Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Making Christmas memories

Hey Everyone - Just getting our Christmas Disneyland trip in the works, and I was wondering if anyone ( I KNOW you're out there) has any tips or advice on visiting during this time of year. We will be in the park Dec 23rd, 24th and 25th and I have on 6 year old with our party. I am so excited for this trip and can't wait to get back to Disneyland, this will be my 4th trip! Whoo-hoo! Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks so much guys! jsdmn2

Update 4/17/07: I just confirmed our trip plans for my birthday week instead from 12/03/07 thru 12/07/07and was able to get a suite at the DL Hotel, so thank you to everyone who recommended getting reservations early! I am sooooo looking forward to this, a little less than 8 months to go! I love hearing about everyones love of the holidays at the park...... Makes me wish it was Christmas already! jsdmn2
    Last edited by jsdmn2; 04-17-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Update

• Minion

Re: Making Christmas memories

Quote Originally Posted by jsdmn2 View Post
    Hey Everyone - Just getting our Christmas Disneyland trip in the works (jealous yet?) and I was wondering if anyone ( I KNOW you're out there) has any tips or advice on visiting during this time of year. We will be in the park Dec 23rd, 24th and 25th and I have on 6 year old with our party. I am so excited for this trip and can't wait to get back to Disneyland, this will be my 4th trip! Whoo-hoo! Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks so much guys! jsdmn2
    It is gorgeous then. We will be there from Dec 22-Jan 2nd also. Advice, make priority seating ressies. Make sure you take the kids to Pluto's Roundup. Take time to see all the decorations and not just run ride to ride. Make sure you book the room early. They are already selling out in some places.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I hate to sound negative, but the park will be PACKED (beautiful, though). I suggest that every day you're there, get to the park right at opening, gather/plan your fastpasses for the day, and wait in line for the E-tickets in the morning first.

But make sure to enjoy and take in the beautiful decorations they have. I suggest having lunch or dinner at Cafe Orleans...New Orleans Square, IMO is by far the most beautiful place in the park, and with the decorations, well naturally it makes it more so.

Oh yeah, make reservations for food spots if you want to go anywhere nice.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Be sure and enjoy all those special seasonal treats they have at X-mas time--eat everything you see.

• Eeyore smiling

Do you mean your 4th xmas season trip, or do you mean your 4th trip to Disneyland?
    We go every year either for New Years or Thanksgiving (last NYE, this Thanksgiving) we alternate. We always stay at the Disneyland Hotel, and I make my reservations a year or more in advance. We get enough to go to split a 3 bedroom Suite. We have our holiday meal at Hooks Pointe, and I make priorty seating on the first day I can. We are at the part as soon as we are allowed, and follow the advice given above, we leave and relax on downtown disney and at the hotels for the majority of the afternoon, and we go back in after dark to enjoy the evening in the park. We are never in a rush, we try to enjoy the sights and laugh at the crowds, even on new year's eve.
    ENJOY! But get your hotel reservations locked down NOW

• Man O Lantern

We've been there the week after Christmas, the week after Thanksgiving (twice) and a week mid-December, and while it's busy, the park hours are extended, it's beautiful and it's the best time!

No one is cranky because it's the holiday season, and the temps are nice--it's not like you're in line for an hour and it's 95 degrees out!

Be sure to slow your pace and take it all in. I esp. love the Grand Californian lobby and tree. Go in by the fire an hour before you eat dinner at Storytellers (hint hint) and order drinks and lounge for a while. It's so nice and feels like Christmas.

Have fun!

• Miss Marvel

I agree that New Orleans Square has the best decorations in the park. Think of Victorian oranments and garland with a Cajun twist! Beautiful!Also, they hang an alligator/crocodile (?) in a wreath in the middle of NOS. Not to miss.

My husband, at the time my boyfriend , and I have a picture of us with Goofy Claus at the Toontown Gazebo. I don't know if they still do Goofy Claus, but I think it's much more unique to Disneyland then a picture with Santa.

I don't know if you know this, but in Oct.-Jan., the Haunted Mansion turns into a Nightmare Before XMAS dark ride. It's great, in my opinion, but be prepared. There's nothing worse then looking forward to a Disney classic and being disappointed.

XMAS sweets and themed food pops up all over the park. Don't miss it!
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• Eeyore smiling

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    We've been there the week after Christmas, the week after Thanksgiving (twice) and a week mid-December, and while it's busy, the park hours are extended, it's beautiful and it's the best time!

