Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Ever wonder what happens to all the "stuff" lost at Disneyland?

From today's Orange County Register:

Fullerton 'sleuth' helps Disneyland guests

Betsy Chan reunites tourists with some of the 200,000 items lost annually.

By BARBARA GIASONE
    The Orange County Register
    FULLERTON –Betsy Chan feels a bit like the 1930s fictional film character Detective Charlie Chan, who used personable skills to solve what could have been baffling mysteries.
    Fullerton's Chan plays detective at Disneyland Resort, attempting to reunite some of the 200,000 lost items with their owners.
    As one of the Guest Relations hostesses, Chan, 22, helps visitors fill out claim forms, researches possible links and digs through bins of found articles. She works at the Lost & Found Department near the entrance to California Adventure.
    With a background in Fullerton Assisteens, National Charity League, Sunny Hills High School performance arts, Meals on Wheels and Soak City Lifeguard, Chan was an easy choice for the role. Disneyland officials praise her listening skills and compassion in working with the public.
    Question: What are among the most unusual items turned in to the department?
    Answer:There have been dentures, a glass eyeball, wigs, oxygen tanks and diabetes kits. I personally logged in a toilet seat and a leg cast. Last year, there were 40,000 hats and 20,000 glasses.
    Q:How do you try and locate the owner?
    A. With keys, for example, there are often grocery cards we can trace. Or if there's a rental car I.D., we make the connection. About 70 percent of the items are returned the same day. And if a tourist has left the area, we will mail a found item at no charge.
    Q:What do you do with unclaimed items?
    A.We donate the articles to the Goodwill in Santa Ana for its "Disneyland Lost and Found Sale." We average about 18 boxes a week.
    Q.What's the most expensive item that's been turned in?
    A.One of our workers found a wallet with $18,000 in cash. The money was reunited with the owner, who had been put in charge of holding all the family's funds. Someone also turned in a diamond ring found in a restroom.
    Q. What's your job satisfaction?
    A.Reuniting people with their possessions.

(I loved that she revealed in her bio that she's reading "Why People Believe Weird Things" by the founder of the Skeptics Society, Michael Shermer.)

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1643741.php

• no flash photography...

Re: Ever wonder what happens to all the "stuff" lost at Disneyland?

my daughters BF lost his keys on our last trip. We reported them missing, filled out the report and were told to try back the next day. We went to lost and found prior to leaving and he was reunited with his keys. DL has an mazing lost and found department. Another time we lost a walk about and it was mailed to our house.

• Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    my daughters BF lost his keys on our last trip. We reported them missing, filled out the report and were told to try back the next day. We went to lost and found prior to leaving and he was reunited with his keys. DL has an mazing lost and found department. Another time we lost a walk about and it was mailed to our house.
    what is a walk about?
    *Thecoolestaw*

• Minion

I was reunited with my cell phone after I lost it inside Mansion. I received it in the mail 2 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoolestaw16 View Post
    what is a walk about?
    Oh...it's about putting one foot in front of the other.

(Sorry...had a Wally Boag moment there)

• Banned User

Its pretty good that we have some good people out there that return things.

My friend lost his wallet at Taste of Chaos. He got it retuned with everything. My brother lost his wallet that same night, He never got anything back.

My grandpa left his wallet at a gas station in Bakersfield. He got it returned in his mailbox a month later with everything in it, except his $850.

• Minion

My son has been reunited with many caps. He has a tendancy to forget he was wearing them... We even received one in the mail we didn't lose.... But it was close.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Oh...it's about putting one foot in front of the other.

(Sorry...had a Wally Boag moment there)

i dont get it! how would you get that mailed to you?
    *Thecoolestaw*

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by thecoolestaw16 View Post
    what is a walk about?
    maybe it a talk about. we haven't used them in years, but it was basically a walkie talkie...

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    I was reunited with my cell phone after I lost it inside Mansion. I received it in the mail 2 days later.
    Were you laying on the stretch room floor taking pics of the ceiling too?!

Thats where I lost mine and the cell phone made it back to my house in St. Louis before I did! They are VERY good about getting stuff back to you!

• For You!

So, has anyone ever been to the lost and found sale?? I bet it would be very interesting to see.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Eeyore smiling

And noone is mentioning the 18k that represented a family's joint money? Man I want to vacation with that family!!!

• Banned User

My brother lost our very first Digital camera in Star Tours, It was like 400 bucks(like 2 years ago)! We filed for it at lost and found and they never found it. I guess someone just stole it and ran off.

• Who's your DaddyB?

I left my prescription (bifocal) sunglasses on a trash can once, and they were never returned. They were very cool vintage tortoise shell rayban clubmaster frames, so I can't say I ever expected them back if found by someone who realized how valuable they were. I sure do wish DL had found them, though.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    So, has anyone ever been to the lost and found sale?? I bet it would be very interesting to see.
    In the 60's and 70's Disneyland handled the sale of unclaimed items themselves, and they used to have them backstage every so often and I think the proceeds then went to the DRC (Disneyland Recreation Club...the Cast event organization), but I could be wrong about that. They had dozens of tables spread out in the whole backstage area between Tomorrowland and Main Street (Space Mountain was not there yet, so there was lots more room). When they opened for sale...it was a madhouse! But it was such fun. Within hours everything was pretty much picked through and about 80% was sold. Incredible deals.

Looks like now they let the Goodwill handle it? I wonder if Cast Members still get first shot at everything? It was a nice little perk for those Cast Members on a tight budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast