Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Tours

Star Tours

i notice that in the queue, ur going up. and my question is. . . why is there need to go up. is there something under the motion vehicles??? random but i just wanna know!!
    pshhh i guess

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: Star Tours

The simulators are off the ground so that they can move up and down, back and forth, and tip forwards and back without hitting the ground.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

ahhh thank you. that was a big DUH lol
    pshhh i guess

• Still lost in Neverland

The ride simulators actually do sit in a big pit and that allows them to be level with the boarding ramps. When the ride starts and your Star Speeder is being raised up, the ride simulator is actually raising up as well so that all that motion won't bang into the ramps and floors and such. At the end, when the Star Speeder is being lowered down, the ride simulator is being lowered back down into the default load/unload position. The tipping and and movement of the simulator is quite extreme. For instance, in that first part of the ride when Rex goes the wrong way and you break through the doors and it looks like you are falling head first, you are. The simulator is tipped to almost a 90% angle. That's why you have to wear seat belts. During the ride the tipping up and down and side to side is really quite varied and sometimes is very steep. I have a video of the actual movements of the simulator set up in the Glendale Warehouse of Imagineering and it shows the ride from both the actual viewpoint of the simulator while the ride video is seen in the lower right hand corner. You can clearly see the simulator movements are very extreme and the hydraulic mechanism is very large and it's really a beautiful piece of machinery.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Know More Than You Should

Cool; would you be willing to share that video Lost Boy? I PMd you.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I have a video of the actual movements of the simulator set up in the Glendale Warehouse of Imagineering and it shows the ride from both the actual viewpoint of the simulator while the ride video is seen in the lower right hand corner. You can clearly see the simulator movements are very extreme and the hydraulic mechanism is very large and it's really a beautiful piece of machinery.
    I would LOVE to see that video. Where did you get it? Is it available online anywhere?

• Star Tours Fan

Last edited by Blueharvest1138; 03-31-2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: more info

• Know More Than You Should

Quote Originally Posted by Blueharvest1138 View Post
    That's cool. I actually had a chance to watch Star Tours from backstage in Disneyland Paris once; but that was many years ago and I don't really remember.

As for Lost Boy's vid, he says that it's on a videotape which he will try to find, but he makes no promises.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Star Tours

The ride simulators actually ... are very extreme and the hydraulic mechanism is very large and it's really a beautiful piece of machinery.
    Well, it was in 1987 but I'm kind of over it. I would like a whole new Starspeeder system or Soarin technology to replace this attraction with Star Tours 2.0

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

The ride simulators actually do sit in a big pit and that allows them to be level with the boarding ramps. When the ride starts and your Star Speeder is being raised up, the ride simulator is actually raising up as well so that all that motion won't bang into the ramps and floors and such. At the end, when the Star Speeder is being lowered down, the ride simulator is being lowered back down into the default load/unload position.
    Actually you stay at the same level, the load and exit ramps are the ones that move as you can see in the youtube video. It is not in a pit, you are in one of four large open rooms that are dark when you enter so you can't see anything. Once the doors close you can hear the ramps moving up and out of the way and then all the motion is on the piviot arms. Then when you stop and you have to wait to unbuckle you can hear the whine of the ramps moving back into place. If you ever get daring and want to try and see take a good flash picture when you enter from the holding area to the cabin or when you exit. Also in that video you can see the front of the cabin with the film run on the front part.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• Now 40% less bitter!

In Disneyland, the Starspeeders are in four-story high rooms. As guests are loading, the Starspeeders are pretty close to the top of the room. When the door closes and the film starts, that whirring noise is the sound of the ramps going up to the ceiling. The Starspeeder is raised a little bit, and the first drop is indeed straight down. If you ever see it in person, it's a pretty awesome thing. Even if the technology may seem outdated to some. This is why the CMs are so serious about the height restrictions for riders, and why pregnant women are strongly encouraged (but unfortunately not forced) to avoid riding this ride.
    Should something happen during the ride that forces it to shut down, it's a serious thing, because it has to be taken care of manually.
    Oo-de-lally!

I've been in the room for the Disneyland Star Tours cabin on one of the cast member nights. I believe it was for the preview of new Tomorrowland. It was great to watch, I remember the room being huge, the cabin being tilted all over the place, and the film running all over the front (and maybe the back) of the cabin.

Very cool for me, as Star Tours is still my favorite attraction.

look what i've found on YouTube .

[youtube]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYpyvOKqMw8"></param><param">http://www.youtube.com/v/dYpyvOKqMw8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dYpyvOKqMw8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    HKDL : Done !!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

/\
    That is pretty cool.

• Grim Grinning Ghost

Just a random Star Tours thought I had while in line for Space Mtn. the other day.
    I think they should take that huge X-Wing thats on the top floor Starcade and put it out front/on top of the Star Tours hub like they have at Disneyland Paris or MGM Studios with the giant AT-AT. Think it would give it that little extra "magic" touch. Just a suggestion and interested to see if anyone else agrees with that idea-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast