of what happened...

http://savedisney.com/news/editorials/tm081904.1.asp

• For old time sake

Might be a clone but Holy smokes it is one FANTASTIC ride!!!!!!

While I agree that there is a loss of originality in regards to rides, is it not true that you can ride most of the same rides at DL and WDW?? HM, SM, BTMRR, IASW, HISTA, etc????
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    While I agree for the most part with THEBOB's post I don't think this applies to just Disney. It's a general malaise in a country that has become so politically correct that it's ridiculous.

Mediocrity is the order of the day. TV is nearly unwatchable, everything is being recycled, rewritten or remade. Just look at the upcoming film releases and see the number of remakes of old films or ones based on a TV series.

For anyone in MC who has been moaning about the demise of 2D animation, watch this weekend's release of "Howl's Moving Castle" and look for its posted grosses on Monday. I would bet that it won't even make the charts.

Bless Disney for even releasing this wonderful film in the U.S. for people like me to see, but like Myazaki's previous film "Spritied Away," the majority of filmgoers will avoid this film like the plague. In reality, I'd love to see people showing support for animation by filling the theaters and showing Disney that there still is an audience for what the company was built upon.
    Disney's plunge into the creative blackhole has a lot to do with society's drop. A lot of people don't realize it, but Disney has IMMENSE control over society. Just look at Universal Studios and other theme parks built in the early 90's and they'll mimic Disney's unique style of entertainment. Disney has traditionally set the standard for entertainment through theme parks, movies, TV, and even music. The fact that TV networks and movie studios don't have to compete with a powerhouse like Disney once was makes it MUCH easier for those industries to be lazy. Not to mention there's now an entire young generation that's grown up on the basic-cable Disney Channel and Disney sequels. They don't know a world where Disney Channel was a *premium* service and they certainly don't remember Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast being released. They have come to expect very little of Disney.

It is sad and disgraceful how "Spirited Away" was most certainly "spirited away" by American movie audiences. I'm not one of those 'elitist' anime fans, I know what I like and I stick by it. But I have to say that I am very upset how people in this country didn't even give the film a chance, all while the Japanese embraced the film and rightfully so since it blows away Ice Age and Shrek II and all that computer stuff. Howl's Moving Castle has already made over $200 million in Japan and it's being released over here. We'll see how it does, but I guarantee you guys it won't be making $200 million. I haven't seen it yet, but I know that once Disney releases it on DVD, it will be one amazing film just like the other amazing efforts Disney has gone through to bring the other Studio Ghibli films to America.

I would like to add that to the mainstream's defense, Spirited Away was not a heavily advertised film and the only reason I knew about it was through the Academy Awards presentation. I am so glad Disney has taken the time and immense effort to bring these films to the US. The voices are always perfectly suited and the dialog always changed to fit the lip syncing and American culture. If you guys are interesting in Spirited Away, I highly recommend "Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind". It is emotionally and dramatically on par with Spirited Away and, like Sen of Spirited Away, Nausicaa's voice is not only perfectly suited to the character, it has a very 'innocent' aspect to it. I'm sorry I cannot elaborate more, but I think the American actresses who voiced those 2 characters had a very unique and charming voice.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 06-11-2005 at 09:46 AM.

• Official Mice Chat person

"Disneyland will always be complete as long is there is greed left in the world"

It's not the imagineers fault, they are some of the most creative people in the world. The people in charge of budget are the ones that arn't creative, and they don't give the imagineers enough budget to build what they can really build. But Matt Seems to be letting them have more money for ideas they have as of late. Little improvements like on HM and POTCB and JC etc. You think if a bigger budget from Matt wasn't there that we would have buzz lightyear on line, and a free service where you can email your on ride photo to friends? Imagineers have some great fresh ideas, that just need the money to be built!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    For that outburst, I will report you to your Imagineering manangement (unless you ARE the management!)
    I never claimed to work for Imagineering--there are other ways to be on the inside.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Howl's Moving Castle has already made over $200 million in Japan and it's being released over here. We'll see how it does, but I guarantee you guys it won't be making $200 million. I haven't seen it yet, but I know that once Disney releases it on DVD, it will be one amazing film just like the other amazing efforts Disney has gone through to bring the other Studio Ghibli films to America.
    Victoria and I saw Howl's Moving Castle yesterday at the El Capitan and were blown away. Visually stunning... marvelous and quirky. This is the kind of stuff Disney should be doing. The trailers for Disney's 3D cgi stuff looked cheezy and cheap compared.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• My cuties!

What is BLAB?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. (I love this acronym!)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• My cuties!

Duh -- I should have figured that out! Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12