Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Mermaid
    OK, no offense, but the color of your text kills my eyes, so I just kinda skip over your posts.

I'm sure you have brilliant ideas, but my poor eyes will never be able to adjust to that light green/yellow color!
    I fixed that problem on all of the posts in this thread and all of my newer posts as of june 11, 2005

• Sock Puppet

rock on love all the christmas posts

• Iron-Clad Allie

Hire a Santa Clause to ride along with California Screamin' guests. He would greet people as they board the trains, and hand them elf hats and riendeer antlers to wear on the ride. Then, they would be told that there will be a special gift for anyone that does not lose their headgear during the ride.

There would be a tv commercial for the new ride, and the slogan would be, "This holiday season, get sleighed by Santa!"
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-15-2005 at 07:29 PM.

• Huh?

Ok, so you want something that will fulfill the requirements of not looking like a direct-to-video version of a ride, not require too many closures and once, and makes plenty of sense?

Well, look no further than Splash Mountain, for there is a theme that would fit perfectly and would be a major event only every four years.

And look no further than the other Walt of Disney, Walt Kelly.

For those that know the animators of Disney, you'll know that Walt Kelly made a very successful comic strip called Pogo. And it was a very political comic at times. So, what better than the Splash Mountain Election Day Special?

Just as the America Sings characters fit in nicely with the Song of the South Characters, the Pogo Characters would fit in nicely with many of the Splash Mountain characters.

So, picture this: Standing in for Brer Bear and Brer Fox are The Deacon and Molester. They've got a candidate lined up, but so do Albert, Cherchy LaFemme, and Howland. But as usual, Pogo does not really want to run for the Presidency. But, no matter -- Deacon and Molester are still out to do anything that they can in order to shut down their campaign so that their candidate can win the election. Hijinks and hilarity ensue as Pogo just tries to go off fishing with Porky Pine to avoid the whole ordeal. Best of all, they do have yet another obscure, rarely seen film to base it off of: "I Go Pogo." Unfamiliarity with Song of the South didn't hurt Splash Mountain, so why would it hurt this version? Besides, Stan Freberg, Ruth Buzzi, and Jonathan Winters are still available to reprise their roles! (RIP Vincent Price )

On top of that, we do have several songs from the movie or Songs of the Pogo to include.

Change in scenery wouldn't be too dramatic -- I could see Chik-a-Pin Hill easily converted into the Okeefenokee Swamp.

Timeframe for attraction opening: When the presidential election starts to heat up to about the time of the inauguration. So, open long enough to make a change only every 4 years worth it.

The only big problem? Disney probably doesn't own any rights to Pogo, so they'd need to get the rights from his family. But might not be a problem since he was one of the early animators.

Or, if they want to keep with the holiday theme, they could do Christmas and have a splash-a-long with "Deck us all with boston charlie."
    -Tim

• Circle of Ancients

I had the idea of a santa hat on top of a mountain and a castle, but then I thot it over and said that it would look awfully tacky. Cute, but still tacky. It would also take away from the forced perspective elements used in the parks. They could add some decorum to King Arthur Carousel, like Garland and ornaments. NOS is already pretty much all decked out for the holidays (halloween-christmas lol) And it is true that Pirates is already decked out over Spring break... the only problem is Disney doesn't do it, the kids do. But a little more holiday wouldn't hurt, I just don't think that we need to re-do too much: too many attraction down for refurb (b4 and after) and not enough of the original DL. I did come up with an idea for a " 'Tis the Season Fantasmic! " Add in many holiday/winter scenes (skating snowflakes/fairies --- from Fantasia), decorated floats, Mark Twain. And start off with "'Twas the Night b4 Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring not even a mouse... But inside his head little Mickey did see visions fantastic of the holiday yet to be..."