No one is cranky because it's the holiday season, and the temps are nice--it's not like you're in line for an hour and it's 95 degrees out!

Be sure to slow your pace and take it all in. I esp. love the Grand Californian lobby and tree. Go in by the fire an hour before you eat dinner at Storytellers (hint hint) and order drinks and lounge for a while. It's so nice and feels like Christmas.

Have fun!
    This is such good advice. Although busier, the park is at full hours, full staff and maximum ride capacity, which makes the lines go quickly. Also you do not have ride closures for rehab, like they do other "slow times" of the year.

Meanwhile I just made a trip the first week of March, it was Sunday, Monday Tuesday (before spring break, 03-04 to 03-06) it was my first non-holiday trip in 8 years, so needless to say I could not get enough of Haunted Mansion! But I was SHOCKED at the wait in lines, that was a complete surprise, although something I knew was a good possiblity. So when people say it is way too crowded at Christmas, I must say it is very manageable.

• Banned User

Be sure you go to ALL areas possible. Go back in the Courtyard of Angels and take family photos. There's always someone standing around who will do it for you. The little nooks and crannies are all so cute!! We missed Toontown in November, and I am so mad at myself for not going back there to check the Christmas decor. Also, take advantage of the fun little things you can do for free like decorating cookies in Santa's Reindeer Round-Up, and getting a photo with Santa back there too. There's SO much to see and do. Also, I highly recommend being in the areas where it's snowing after the fireworks. It was on Main Street and back by IASW when we were there in November, and it was so magical!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kath2188 View Post
    Although busier, the park is at full hours, full staff and maximum ride capacity, which makes the lines go quickly. So when people say it is way too crowded at Christmas, I must say it is very manageable.
    In 3 years of going Christmas/New Years week, the lines don't go faster, the more people there are, during that week....unless there's rain.

This last time, the lines for the Matterhorn were very slow. I was there for 8 days Dec. 23-Jan 1 2007.....and I never saw the Matterhorn line go down, nor short wait. I barely got to ride once, and that was waiting in line 1/2 hour close to midnight!

It's very festive and exciting, but short of rain, or early mornings...I would plan on long lines.

Dec 24 will be interesting because it's on a Monday--this year, and I've found the Monday Morning Malaise.....seems to extend into the afternoon, and sometimes beyond. Of course, once evening comes around, the visitors begin to accumulate......and they shut the park early for Christmas Eve. Hope they don't have a crowd of angry guests, irate and mulling around at 9pm, with an early Christmas Eve closure like last year!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    Dec 24 will be interesting because it's on a Monday--this year, and I've found the Monday Morning Malaise.....seems to extend into the afternoon, and sometimes beyond. Of course, once evening comes around, the visitors begin to accumulate......and they shut the park early for Christmas Eve. Hope they don't have a crowd of angry guests, irate and mulling around at 9pm, with an early Christmas Eve closure like last year!
    I don't remember any angry crowds myself. Christmas Eve was fun, as was Christmas Day. Make sure to make priority seatings early. Since you are only there 3 days, get to the park early. Expect a possible closure on Christmas Day. If it does close, it should reopen by 4 in the afternoon...
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Since I will be there the 1st week of December instead, I'm hoping that the resort will still be decked out for xmas..... And I'm looking forward to spending my birthday in the park, dream team here I come!

So, are the crowds pretty thin this time of year.....? I'm kind of hoping they are....

• Minion

We went then in 2005. It was very quite. We never used one fastpass and never waited more than 5 min to ride anything! We are going back at the same time NEXT year(Holy Cow thats far away).We missed all the christmas stuff when we went in Feb.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    We went then in 2005. It was very quite. We never used one fastpass and never waited more than 5 min to ride anything! We are going back at the same time NEXT year(Holy Cow thats far away).We missed all the christmas stuff when we went in Feb.
    We go for Christmas each year. While Christmas Day wasn't as bad as New Years Eve 2005, it was still very busy. The early morning was quiet, but by afternoon it was at capacity. Expect it to be crowded between the 23rd and 25th as schools are out.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    We go for Christmas each year. While Christmas Day wasn't as bad as New Years Eve 2005, it was still very busy. The early morning was quiet, but by afternoon it was at capacity. Expect it to be crowded between the 23rd and 25th as schools are out.
    She (TheOP)changed her dates. She was asking about the first week of Dec. That is what my info is about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast