Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

14 Years of Toons

Fourteen Years of Toons: Before 1991, Disneyland was all about originality. It didnt promote anything and never created any merchandising gimmick attractions. It was all about being an american original with attractions like Star Tours, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Tiki Room, Rocket to the Moon, House of the Future, Skyway, Pirates of the Caribbean etc. Until 1992, the lost that originality and created a whole park off of promotion and cartoons. Disneyland is turing into a toony land and is dissapearing from its American originality.

1991:

Disney Afternoon Avenue is created to boost up viewers of the old Disney block of shows on local television.

1992:

The World according of Goofy parade.

Fantasmic: A show based on cartoon villains and Mickey Mouse.

1993:
    Aladdin's Oasis resteraunt debuts to help promte Disney's new film.

Aladdin's Royal Carvan parade as well.

Mickey's Toontown: A whole land dedicated to cartoons.

1994:
    Lion King Celebration debuts to help promote Disney's new film.

1995:
    Pooh's first home is created in Disneyland, a store called Pooh Corner.

1996:
    Toy Story funhouse is created as a promotion to the new movie.

Alpine Gardens is turned into Triton Gardens.

Festival of Fools debuts to promote Disney's new film.

Spirit of Pocohntas debuts to promte the film.

1997:
    Aladdin's Oasis changes from a resteraunt into just a stage show and greet area.

Hercules Victory Parade debuts to promote Disney's new film.

Light Magic: A show based on Disney toons in a forest. I dont know, this show was just terrible

1998:
    Mulan Parade is created to promote Disney's new film.

1999:
    Swiss Family Treehouse is converted into Tarzan's Treehouse to promote Disney's new film.

2000:
    Woody's Roundup is introduced to the Golden Horseshoe to promte Toy Story 2.

2001:
    Tomorrowland Terrace changes into Club Buzz with a show to help promote his new show"Buzz Lightyear of Star Command".

The Nightmare Before Christmas gets into The Haunted Mansion's christmas slot.

2002:
    Mickey's Detective School, a new kids show that wasn't very entertaining, just a no nonsense toon show.

2003:
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh finds a new home in Disneyland, one of the cheaset attractions DL has ever created, more of a pooh merchandising gimmick.

Pooh Corner expands enourmously, taking out two original CC favorites.

2004:
    "Little Patch of Heaven" is open to promote Home on the Range.

2005:
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters debuts.

Various toon related stores have opened throughout these years.

Coming soon: Finding Nemo

Rumored: Autopia rennovation into "Cars"

How do you feel about this toon invasion ever since 1991?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• UnExiled Minion

Disney mostly makes animated films (or distributes with its name, using the name to garner more business). It's half of the core business.

Disneyland is a synergistic byproduct of the other half of the core business. With every family-oriented film (the Miramax stuff might not apply), there should be some tie-in with DL or DCA. Not for the park's sake, but for the company's sake.

When Disney makes the next great live-action, family-acceptable miniseries, something maybe along the lines of Davy Crockett, there should be a complementary attraction in Disneyland, if only temporary. I don't know if a "Lost"- or Desperate Housewives"-themed attraction would be appropriate.

Um:
    1990-something: HISTA, based on live action movies "Honey I Shrunk <insert something>".

Maybe there are other things you've forgotten on your list?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Fourteen Years of Toons: Before 1991, Disneyland was all about originality. It didnt promote anything and never created any merchandising gimmick attractions. It was all about being an american original with attractions like Star Tours, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Tiki Room, Rocket to the Moon, House of the Future, Skyway, Pirates of the Caribbean etc. Until 1992, the lost that originality and created a whole park off of promotion and cartoons. Disneyland is turing into a toony land and is dissapearing from its American originality.
    Ummm, I disagree. I think if you look back, you can see that promoting and basing things off of Disney features has ALWAYS been a part of Disneyland. Let's see:
    Here are some examples of promotion/ tie ins before 1991:

•Sleeping Beauty Castle- the name itself was in order to promote Walt Disney's next feature film, Sleeping Beauty.
    •Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes- the popular TV series- I beleive the hats were a huge seller.
    •Swiss Family Treehouse- not "original"- based off the Swiss Family Robinson
    •Babes in Toyland Exhibit- on Main Street (I don't have any info on this, but believe it was to promote the upcoming film?
    •"Love Bug Day"- promotion of Herbie
    •Basically all of Fantasyland
    • Star Tours- not sure how this is completely original- it's based off of pre-existing characters.
    I'm sure others can think of more

And there also have been toons in Disneyland for awhile (although I agree, not as many as there are now)

-Once again, most of fantasyland
    -The Flights of Fantasy Parade
    -The MSEP
    -Mickey's 60th Birthday Parade
    -The Party Gras parade
    -Splash Mountain

Finally, there are other things that happened since 1991 that did not have any toons in them, as sediment mentioned. What about Indiana Jones? The New TL of 98?

