Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: Bring the people mover back with NO MOVIE THEME!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    To claim that a tie in is needed has no real basis in the reality of Disneyland. The in park transportaion (Disneyland Railroad, Main Street Vehicles, Canoes) all still survive to this day. The PeopleMover is dismissed today because of the E-Ticket mentality that everything new must be an E-Ticket or it will never fly with the public.
    The Canoes and Omnibus didn't cost 30 million dollars to build, which seems to be the minimum for attraction costs at DL these days.

If you're going to spend 30 million dollars to bring back the PeopleMover, wouldn't you want to make sure people were going to flock to it? Aren't you going to make sure you can actually make back your 30 million dollars?

That's why they need to either theme it to a movie or make it a thrill ride. The old Peoplemover has almost zero marketability.

Peoplemover will either come back as a 4 minute thrill ride, or possibly as a dark ride with the track length shortened.

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    If you're going to spend 30 million dollars to bring back the PeopleMover, wouldn't you want to make sure people were going to flock to it? Aren't you going to make sure you can actually make back your 30 million dollars?

That's why they need to either theme it to a movie or make it a thrill ride. The old Peoplemover has almost zero marketability.

Peoplemover will either come back as a 4 minute thrill ride, or possibly as a dark ride with the track length shortened.
    This argument makes some rather crass assumptions about the intelligence and sophistication of Disneyland guests. If it were true that the masses craved only thrill rides and couldn't distinguish an attraction's quality without a movie tie-in, then we'd all be in a forum discussing Universal Studios.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    This argument makes some rather crass assumptions about the intelligence and sophistication of Disneyland guests. If it were true that the masses craved only thrill rides and couldn't distinguish an attraction's quality without a movie tie-in, then we'd all be in a forum discussing Universal Studios.
    You can say that again.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Thanks for pointing this out so shrewdly and succinctly, saving everybody the trouble of reading the ridiculously long post I was going to write, which fundamentally said the same thing!

A TL without PM is like a bicycle without wheels!

I propose we produce some buttons that promote a PM slogan such as:

Bring Back The PeopleMover!

Or

The PeopleMover Belongs In Tomorrowland!

Or

TL ( PM )

or you come up with something.

Then we distribute the buttons while we are waiting in lines and such. Especially at the Nemo opening!

Once the management sees how many people are wearing the buttons, they will seriously consider commitment to PM.

I offer the first $100 to fund the button campaign!!

• Special Agent

It's very true that folks want thrill rides over tour rides. This is why Big Thunder replaced Nature's Wonderland. This is also why a majority of attractions opened at Disneyland after 1977 were thrill rides. To deny that thrill rides are easier to market and provide a better return on investment is to demonstrate your lack of knowledge of theme park operations.

• Drunk On Disney!

Re: A TL without PM is like a bicycle without wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    I propose we produce some buttons that promote a PM slogan such as:

Bring Back The PeopleMover!

Or

The PeopleMover Belongs In Tomorrowland!

Or

TL ( PM )

or you come up with something.

Then we distribute the buttons while we are waiting in lines and such. Especially at the Nemo opening!

Once the management sees how many people are wearing the buttons, they will seriously consider commitment to PM.

I offer the first $100 to fund the button campaign!!
    This is a great idea! I would buy one in an instant!

Oh I have another idea for the people mover.
    Make it so that you go through a couple of show buildings with dioramas of cities with all kinds of skyways, monorail beams people movers, bridges,
    You know kind of to show all those transpotation devices in work!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

It's very true that folks want thrill rides over tour rides. This is why Big Thunder replaced Nature's Wonderland. This is also why a majority of attractions opened at Disneyland after 1977 were thrill rides. To deny that thrill rides are easier to market and provide a better return on investment is to demonstrate your lack of knowledge of theme park operations.

It's all about balance. The Disney park was keeping with the times and that meant introducing more thrills to the park. Disneyland has a fantastic mix of both thrills and attractions for all ages. If you no longer cater to the 'all audiences' category, then the park will become six flags.

If you look at the most recent slate of attractions, none of them were thrill rides. Toy Story Mania, Finding Nemo Submarines, Monsters Inc, Buzz Lightyear, and Winnie the Pooh...and I guess Tower of Terror was the one thrill ride there.

And while $30million on a thrill ride gaurantees more bodies in the park, bringing back the People Mover preserves something far more important than bodies: quality.

Disneyland is the 2nd most attended park in the world. They have no problem attracting people so adding an attraction that can facilitate a mass amount of people while giving them an enjoyable ride that isn't 2 minutes long will leave a more lasting impression on the guests in the long run. It's a ride that they will never have to say "no, you guys go on ahead... i'm just too old to handle that one."

Universal, Knotts, and Six Flags are all slipping in attendance. They're the ones that need to be careful about how they spend $30 million. But unbeknownst to them, they'd attract more bodies more frequently if they had more rides like the People Mover.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Universal, Knotts, and Six Flags are all slipping in attendance. They're the ones that need to be careful about how they spend $30 million. But unbeknownst to them, they'd attract more bodies more frequently if they had more rides like the People Mover.
    I couldn't agree more. I took my 8 year old son to Knott's last November and the only ride we went on multiple times was the Calico Mine Train. It turned out to be one of his favorites -- it still is one of mine. It is really a relaxing ride, and even though it is really just a well done dark ride, it could be considered Knott's Peoplemover!

• insufferable know-it-all

And yet, a park without balance, that is, a park that only adds thrill rides, can also suffer, as Magic Mountain's on-again, off-again sale rumors would suggest.

There is a way ti make a E-ticket quality attraction on that track without resorting to making it another silly thrill ride: story and animatronics. Breaking with the general (and I daresay even my own) opinion on this thread, there is a tie-in that would be very cool, though it'd be a book, not a Disney film. (other studios have made films of it though): The Time Machine by HG Wells. Or actually, I'd dispense with the tie-in and just call it "a" time machine so you're not tied down by the story.

Extend the peoplemover track down behind Main Street, add a queue entrance off Main Street, perhaps over by the parade gate, that way guests board in the past and ride through the future. To add an extra layer of appeal to this, imagine if that long ride down behind Main Street were in a show building with AA's doing a revised version of the CoP show before taking you on a tour of the future.

NOW you have a near-Pirates quality slow E-ticket!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    yoyoflamingo is right...Tron was an add-on.

What everyone seems to be missing is, Disney can try to cram a movie down the old track's throat, but no matter what they do, they can't avoid the inevitable fact that that track's purpose is to take you on a tour of Tomorrowland. They can't just turn the whole thing into The Incredibles or Meet the Robinsons...sure, they can design the vehicles to be the same or reminiscint, but past that, there's not much else they can do. You have to go through Star Tours, Space Mountain, Innoventions, BLAB (plus all that air-time)...there's not really any room for them to place guests with a lot of elements from the movies. The extra thing they could do would be to have someone as your Tomorrowland tour guide.

If a movie is tied-in, it's not going to be overkill. It simply can't be done.
    I don't agree. Just because you "go thru" Space Mountain and the other attractions, there's very little "peek-aboo" left. Space Mountain's windows are blacked out and you can't see into HISTA or BLAB, so it doesn't have to be a TOUR of Tomorrowland anymore. Those tunnels and indoor spaces can have AAs or show scenes all depicting one movie, such as MEET THE ROBINSONS, with outdoor scenes being an outdoor flyover.

• Inhospitable about happy

Folks, get over it. The Peoplemover CAN NOT be brought back in its original form. It CAN'T happen. When they put in the Rocket Rods they lost the legal right to "grandfather" in a resurrected Peoplemover, and OSHA regulations do not allow a ride like that anymore. If you can reach out of the vehicle and touch walls (which you could on the PM), then it's ILLEGAL now. They would have to tear down and redesign practically every building the PM goes through in order to get the walls further away from the track. Al Lutz discussed this in one of his columns.

The PM ain't EVER coming back in its original form. Get over it. It's the law.

• Comin' at ya!

I kinda like the idea of it having an incredibles theme...
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I don't think a second theme is needed, because the PeopleMover was 'theme' all it's own - the theme of the future.

• Hiding in the shadows

Its only monday and already a new PM thread, gotta love it!!!

The issue with the people mover (if they are going to bring it back at all...I hope they do) is really getting Disney to spend enough money to make it a quality attraction (themed or not). So the question is what will draw crowds, not only at the opening but to come and ride over and over again, and be able to sell themed related merchandise (have to make some of that money somewhere or there is no business case to bring it back..sorry its the financial analyst in me), again after the newness of the ride wears off.

I love the monorail full circle, not just for getting from Tomorrowland to DD, its just cool to ride it. But I don't own a bunch of monorail merch, and a lot of people I know only ride it as a mode of transportation. So if the PM was just the old PM, that started and stopped at the same location, then at some point it goes back to being that ride people go on to rest. This worked in the past, but now it seems that if its not a thrill ride Disney is going to theme it because of the merch opportunities. Whether that be MTR or Incredibles or Tron or whatever if Disney felt they could make money moving forward on that merch (and have another outlet for possible movie sequels) in the future then it may be worth an extra $6M and we get a better quality ride. The only other option is to extend the track so the PM is aactually a mode of transportation throughout DL.

So really, the question is how much are you willing to give up in budget on the ride with no theme? I realize it sucks, and its not like I have a say anyway, but I would be willing to deal with any of the movie overlays if they were done right with big budget, because I don't just want the PM back, I want it to be a high quality ride.

OK, I am going back in my corner now

A little piece of heaven

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast