Disneyland Shipping Destroys Art

Hey Folks.

So Sad.

My wife and I were at the parks last weekend, and were delighted to discover that some of the beautiful mixed media sculptures by Michelle Valigura were still avialble for sale at the Disney Gallery. My wife and I got engaged at the park, honeymooned there, and are pretty big disney fans in general.

I never thought I'd be able to buy an original piece of art from the parks, but we were totally smitten by Peter Pan and The Lost Boys - a fantastic sculpture that really resonated with the kids in both of our hearts. We agreed that we had to have it, and started to negotiate with the gallery about the sale.

Apparently we would be unable to take it home with us that weekend, as the gallery has 'special people' who are the only ones allowed to handle the one-of-a-kind art, and they weren't available at the time to package our purchase. The gallery castmembers assured me everything would be fine with shipping, and that their 'special people' were trained on how to handle such delicate art. One castmember in particular flat out told me that it would be safer with their shipping dept. then being carried back home by hand in our car (we live in Oakland). I've had serious trouble with DelivEars and ther shipping methods before, but with hesitance and after many 'you guys better not screw this up' discussions I accpeted their line and went ahead and had it shipped.

So, it arrived yesterday, horribly broken. Whoever packed it simply wrapped some bubble wrap around it and plunked it into a used and too small box that, by looking at the exterior info, appears to be designed to ship plush toys from China to the resort. I paid a PREMIUM price on shipping for this?? They disrespected the piece and the artist - seems like as soon as it was a sale it turned into 'just another piece of merch' to the shippers... I don't even know what to say. I can't believe they would treat an original piece of art in such a disrespectful manner. The piece is broken - they assured me that they would give a full refund if we were dissatisfied after we received the piece... but i don't want a refund, I want my wedding present back - the one that moved my wife and I to make a purchase that we never thought we could afford at this point in our lives. Honestly, i would pay money at this point for someone else to have walked with the sculpture - at least it would be intact and able to be appreciated by someone else... but now? Who knows what they will do with it when I return it.

Wife in tears, I have to listen to her cry herself to sleep. Heart broken, upset, angry, dissapointed.. so many emotions.

Never ever ever let them ship something that you can't afford to lose, people. Apparently it's just not a priority for them, not matter what they tell you or how much you pay for the service. I can't even imagine what I would pay at this point for the priveledge of driving 12+ hours round trip to pick it up instead of the horror that is their shipping practices.

Damn you, Disney.

-R

Exclamation Re: Disneyland Shipping Destroys Art

Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
    Wife in tears, I have to listen to her cry herself to sleep. Heart broken, upset, angry, dissapointed.. so many emotions.
    As sad as it may be, I don't think it's worth "crying to sleep". You act as if they killed a family member. Isn't there really more important things in life to focus on? War going on... homeless families starving, etc...

Of course I think you should (if you haven't already) write a letter to Disney so they know exactly what you were told by the cast members about how safe shipping would be. Although they offered you a full refund, so that's about all they can do at this point.
    Last edited by Wesley815; 04-06-2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Minor changes
    -Wes

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Re: Disneyland Shipping Destroys Art

Have you called? They will replace but not the shipping(even though it is ALL their fault in the first place!)
    I had the same trouble with disneyshopping and I received a broken Haunted Mansion tapestry about 1 1/2 years ago. Very disappointed, but eventually they did replace it. Thank god, because the site said they were sold out of that piece within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    As sad as it may be... I don't think it's worth crying over. You act as if they killed a family member. Isn't there really more important things in life to focus on?
    True, but that's not what this post is about.

It's a one of a kind piece of art, and it's destroyed now. As an artist myself, I think that's a pretty big deal. People just need to be aware that they bill the 'Gallery' as a legit place, but they ship their stuff like it's $2.00 merch that can be replaced at minimal cost. I'd hate to see another mice chatter duped by their persuasive staff into believeing that they have any control over their shipping department, which is known to be suspect.

-R

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    Have you called? They will replace but not the shipping(even though it is ALL their fault in the first place!)
    I had the same trouble with disneyshopping and I received a broken Haunted Mansion tapestry about 1 1/2 years ago. Very disappointed, but eventually they did replace it. Thank god, because the site said they were sold out of that piece within a week.
    Yeah, I got the box after 8:00 last night after I got home from work, so I haven't been able to call yet. I don't know how they are going to make this right, as it's an original and can't be replaced - short of having the artist produce another.

-R

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    I had problems with shipping with Disney Shopping. When I ordered the Musical History Of Disneyland, they shipped it by DHL. It never came. They said they shipped it. It turned out the driver was a flake and disappeared from work, with my purchase. So they sent me a new one. I finally got though, but I curse whenever I see a DHL truck.

• Banned User

I also don't think it's worth crying yourself to sleep but maybe you've never experienced sadder things in your life, I don't know.

I think it's awful about how they shipped it and it all broke, that's ridiculous. I've had breakables shipped before by other companies and they come pretty much TOO wrapped up. I wonder why Disney couldn't think to be more careful?

• Minion

I'd be a little PO'd if I was the artist, too. You make a piece of art for someone to enjoy and then it gets destroyed. Was it a one of a kind?

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Wait? This was an original, irreplaceable piece of art? I figured you meant original as in replica of the original that looks exactly the same. I would be on their case in a heartbeat.
    These weren't all that big sculptures and I don't think you should have had any trouble carrying them by hand. Did you have to pay for shipping or was it included?

• Directly directed

I'm very sorry that happened to you. In my experience Disney will do whatever they can to make it up to you, and if you talk to them calmly they will be alot more helpful.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

That's terrible I'm an artist too, I can see what a shame this is.

I hope Disney fixes all of this for you.

• Yes ... Wicked! ;)

If you are having problems with some Disney Merchandise that was shipped to you BY Disney, try calling this number:

800-362-4533

They might be able to help you.