I agree that there may be an abundance of toons and tie-ins at the moment, but I just feel it's unfair to say that it "didn't promote anything" prior to 1991.

• Minion

At first I was ready to dismiss this thread as a lot of others have similar titles, but after seeing a list, it really is disappointing. I am violently opposed to the Nemo subs, and Disney Presents a Pixarification of a Disney California Psuedo Inspired Theme Park doesn't go well with me either...

Unfortunately, I see nothing but toons in our future as elements such as "theme" and "originality' are forgotten by a generation of hyper, action oriented kids.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market
    DL Craze, I'm sorry, this is off topic and I may be misinterpreting things, but do you really think that Michael Jackson is "ahead of his time" like it says in your avatar?

Also, I don't think it's entirely fair to include parades in your list. Disneyland parades have pretty much always featured the characters, and I think that's perfectly forgivable. There is a demand to see these characters, and this demand should be met, although maybe not to the point of over-saturation that we see in the park today.

• Minion

Well as some of you know, I used to be a hostess at the Tahitian Terrace. It apparently was our last summer (my only summer) and failed to let any of us know that it was being changed into Aladdin's Oasis. The Tahitian Terrace was original in my opinion and it did extremely well every summer, especially the year I was there. I do not think that attractions or whatever should be changed if it does extremely well. For certain attractions that have lost interest among the guests however, it should be looked over and possibly replaced. I mean as much as I loved Country Bear Jamboree, there wasn't that many people who stood in line for hours to watch it and with much sadness it had to go. But Winnie the Pooh??? I don't think so. My kids love it but they are kids.

I do think that there needs to be some marketing in the park for the newest animated feature but not as a replacement of something that is still doing well in the park. I don't mind the parades since parades can be deemed as something temporary.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I have said this before and, now, we'll say it again--

ORWEN: --we wouldn't care if EVERY attraction at Disneyland was based on a Disney movie.

ORDDU: Our only complaint is in the quality of the attraction, itself. The quality of so many newer theme park attractions has suffered tremendously for all kinds of reasons. Winnie the Pooh, for instance, was built on the cheap in America. But if you ever talk to someone who's seen the Tokyo Disneyland version, their reactions are always positive because, supposedly, that particular version is amazing--on the scale of a Pirates of the Caribbean.

ORWEN: So, really, the theme of an attraction is less important than it's quality. If it's done well you will end up liking it--even if it IS based on 'toons'. (And, by the way, us cauldron girls happen to be animated characters, ourselves, and we resent the idea that Disney characters have come under attack, recently, for being found or being honored in the very theme park that's supposed to be their HOME!!!)

ORDDU: Indeed! It's like going to a wedding and complaining over the fact that the bride showed up!!

• Minion

Totally agree, WoM! It is called DISNEYland!

• Banned User

Whenever a parade in a Disney Theme park is WITHOUT characters, everyone freaks out. It has been a tradition since Disney began, how can character parades be un-original?

Jepple, I think MJ is ahead of his time in a wierd way. Like in todays standards, wer'e not ready for his wierd ways.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Well, it's not that there's no originality in some of these attractions, maybe its just I feel that there is alot of intended promotion in some of them.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market
    I guess I can see what you mean.

Whether he's ahead of his time or not, he's beyond me, and that's for sure.

• Official Mice Chat person

I think Mrs.Newseditor44 has it right on. They shouldn't replace things that are already doing well.

I don't mind the toons all that much, people now-a-days expect to come to a Disney park and see Disney characters. I know Buzz lightyear in it's self isn't futuristic, but it's a great ride so I am really glad they built it. If they do it good, like WoM said, more power to them. But as of now, I don't think they should put anymore toon rides after the subs. (I personally don't think they should do nemo subs at all, but that's not my decision) They should give us an un-tie-in E-ticket, and I'll be more than happy. They need a good balance of the tie-in toon rides and the non tie-in rides.

• is confuzzled.

If your against cartoons in Fantasyland what do you suggest they put in the fantasyland theatre?
    BTW:1998 Animazement

Haha, well I dont know what I'm really trying to say, I got kinda confused with my own thread. Well, im not against the cartoons being in Fantasyland. I mean, yeah, thats there home. But there moving rapidly across the Fantasyland/Toontown perimiter. Maybe what I'm trying to get at is Adventureland/Frontierland/New Orleans Square/Critter Country and Tomorrowland were never about cartoons, but somehow, they crossed the line and invaded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast