•   
    • Senior Minion

Anybody been using Ridemax during Spring Break?

Curious if anyone has used Ridemax during this busy time for Spring Break. From what I have read, the park may be even more busy than anticipated. Curious if the Ridemax itineraries have been able to keep up.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Re: Anybody been using Ridemax during Spring Break?

What is Ridemax?

• no flash photography...

ridemax is a program where you input what rides you want to go on and when you want to take breaks and it will give you a schedule with minimal waits. It worked great when I use to use it, but after a while you just realize where to go and when for minimal waits.

I would recommend it though. it was wonderful. We finished our schedule way ahead of time during a july weekend.

• Defying gravity

I have heard about RideMax, but have never used it. Is it really that helpful? I mean, how can a computer program anticipate ride waits, closures, weather delays, etc? I think I am perfectly capable of scheduling myself.

• no flash photography...

that's what my mother said. She was annoyed I brought a schedule, but after the second ride she was asking what was next on the schedule. When we finished all the rides ahead of schedule she said, "we have never gotten that many rides in this early in the day.". It was pretty cool to use. If a ride was down we just went to what was next on the list...not a big deal.

• Know More Than You Should

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I have heard about RideMax, but have never used it. Is it really that helpful? I mean, how can a computer program anticipate ride waits, closures, weather delays, etc? I think I am perfectly capable of scheduling myself.
    It's constantly fed information from the website about closures and such, and they use data based on past years and weeks to approximate wait times. It's supposed to work pretty well, but as mentioned if you're an experienced Disneylander or WDWer you probably can do everything it does yourself.

My issue with it is that I don't want my day to be set in stone- I don't want a tour guide or a program telling me when to do what. I'm all for planning (I made my restaurant reservations for my WDW trip in August 170 days in advance) but I do think a certain amount of sponteneity is important. After all, you're there for the experience, not just to ride every ride and then leave.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Thanks for the answer. I guess I would fall in the category of not needing it.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

I have used it at DLR. As others said, it is an "optimization" program which uses historical wait time data on rides to minimize waiting in line and walking. It gives you an itinerary for whatever scenario you want to do.

When you want to only go on 5-10 rides, and if you know your way around DLR, you can probably come up with a good itinerary on your own. But when you want to do more rides than that, the number of potential combinations gets really large and the software can probably come up with a more optimal itinerary than most DLR experts.

The less you know about DLR, the more helpful it is. And the more crowded DLR is, the more helpful it is. I have never used RideMax for an entire day, and agree that a "rigid" itinerary would not go over very well with my family. However, on busy days we have used it for parts of a day (like the first several hours).

• Comin' at ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    It's constantly fed information from the website about closures and such, and they use data based on past years and weeks to approximate wait times. It's supposed to work pretty well, but as mentioned if you're an experienced Disneylander or WDWer you probably can do everything it does yourself.

My issue with it is that I don't want my day to be set in stone- I don't want a tour guide or a program telling me when to do what. I'm all for planning (I made my restaurant reservations for my WDW trip in August 170 days in advance) but I do think a certain amount of sponteneity is important. After all, you're there for the experience, not just to ride every ride and then leave.
    I agree, I just do what I feel like...
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

What also is a boon of RideMax is that it helps in the decision process when in a group of people that are waaaaaaay too nice. You know the group. The ones who say things like, "no, you go ahead and decide what you want."

"No, you, it's cool."

"Nah, it's kosher, you decide."

"No. You. Decide."

"No, you!"

"You!"

In other, less dramatic terms--it gives you a pattern that does remove the stress of trying to figure out what to do next.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Neep meep beep

I'm a big fan of ridemax - it does make you more efficient, and it has both DCA and Disneyland in it, and has the ability to schedule large chunks of time out for parades, eating, being spontaneous, etc., but also makes you more efficient when you just want to see and get on as many rides as possible.

Like ScubaBE said, however, after a year of using it, you get to know what patterns the program suggests for certain types of rides, and you can use that knowledge yourself. But I think the ride planner is a great help to people that don't go to disneyland that often, and it does provide structure instead of waiting in line.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    What also is a boon of RideMax is that it helps in the decision process when in a group of people that are waaaaaaay too nice. You know the group. The ones who say things like, "no, you go ahead and decide what you want."

"No, you, it's cool."

"Nah, it's kosher, you decide."

"No. You. Decide."

"No, you!"

"You!"

In other, less dramatic terms--it gives you a pattern that does remove the stress of trying to figure out what to do next.

Peace,
    Roo
    Well, even for the "not so nice" folks, infrequent DLR visitors spend a large proportion of their time with their heads in a map trying to figure out "what should we do next?". And then when they get there, the line is too long and they either get in a long line or put their heads back in the map. The helpful thing about RideMax for such people is that there is no wasted time looking at maps and then walking to a ride that looks good on the map only to find out it has an outrageous line. For such people RideMax is a godsend because with little expertise on the visitor's part and with little expense ($15-25) they can get a plan that will save them tons of time.

I agree for regular DLR visitors it has less to offer.

I made my first trip to WDW last year and RideMax really helped me even though I never followed any of their itineraries. By playing with it I got a good idea of how the lines built and was able to use my DLR experience and FP experience to stay ahead of the masses.

I love my Ridemax. I was initially skeptical of how much it could really help me because I can do a pretty darn good job of working the park on my own. However, I found that it helps a LOT. The accuracy it can achieve is uncanny at times.

As others have mentioned, it is especially helpful (even if you know the park well) under special conditions such as a) planning on a very busy day, b) acting as 'tour guide' for a large group - it cuts down the 'what do you want to do?' feedback loop, and c) getting every last possible ride out of your day.

Even if I don't have a particular need to fit in 15 or more rides on a visit, I'll run a schedule and see what it says. Sometimes I follow it, sometimes I don't and navigate the park myself.

The subscription also comes with some great tips and tricks, especially for parade viewing and other shows. Even if you don't like to plan your day, it allows you to build in a lot of flexibility for your schedule.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Sooooo... has anybody used it in the last few weeks? Again I think the park has been a bit more crowded than forecasted for spring break, and I am curious if their ridemax itinerary kept up.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
    Sooooo... has anybody used it in the last few weeks? Again I think the park has been a bit more crowded than forecasted for spring break, and I am curious if their ridemax itinerary kept up.
    Sorry TJ, you need to state your question more clearly next time.

Can't help you there as I haven't been to DLR since last summer. I used RideMax during Thanksgiving week 2005 which of course is a similarly busy time to Spring Break and that was one of the times I actually followed an itinerary. It was very good on its wait time predictions. I have never heard of RideMax being off by so much that it throws off an entire intineray. More typically it is conservative and users get ahead of their schedule.