Hunting Day

I really like the idea of Buzz Lightyear. So I was thinking that maybe for Hunting Day (if there is such a thing), put guns on all the boats, targets on all the dolls, and have a Shootem up @ Small World. I think the line for that one would go all the way to the entrance to the park. People get scores for how many dolls they shoot. Now that's an idea :-)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding
    I did come up with an idea for a " 'Tis the Season Fantasmic! " Add in many holiday/winter scenes (skating snowflakes/fairies --- from Fantasia), decorated floats, Mark Twain. And start off with "'Twas the Night b4 Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring not even a mouse... But inside his head little Mickey did see visions fantastic of the holiday yet to be..."
    LOVE this idea! Great job! I think that this could really work well. And although there is probably not enough time, this could solve the Believe Holiday vs. Remember dilemna. Show Remember, but play the Holiday themed Fantasmic! I especially love the opening line you wrote. I can totally hear that being said over the speakers, then hearing that long opening note of Fantasmic with maybe some sleigh bells mixed in. Maybe change the colors of the dancing fountains to Red and Green? A Nightmare B4 Xmas section would fit really well.Good thinking!

• Huh?

I once convinced somebody that when WDW's Small World reopens, it would reopen as "it's a small world rave" in which the kids would now represent the various types of ravers of the world, the boats would be standing-only as it would have DDR pads for each rider, the song would be several dance remixes of small world, and the only faces not maddeningly happy would be the out-of-place goth kid that's dying because of all the raveness and the cyber-goth who's in denial about being a raver.

I can't believe I was taken seriously....
    -Tim

• Former CM

Besides the 2 already done I do like the idea of Storybook and Autopia. Otherwise I think maybe seeing some headhunters on Jungle Cruise with Santa hats may be funny.

• Circle of Ancients

Tis the Season: Fantasmic!

Quote Originally Posted by grvtydefy
    LOVE this idea! Great job! I think that this could really work well. And although there is probably not enough time, this could solve the Believe Holiday vs. Remember dilemna. Show Remember, but play the Holiday themed Fantasmic! I especially love the opening line you wrote. I can totally hear that being said over the speakers, then hearing that long opening note of Fantasmic with maybe some sleigh bells mixed in. Maybe change the colors of the dancing fountains to Red and Green? A Nightmare B4 Xmas section would fit really well.Good thinking!
    I also had the idea of adding a snowfall over Tom Sawyer Island. The original theme song would remain with some well mixed Christmas favorites.

The show would begin with that line, then transition to the opening (I love your idea of the sleigh bells! lol). Mickey would be seen with the colored waters and fireworks (red,green,blue,white etc.) Then the snowfall would begin. Sorcerer Mickey would be directing it and would fade into the skating snowflakes/fairy projections. The show would continue with other holiday elements including scenes from B&B: Enchanted Christmas, Princess Holiday floats, Pinocchio gathering other toys to perform on the Island, Christmas tree decorating, and would be interupted by Maleficent, furious at this Christmas delight. The themes would then clash into a Nightmare Before Christmas sequence (as you suggested). The tree (in the center of Sawyer Island) would turn all old and moldy. The Disney Villains would all come about and the finale would occur with the battle between the Holiday Nightmare and the Christmas Delight. The dragon would appear and Mickey would have to fight it off with all the powers of Christmas memories from the past. The finale would be longer and include a Mickey's Christmas Carol Sequence ending with the Mark Twain (Holiday version), with snowflakes skating on the Island. Of course Peter Pan would need to be incorporated, but it would work quite well (in my dreams anyway... :o )

• Minion

Great ideas. I decided to expand on them (hopefully that's ok) and make a more in-depth description of the show. It's kinda long, and pretty detailed, but I was bored.

"Tis the Season Fantasmic!"
    The show opens with a woman's voice, as she says "Twas the Night before Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse... But inside his head little Mickey did see visions fantastic of the holiday yet to be..."
    That first, long note plays, as sounds of sleigh bells are heard. The show then progresses as usual, but the dancing fountains are red and green, and then blue and white at one point.
    The show remains unchanged until after the Sorcerer's Apprentice part. After Mickey crashes the comets together, rather than twinkling down and becoming flowers on the screen, the sparkles become snowflakes, twirling and dancing. On the stage, snowflake dancers spin gracefully. Snow falls over the crowd. This is during the usual music, the "See it in your mind, and you can find, in your imagination, mysteries and magic, visions fantastic, leading to strange and wondrous dreams..." part. This beautiful snowy section would continue for the rest of the instrumental part that follows.
    Then, when the music usually goes to the jungle-y part, we hear instead an instrumental version of "What's This?" from NBC. As Jack discovers Christmasland on the screen, the snowflake dancers go into a much faster dance on the stage, as Xmas lights go on all over the island, and flicker with the music. The music reaches a crescendo with the "this looks like fun, this looks like fun, oh could it be I've found my wish. WHAT IS THIS!" part (instrumental) and suddenly all the lights go dark, as do the screens. We see Mickey's eyes on the screens, as he says "Hey, where'd everybody go?" just like normal.
    The columbia (decked out for the holidays) fires her cannon, and the regular Peter Pan section happens, although Peter would be wearing a Santa hat, and the banter between him and Hook would be changed to something more along the lines of "Merry Christmas you codfish! (laughs) And a happy New Year!" "Oh it will be, Pan, when I finally capture you." and so on...
    The princess section follows, just like normal, although their floats will look xmas-y, and they will be wearing winter clothes (with the exception of Ariel). Rather then fading into the more ominous evil queen part, the music would then fade into some mechanical noises, as Pinoc and pals get the presents ready in Santa's Workshop, to the songs "I've got no strings" and "Jingle Bells" woven together. As they finish, they place the presents in a ring in the center of the island and leave.
    "Jingle Bells" fades into "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" as Mickey and pals (in christmas garb") enter and gather round the presents. A tree suddenly rises in the center of the ring (think DCA's LuminAria), as they dance around it, decorating it. They dance off, as "Rudolph" slows ominously and stops, as the Wicked Queen enters. She gazes at the tree in disgust as...

Before I finish this (which will take awhile) I just want to make sure somebody is actually reading it! Does anybody want me to continue, or should I stop?

• Circle of Ancients

CONTINUE! CONTINUE! I love this. We need to go be Imagineers! LOL

You encompassed my ideas completely for the snow and the princesses. I just didn't have the time or the energy to expand since I am writing a novel right now! Keep it up! The idea for Pinocchio was an excellent twist on my idea. I still think that NBC would make a good transition to the Villains though... but continue... In the words of dear departed Thurl, they're GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Three ideas...

!) The Splash Mountain Christmas Carol

Like HMH, this would entail a thematic overlay and temporary changes
    to a classic attraction. Thus, a new holiday storyline would be created
    that is based on the Dickins' classic, A Christmas Carol. Intended as a
    farce. Uncle Remos' Song of the South characters would assume the
    roles of Dickin's characters. Here's what I have in mind -

Brer Rabbit as Brer Scrooge
    Brer Fox as the Brer Ghost of Christmas Present
    Brer Bear as the Brer Ghost of Christmas Past
    Tar Baby as the Tar Ghost of Christmas Future
    Mr. Bluebird as Bob Cratchit
    Miss Nellie (a butterfly) as Mrs. Cratchit
    Brer Frog as Brer Tiny Tim - who almost croaks, but is saved by
    Brer Scrooge's change of heart in the end.

2) Holiday Land Canal Boats

The miniature Storybook Land houses, castles and grounds would be
    decked-out with miniature Christmas lights, ornaments, traditional
    Santa related Christmas scenes, Disney character Christmas scenes,
    and beautiful Nativity scenes. Essentially, it would be a miniature
    "Christmas Tree Lane" type of experience.

3) Jungle "Yuletide" Cruise

The wild animals would participate in the rituals of Christmas, each in
    their own way. Some would wear Santa hats. Others would have
    humorous holiday greeting messages written on signs that are on
    them. The crockadile would pop out of the water while bearing a
    wrapped present (stolen from the skipper) inside it's mouth. And a
    scared elf would join the scene where the hunter and natives are
    clinging to a tree, while trying to avoid a rhyno.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-16-2005 at 03:02 PM.

• kevsgarden

Jungle Cruise Christmas!

Out of all these, I think the Tiki Room has my vote. That would be awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing one of the restaurants do a Christmas style menu. The Christmas cookies was a good idea, but maybe have hungry bear or one of the others have a big old fireplace, and serve hot chocolate and other Christmas goodies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123