Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Drunk On Disney!

Re: Bring the people mover back with NO MOVIE THEME!

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Folks, get over it. The Peoplemover CAN NOT be brought back in its original form. It CAN'T happen. When they put in the Rocket Rods they lost the legal right to "grandfather" in a resurrected Peoplemover, and OSHA regulations do not allow a ride like that anymore. If you can reach out of the vehicle and touch walls (which you could on the PM), then it's ILLEGAL now. They would have to tear down and redesign practically every building the PM goes through in order to get the walls further away from the track. Al Lutz discussed this in one of his columns.

The PM ain't EVER coming back in its original form. Get over it. It's the law.
    Yes but you could make the cars have walls so people cant reach out.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Folks, get over it. The Peoplemover CAN NOT be brought back in its original form. It CAN'T happen. When they put in the Rocket Rods they lost the legal right to "grandfather" in a resurrected Peoplemover, and OSHA regulations do not allow a ride like that anymore. If you can reach out of the vehicle and touch walls (which you could on the PM), then it's ILLEGAL now. They would have to tear down and redesign practically every building the PM goes through in order to get the walls further away from the track. Al Lutz discussed this in one of his columns.

Thanks for telling us all something we already know. Nobody is saying the ride needs to be the exact same thing. It's just bringing a new form of the ride (without it being illegal) and the discussion of it having a theme or not.

Vehicles can be redesigned. I'm open to that.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

HatBox--I believe the real debate here to be the theme-ing of the PM itself--as a "tour of Tomorrowland" sans any movie-ties (it's "original" form), or a new incarnation involving movie elements. I think most realize that design changes would have to be made, as the "original" people mover trains would not be available for re-use in any case.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    OK, I am going back in my corner now
    Yes, get back into your corner and THINK about what you have done, young lady! Theme-ing the PM to a movie...you need a time-out

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Yes, get back into your corner and THINK about what you have done, young lady! Theme-ing the PM to a movie...you need a time-out
    I think I have thought too much today as it is

A little piece of heaven

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    The People Mover is great and offers something many rides don't: an aerial view of the park and a chance to sit down and relax without having your toes crushed by the crowds.

When People Mover was closed, capacity wasn't this problematic and fast pass certainly wasn't invented. I think People Mover would be even MORE welcome now than ever before.
    Right. Fastpasses could say "Relax and wait for your Fastpass time in the Peoplemover. Or get active inside Innoventions." I'm sure guests would like to get away from the crowds for a while. Peoplemover certainly fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    ...instead of a static audio program, have "channels" that guests can select for their audio, giving them a choice...

What I would NOT like to see: remember the tv's in the cars on Superstar Limo? That hideous thing blaring at you? I don't want to see that or anything like it. Guests should be looking OUTSIDE the car, not inside it.
    Well... why not a CHOICE to have a TV screen on or off. Just like the audio CHOICE.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Sector Two Droid Repair

Hey! The people mover is not a flop house!
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: A TL without PM is like a bicycle without wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    I propose we produce some buttons that promote a PM slogan. Then we distribute the buttons while we are waiting in lines and such. Especially at the Nemo opening!

Once the management sees how many people are wearing the buttons, they will seriously consider commitment to PM.
    Wasn't this attempted for Country Bears??

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsplash View Post
    Make it so that you go through a couple of show buildings with dioramas of cities with all kinds of skyways, monorail beams people movers, bridges,
    You know kind of to show all those transpotation devices in work!
    I think this is similar to WDW's EPCOT center model, right?

Maybe either a copy of EPCOT center's model or if the filmmakers made a model of the future city in MTR, they could put it beside PM.

I thought of putting the life-size TL transportation vehicles in as an exhibit in the Grand Canyon diorama for the trains...

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I don't agree. Just because you "go thru" Space Mountain and the other attractions, there's very little "peek-aboo" left. Space Mountain's windows are blacked out and you can't see into HISTA or BLAB, so it doesn't have to be a TOUR of Tomorrowland anymore.
    Video monitors could show stock footage of SM, HISTA, BLAB, etc. During the indoor segments, you could have video screens (ala EPCOT's Gran Fiesta) showing a Star Wars or Buzz Lightyear attack in space. Wall video monitors designed to look like windows. Saves on space issues and you have something to look at. These could also have a few random programs to play. For Star Wars: lightsaber duel, space battle, laser gun fight, Starspeeder passing by... For Buzz: Recruiting rangers, LGMs, encounter with Zurg, Buzz vs Zurg, etc.

Now THAT could have some repeatability. But I can see the "movie vs AA" argument now.

OH, maybe add a couple fog screens. That could have futuristic holographic designs!

Could also have multi-colored laser effects. You're inside dark tunnels after all...

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    So if the PM was just the old PM, that started and stopped at the same location, then at some point it goes back to being that ride people go on to rest. This worked in the past. The only other option is to extend the track so the PM is actually a mode of transportation throughout DL.
    I think the original station, a station in the 2nd floor Starcade, and station above MBC for Fantasyland could be good. I wouldn't want to try spread PM over the entire park. There would be plenty of issues with that. Actually, I've been thinking MBC could have FL themed maze. So it'd be neat to have a PM station somewhere in the maze and near its entrance.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 04-09-2007 at 12:18 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    If you look at the most recent slate of attractions, none of them were thrill rides. Toy Story Mania, Finding Nemo Submarines, Monsters Inc, Buzz Lightyear, and Winnie the Pooh...and I guess Tower of Terror was the one thrill ride there.
    I never argued that the Peoplemover HAD to be a thrill ride. I stated that it would either come back as a thrill ride, or a ride with a movie theme. If you look at the list above, every single one of those attractions had a movie theme. Steve Gutenberg filcks included.

That list above proves that attractions need either be a thrill ride, or have a movie theme.

And while $30million on a thrill ride gaurantees more bodies in the park, bringing back the People Mover preserves something far more important than bodies: quality.
    The PeopleMover as it existed when it closed, was not a quality attraction. That simple tour of Tomorrowland will never come back.

I don't doubt though that a ride will be built there sooner or later, simply because it will be cheaper to re-use the existing infrastructure than to build a whole new attraction. But it will be tied into a movie theme.

Disneyland is the 2nd most attended park in the world. They have no problem attracting people so adding an attraction that can facilitate a mass amount of people while giving them an enjoyable ride that isn't 2 minutes long will leave a more lasting impression on the guests in the long run. It's a ride that they will never have to say "no, you guys go on ahead... i'm just too old to handle that one."
    Yeah but if you bring back the old PeopleMover you will end up getting guests who say "You go ahead, I'm gonna go get in line for Space Mountain." Having the capacity is worthless if you don't have an attraction that will attract guests.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsplash View Post
    Yes but you could make the cars have walls so people cant reach out.
    That might not be the issue at all. DOSH may require three feet of clearance between the vehicle and the walls - regardless if the vehicle is enclosed or not.

Afterall if the vehicle is enclosed and there is a fire or a need to evacuate the facility - where would the guests go if the doors of the vehicle opened into a wall?

• Ardent WDW Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I never argued that the Peoplemover HAD to be a thrill ride. I stated that it would either come back as a thrill ride, or a ride with a movie theme. If you look at the list above, every single one of those attractions had a movie theme. Steve Gutenberg filcks included.
    Actually the ride came before the movie, like POTC (think about it where in the world would you find a structure that looks like a ToT Hotel, wide bases with narrower tall towers not coming from the center of the structure are not athestically pleasing.) In fact rumor has it that the sucess of that TV movie is what spauned the Ride to Movie Trio of Country Bears, Pirates of the Carribean and Haunted Mansion (1 out of 3 aint bad.)

• Cretan

Nice, this is a perfect example of regurgitating someone else's information, but with more mock authority. Everything is negotiable, that's what attorneys are for. Regulations are made by men, and they're able to be changed by men (women too, don't yell). Disney is a big and influential company. If it wants something bad enough, never say never.
    Stop being greedy.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker"

• Cretan

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    And yet, a park without balance, that is, a park that only adds thrill rides, can also suffer, as Magic Mountain's on-again, off-again sale rumors would suggest.

There is a way ti make a E-ticket quality attraction on that track without resorting to making it another silly thrill ride: story and animatronics. Breaking with the general (and I daresay even my own) opinion on this thread, there is a tie-in that would be very cool, though it'd be a book, not a Disney film. (other studios have made films of it though): The Time Machine by HG Wells. Or actually, I'd dispense with the tie-in and just call it "a" time machine so you're not tied down by the story.

Extend the peoplemover track down behind Main Street, add a queue entrance off Main Street, perhaps over by the parade gate, that way guests board in the past and ride through the future. To add an extra layer of appeal to this, imagine if that long ride down behind Main Street were in a show building with AA's doing a revised version of the CoP show before taking you on a tour of the future.

NOW you have a near-Pirates quality slow E-ticket!
    Now this is an interesting idea. I'm serious, this is really appealing and I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility (technically, finacially, etc.)
    Stop being greedy.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker"

• U. B. Bold

To deny that thrill rides are easier to market and provide a better return on investment is to demonstrate your lack of knowledge of theme park operations.
    Oh here we go again.

Who's denying that they are easier to market? Disneyland has never been about doing what's easiest, it's about doing what's best.

As anyone who has ever played Roller Coaster Tycoon can point out, a good park needs a ballance of thrills and more gentle attractions. The old PM provided some of that ballance for Tomorrowland and bringing it back in some new form could do the same.

By the way Mr Liver, what makes you such an expert on theme park operations?
    Last edited by BigThunder; 04-09-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typing error
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The PeopleMover as it existed when it closed, was not a quality attraction.
    SAY THAT TO MY FACE! SAY THAT TO MY FACE!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast