Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Know More Than You Should

Club 33 No Longer Accepting Applicants?

MousePlanet posted this this morning:

We've heard that Disneyland's Club 33 has stopped accepting applications for membership at this time, fueling speculation that the Club may return to its "invitation only" roots. We've also heard that Guest Services is distributing information about the Club dress code when guests of members pick up their tickets.
    This just makes me all the more glad that I sent in my application a few weeks ago. It's unfortunate if true, but MP was fairly light on the details. Has anyone else heard about this?

• Knight of Naughtyness

Re: Club 33 No Longer Accepting Applicants?

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    MousePlanet posted this this morning:

This just makes me all the more glad that I sent in my application a few weeks ago. It's unfortunate if true, but MP was fairly light on the details. Has anyone else heard about this?
    I am wondering what they are going to do with the people who have been waiting and waiting and waiting. Seems like if this is true, and they go to an invite-only type of membership, then they will want to just toss the current wait-list.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

•   
    • Senior Minion

Is this an April Fools joke??? I'm so confused now ... I don't know what's true and what isn't.

• Minion

They aren't accepting applicants before I'm old enough to apply.
    The daydream princess

• A Pirate's life for me!

I've been on the "waiting" list coming up on six years now.

Out of all of the people on the list to "invite", I'm sure I won't be one of them. Not a movie star, gazillionaire or famous for just being famous.

I'm just an average guy with the desire to be a member.

Just my luck!

• Blind to His Own Faults

Interesting...has this never happened before? It's a fairly common practice among other "member only" facilities (Country Clubs, Spas, private dinner clubs). Enacting moratoriums is usually an indicator that wait lists have become too long, and membership application processing is becoming too taxing.
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 04-02-2007 at 10:04 AM.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Interesting...has this never happened before? It's a fairly common practice among other "member only" facilities (Country Clubs, Spas, private dinner clubs).
    I don't recall ever hearing about a club switching to a stricter plan... The magic castle comes to mind where it was once by invitation only, but now practically anyone can join.
    -Osky

Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

.-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Interesting...has this never happened before? It's a fairly common practice among other "member only" facilities (Country Clubs, Spas, private dinner clubs). Enacting moritoriums is usually an indicator that wait lists have become too long, and membership application processing is becoming too taxing.
    I really think fo'c's'le swab's explanation is the correct one. The number of applications and people on the waiting list has become absurdly large.

I considered the possibility that perhaps the membership has become too uncultured, with over drinking and misbehavior taking place. And that Disney would like to see a more well mannered better dressed membership. But that point of view just doesn't seem to fit. Would Disney rather have Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan doing lines of coke in the bathroom and being disruptive, or non-celebrities dressed well and enjoying a quiet dinner?

Besides, the whole dress code issue could simply be fixed with a letter to the membership.

I think the real issue is precisely what fo'c's'le swab described and nothing more. My wife and I and another couple are having dinner at the Club this coming weekend. I'll see what I can find out. Then we'll be at the hub noon Sunday to talk with our fellow micechatters.

Interesting...has this never happened before? It's a fairly common practice among other "member only" facilities (Country Clubs, Spas, private dinner clubs). Enacting moritoriums is usually an indicator that wait lists have become too long, and membership application processing is becoming too taxing.
    Well, recent posts here have mentioned a wait list of well over 1000 people (might have been closer to 2000) and the fact that in the last three years there have been no openings -- all current members have renewed. Even if 10 members dropped off every year (far more than have dropped) and the list was just 1000 people long (a low estimate), that makes for a 100 year wait list. Likely two or three times longer if the drop-off number is smaller.

Whether or not Club 33 states the list is closed, it's effectively closed anyway.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by KDR View Post
    Even if 10 members dropped off every year (far more than have dropped) and the list was just 1000 people long (a low estimate), that makes for a 100 year wait list. Likely two or three times longer if the drop-off number is smaller.
    From my understanding, quite a few people on the wait-list do not become members when their time is up. Many move and do not update their address. Some aren't quite in the best financial situation when their time comes. Others are no longer interested. My guess is that if 10 people actually did drop their membership, they would go through quite a bit more than the first ten on the list. I imagine as the wait gets longer, the number of people on the list that won't take advantage when they are at the top increases quite a bit too.
    -Osky

• Comin' at ya!

Does anyone know how much it costs to be a member? if you apply, don't you need to have enough money?
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2006 View Post
    Does anyone know how much it costs to be a member? if you apply, don't you need to have enough money?
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=20

Be advised that the fees for all recently increased. For gold it is now $9,500 to join and $3,175 dues.
    -Osky

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by KDR View Post
    Well, recent posts here have mentioned a wait list of well over 1000 people (might have been closer to 2000) and the fact that in the last three years there have been no openings -- all current members have renewed. Even if 10 members dropped off every year (far more than have dropped) and the list was just 1000 people long (a low estimate), that makes for a 100 year wait list. Likely two or three times longer if the drop-off number is smaller.

Whether or not Club 33 states the list is closed, it's effectively closed anyway.
    Perhaps, but I would guess that a fairly large number of people "on the list" are just speculating. When the time comes to pony up the fees I'd expect a good percenage of them will evaporate.

If there are just too many people on the list, then I would suggest they add a $1,000 fee just for getting on the list. Fully applicable to your intial fees when joining but not refundable if you decide not to. That would cut down on the riff-raff. or in an ever growing and more prosperous world, jack up the fees until supply meets demand.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Knight of Naughtyness

Keep in mind that the club does have a fairly new manager, so this could be the new manager's method of dealing with the situation. It could also be rumor. Opus1guy might know a little more, and I'm sure he will see this thread.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    From my understanding, quite a few people on the wait-list do not become members when their time is up. Many move and do not update their address. Some aren't quite in the best financial situation when their time comes. Others are no longer interested. My guess is that if 10 people actually did drop their membership, they would go through quite a bit more than the first ten on the list. I imagine as the wait gets longer, the number of people on the list that won't take advantage when they are at the top increases quite a bit too.
    True, but I was being exceedingly generous with a 10-member drop-off per year. From talking with several people, I have gathered that there are finally a few openings this year. A few. For the first time in three years. At the most, we're looking at perhaps 2 openings per year. How many people on the list do you think they go through to fill one spot? Even if you make it an enormous 10:1 ratio, you're only looking at 20 people coming off the list every year (on average). And since my earlier post I did a little research -- the list is over 1600 people long (found a link to an article posted here). 1600 divided by 20 is 80.

An 80-year wait list.

I stand by my earlier assertion that the list is effectively closed due to length, regardless of what the Club announces. To be honest, I think it's good of them to say so -- it would give people false expectations otherwise.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast