Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is DCA's "Block Party Bash" a big mistake?

I just found out some details about DCA's 50th Anniversary parade. It will showcase only Pixar characters (23 of them) and feature contemporary pop songs like "Macarena" and "Who Let the Dogs Out." It will apparently have a great many dancers with hip-hop choreography with performers on stilts and with jump ropes. Green Army men will usher in the parade that has two 10 minite show stops and does not move at the normal slow pace of most parades.

Um...is it just me or does this parade sound absolutely lame? Here was a chance for Disney to give DCA a dose of good old-fashioned CLASSIC Disney -- or at least a parade with a classic FEEL and a special theme SONG we walk away humming. Instead what are we getting? Hip-hop dancers? Green Army men? "Who Let the Dogs Out?" (...scratching my head...)

Sorry, but it sounds like another souped-up version of the ghastly "Eureka" parade that tried, with horrible results, to be modern, edgy and up-beat. This one at least showcases some "Disney" characters but otherwise sounds pretty awful to me and the exact direction DCA should NOT be going.

What do you think? Should Disney have tried to go more in the timeless/classic route with its DCA parade, or does this modern hip-hop infused parade fit the park better?

• e komo mai

Macarena? Yikes. It was just voted one of the worst songs ever on VH1 and rightfully so.

This is a collaboration of many suits that lack creativity of any kind. They're looking at a bunch of charts of what was popular and trying to piece something out of it.

They should have tried something unique and creative, what they did was basically in line with the rest of the themes in the park: nothing.

If this parade is truly something that is going to happen, I have no plans to watch it.

• Maximus

Don't be discouraged by all that - it's going to be a very energetic parade that I have a lot of faith in. It should do better than Eureka. And you say "ONLY 23 Pixar characters" as if it's not enough -- I think that's about right. I've heard some of the sound track and just rest assured that the Macarena and Who Let The Dogs out are not main parts of the parade soundtrack. More like a small little gag. Whoever gave that info was misinformed. And also The Green Army Men are from Toy Story 1 & 2... you mention them as if they're completely out of place. The point of BPB is to NOT have a classic parade feel -- to be more of a show. DCA already has a parade: the Electrical Parade. It can't get anymore "classic" then that.

Please give BPB a chance before making such harsh judgements about it. There's still SOO much about the parade yet to be revealed - I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by NERDEUS
    Please give BPB a chance before making such harsh judgements about it. There's still SOO much about the parade yet to be revealed - I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.
    Maybe you're right. But with DCA's track record of doing things 'on the cheap', I have little faith. But your post reminded me to try and be more positive about it. I'll try.

• Boozer, User, and Loser

It sounds interesting to me. Granted it's not classic Disney, but that's what Disneyland is for. DCA is still trying to find an identity without trying to steal Disneyland's. We'll see how this works out

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    First off, this is not a Parade, but the "Block Party Bash", Jay Rasulo used the term "celebration" at the Investor's conference, and was very carefully to not use the "P" word, as has all official descriptions of the event by Disney....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• behind the curtain

For some reason I have a hard time associating "Who Let the Dogs Out" with Disney.... Ah well, at least it'll bring some energy to DCA.

• Rock Star Minion

Exploiting Pixar characters has one of two effects:
    1. It shows Pixar how Disney can make anyone's creations last forever.
    2. It shows Pixar how much Disney is willing to exploit anyone's characters (under disney contract) forever.

I don't think #2 is as pervasive a thought as #1. Disney is showing Pixar how important these characters are by putting them at the same level of importance as The Princesses and Pooh. No other studio/distribution company can do this -- and Pixar knows it.
    Note: it's just a parade. Parades are mostly for kids (and their parents). Disney theme parks are known for their parades. They had better be good. This seems better than Tragic.

Good thoughts everyone, and a good reminder to me not to be so quick to put down something we still know very little about. As it is though, the concept still comes across as possibly weak. I'm sure most people will react to it with a "Hmmm...that could be interesting..." rather than a "Wow, let's make sure we see that!"

The "Electrical Parade", though a classic, is wearing thin at DCA. Attendance has been minimal at best for months. DCA NEEDS a really great parade (block party...whatever you want to call it), so let's hope they deliver!

• wasting time

It'll be in DCA.

Who'll notice ?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    The last parade I remember with 10 minute show stops was Light Magic (shudder). I sure hope that Disney has learned the lessons of the past.

I'll give this show the benefit of the doubt, but DCA could really use a smash hit right about now.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Pirate Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    They should have tried something unique and creative, what they did was basically in line with the rest of the themes in the park: nothing.
    I kinda agree here. Although I'm willing to give the Block Party a chance, it does seem suspiciously similar to DCA's previous suit-approved failures. We cannot, of course, judge until the day one performance, but to me the Disney Company has always (until recent management generations) stood for cutting-edge, risk-taking creativity. Just because we love DL for that mentality doesn't mean DCA can't build on it as well. The simple fact that not-popular-anymore one-hit-wonders (if you can really call them "hits") are being woven into a Disney idea has me baffled. Its avoiding risks because its just safer that way. Its assuming you know what the people want even tho I don't know a single person who WANTS to hear any of those songs.

In spite of my criticisms, I do have faith in the use of Pixar characters as I believe they have their place in Disney entertainment and as we don't want DL overrun by them, and DCA is in need of the Disney touch, they just fit. Let's hope the Party's a pleaser, not a pooper.

it's supposed to be good, and we entertainmant folks are excited about it.

it hasn't gone through nine layers of suits, either- so that line is null.

i've heard nothing about either the macarena and who let the dogs out as part of the track, but i do know that the section for monsters, inc. is "shout!" with the lyric always replaced with "scream!"

"you know ya make me wanna SCREAM!
    kick my heels up and SCREAM!
    throw my hands back and SCREAM..."
    etc.

it should be really cute, and though i don't know all the details, it's important to remember that the creative staff behind block party knows all about the mistakes of the past and the ill will they generated, and they're in no hurry to re-enact any of those proceedings with the result of any new project.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by dancinmanCA
    "you know ya make me wanna SCREAM!
    kick my heels up and SCREAM!
    throw my hands back and SCREAM..."
    Isn't that what Ashlee Simpson sang at a football half time show before she was booed?

• Pirate Princess

Quote Originally Posted by dancinmanCA
    it should be really cute, and though i don't know all the details, it's important to remember that the creative staff behind block party knows all about the mistakes of the past and the ill will they generated, and they're in no hurry to re-enact any of those proceedings with the result of any new project.
    I think I speak for all of us when I say that's great news, but please understand our hesitation. We'll sing its praises if the show is deserving, but until it debuts, we're kinda not sure what to expect.

I'll keep an open mind tho. Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast