Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Creative Director

Need Opinions- What you want in future Parades!!!

Hey there,

I am trying to get some opinions and comments on this subject:

What would all of you like to see in future Disney parades?

This can include everything from costumes to floats to music to theme/motif.
    Please, please by specific and thoroughly describe what you would like to see.
    This is about future parades, not the current ones running.

thanks
    tcsnwhite

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market
    Audience interaction.

Parade of Dreams does it minimally, but Block Party Bash excells in it. Interaction with the audience gives off an energy that is incredibly infectious and makes for an all together better parade.

• Rock Star Minion

Get a video of Lion King Celebration parade. Then figure it out.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Creative Director

I have that parade video, thank you very much.

What I am looking for are people's specific ideas/opinions of what they would like to see.
    but I see where you're coming from.

• Lovin' Life!

Party Gras was a GIANT hit...the music, the interaction with the spectators, totally upbeat and fun! Make it an annual Summer Celebration...complete with the beads, coins, etc!

By the way....I'll bet you could sell a DVD of previous parades at Disneyland (DL only...don't include other parks.....) ... oh, and you can leave out Light Magic!
    ....it all began with a Mouse...

• Videographer

What I really liked about Mulan and PoD is the fact the Parade has multiple things to see.

Mulan - acrobats, street dancers, sword play

PoD - trampline, rope, bungee

Also missing from current parades is the sheer grandure of the former parades. 76 Trombines literally meant 76 trombones. The Marching Soldiers were impressive by the sheer number.

Don't give us a couple Disney characters - empty out the costume room. Keeps things lively, flashy, inspiring.

I hope that is specific enough for you.

RU

maybe a parade of attraction floats, with the characters on looking like they're actually riding the ride. Disney sells toys of the characters riding the rides and I think they sell pretty good
    wdw-87 fort wilderness with fam.
    00 off property with future wife
    00 carribean beach with fam. for x-mas
    01 all star ask her to marry me also x-mas
    02 off property with inlaws
    03 polynesian with wife and fam. 3 days from wed.
    06 port orleans french quarters with wife for one day

• The one, the only...

What Makes Great Disney Parades

I think that there are a set of things that make a great Disney parade:

1) Characters—*Kids and adults love the Disney characters. Pixar are fine, but the Disney ones are better for Kids and adults. They should be both on the floats and walking the street. I have noticed that lately the best characters are not walking the street any more and interacting with the kids. I think that is a shame.

2) Music— As the electrical parade proves, a great unique song can add the Disney magic. A good soundtrack has both elements of proven Disney music hits but also can have unique theme song. What you want is people humming the song after the parade has gone by.

3) Color— Children love color. Adults are charmed by bright, colorful floats. That is one reason the RTD parade is so attractive and the previous one was such a dud was color.

4) Magic— A Disney parade has to have magic. That means animation on the float, or colorful lights or water falls or confetti. I think that the present parade has magic with the water and jumping puppets. I remember the older parades that released balloons at several places on the route. As a child, I was so excited to see the balloons float to the sky.

5) Length— I think that six or seven units are the minimum number. Just five seems a bit short. Some of the recent parades gave the impression that it was too short. After all, if you wait for a hour to get a good spot to see the parade and then have the parade over in 15 minutes, it leaves a bad impression with you.

6) Interaction— I think of all the Disney parades, interaction was a big selling point. Kids are drawn to the characters. Adults love to film their kids with the parade participants. WDW does something that is boring. They put kids and adults who were watching the parade, in their parades. That is BORING. Parents love watching their own kids in the parade, but no one likes watching other kids just walk in the parade. This is boring!

7) Theme— A good theme can make or break the parade. The Mardi Gras theme was very popular. Any type of party theme works well. My favorite part of the EP was the Cinderella unit because it was the royal ball and the dancing was going. Both kids and adults loved that one. Other party themes like New Years, Happy Birthday, or Halloween would work fine. There are many others that could be done.

8) Grand Finale— A great parade has a punch at the end. Santa Claus provides a perfect example for the Christmas parades. Mickey and Minnie, do that somewhat, but I am thinking of the big finish. Those balloons were always released at the end. It was a simple thing, but you always hoped that they would stop and release them right in front of you.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite
    I have that parade video, thank you very much.

What I am looking for are people's specific ideas/opinions of what they would like to see.
    but I see where you're coming from.
    Trouble is I don't know what I want to see until I see it. I'm not the creative person here.
    Also, it helps to have a great movie to create off of.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Animatronic

I'd like to see some clever technology. It was the interlocking music that impressed me with the Main Street Electrical Parade back in the day. With today's computers, I'd expect to see the areas the parade moves through change to reflect the float passing by much like the whole park is used in the current fireworks show.

I'd like to see stronger visual themes that capture the imagination. Something that presents itself as a spectacle. I remember a parade as a child with a whole royal court of dancers doing period dance all lit by period lamps. It was like a scene from a movie.

I'd like to see more hot chicks. I know that's the timeless lure of parades, but it's worth saying. Hot chicks are good.

In summary, Technology, Spectacle, Hot Chicks.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Quote Originally Posted by disney24/7
    maybe a parade of attraction floats, with the characters on looking like they're actually riding the ride.
    This is actually what I was hoping the 50th parade would be, something completely Disneyland-centric. Instead, we get yet another generic "Beauty and the Beast" and "Lion King" unit. Like that hasn't already been done to death! At least the lead unit is the Train Station and the finale is Sleeping Beauty Castle, but everything inbetween is a little, I don't know, generic.

(I haven't actually seen PoD in person, only pictures and video.)

I know this doesn't really answer the question posed in the thread... sorry.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• The one, the only...

I was thinking about it for a while. What theme could been done other than a party. It would have to be one that both kids and adults would like.

Then I thought of it. What about a parade of sweets? Cookies, cakes, candy, pies, chocolate. Then have the characters ride floats of their favorite sweets.

This theme would be colorful. It would put the characters in a slightly different setting. You could have a giant cupcake go down the street. A giant gumdrop. Then a gummy-bear float. Of course, you have to have Ice Cream. You could even finish it off with a banana-split with Mickey riding a giant cherry!

I know that it sounds kind of corny, but if all the other elements were included, it would be fun. For the magic part, what about releasing smells of the different floats, like cinnamon, banana bread, chocolate, strawberry, pumpkin and apple pie.

It is just an idea that I had. I am sure that there are others.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market
    I like the candy idea JiminyCricketFan. They should throw candy to the crowd off the floats!

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    This is actually what I was hoping the 50th parade would be, something completely Disneyland-centric. Instead, we get yet another generic "Beauty and the Beast" and "Lion King" unit. Like that hasn't already been done to death! At least the lead unit is the Train Station and the finale is Sleeping Beauty Castle, but everything inbetween is a little, I don't know, generic.

(I haven't actually seen PoD in person, only pictures and video.)

I know this doesn't really answer the question posed in the thread... sorry.
    WOW I totally agree. Now with Block Party Bash... now thats what I imagine a Disney parade should be like. High energy, lots of fun and audience interaction. SO much to see. Was hoping Parade of Dreams would have had more! The floats were nice I do agree with that.Also I loved the Hercules prarde from Zero to Hero that was fun too!

"This guy!"

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    I put in a vote for a diverse cast of characters. Bring out the characters that are not seen as often in the park. I saw Friar Tuck & Prince John at WDW. Bring them to Disneyland. Maleficent face character. We want her too!

If you are going to start to integrate the Muppets more into the parks, then have a Muppet float.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast