Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Comin' at ya!

Disneyland on 9-11?

Was anyone there that day? Did they force everyone to leave, or just run things as usual? What was it like?
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Disneyland on 9-11?

I wasn't there, but being a local I do remember the news broadcasts here stating that it was closed.

• Mickey Mouse Slave

well, the park doesnt open until 9AM. I believe they just didnt bother opening the park. i remember waking up at 7AM hearing that the WTC has collapse.

i believe it was too early.
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Yeah I believe it was closed. I had driven to school (Cal State Fullerton at the time) and by the time I got there and parked and was walking to my first class around 10 or 11 they announced classes were cancelled for the rest of the day. Understandable but I had just driven almost 30 miles to school for nothing. I wanted to go to Disneyland but my dad told me to go straight home.

• Minion

I think any major public place was closed on that day just as a precaution.

• SoCal "Select" Cheapskate

I wasn't there, but I was working for the County of Orange at the time for the Board of Supervisors, and we were monitoring county terror threats / security. I do recall that Disneyland did open that day (I think) and subsequently closed. I do not know for sure since we were handling so many other things at the time.

When we heard that Disneyland closed, we increased County security knowing that if d-land closed, there would be a public perception that everyone needed to be ready for,

• Circle of Ancients

DisneyWorld closed after the attacks, Disneyland never opened that day.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I wasn't at Disneyland that day but I was at Disney World the following day.

It was a ghost town, was nice because we could get on every ride immediately but was sad because no one was there. I imagine they cancelled most of the shows etc.. but honestly I don't remember much other than the lack of people.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I wasn't at Disneyland that day but I was at Disney World the following day.

It was a ghost town, was nice because we could get on every ride immediately but was sad because no one was there. I imagine they cancelled most of the shows etc.. but honestly I don't remember much other than the lack of people.
    I was at the DLR two days after, and saw DCA for the first time that day. All the guests in the park, it seemed, could have gotten a couple of large tables and had coffee together. Didn't go into Disneyland but it could not have been too much more crowded there. Had tickets for an Angel game the night of 9/12, but that of course was postponed as were all major sporting events at least for the remainder of that week.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

Actually the only day I know for sure that Disneyland had an unscheduled closing (aside from weather problems) was November 22, 1963.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

Tuesday, September 11th, 2001 Disneyland was scheduled to open at 10:00 AM and close at 8:00 PM. The attacks were over and done with hours before Disneyland was scheduled to open, and so it simply remained closed.

They sent a bunch of Characters over to the Hotels to entertain the people that were staying on property but had nothing to do except watch TV.

I was supposed to go to Universal Studios that morning with some out of town friends, and I remember standing in my kitchen around 8:00 AM calling Universal to see if they were going to open. Surprisingly, I got right through to a operator and she told me Universal Studios would not open that day. Disneyland did the exact same thing.

• Winter in Oceanside...

That picture gives me the shivers....

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    That picture gives me the shivers....
    Yes. Me, too.

And then I realized what it is. I haven't seen very many pictures of Main Street in the middle of the day without a person on it, when it should have been packed. Yes they did have regularly scheduled park closures in the old days, but under the circumstances of 9/11 that picture is really eery.

• Banned User

What were the days after like? The 12th, 13th, 14th, and so on? Was anybody actually there? What was the vibe like?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast